want to plan a true overland trip/experience 2021.. NY to ME..

• HTML tutorial

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Just what it says.. I want to plan a group ride for next year, spring/summer.. I live 45 minutes east of Erie,PA in NY.. there would be others coming from OH.. I'd like to make a trip to ME and hit some great locations along the way. I have no final destination in ME. I guess what I'm asking is from everybody here that overlands in any of the states between NY and ME, where do you consider "goto" places to be that you would recommend? I'd like to be off the beaten path for a lot of the route..I personally don't care for offroad or 4x4 parks. I have a Tundra with pretty close to stock suspension. I'm going to guess that the majority of vehicles coming along would be pretty close to stock as well. Soo, please help me route this.. Where do you suggest.. I'll start mapping it..I've been to Moose River Plains near Old Forge NY. I've been to Moshannon and BESF in PA, Canaan Loop, Flagpole and Spruce Knob{s} in WV, a good share of the Allegheny/Shanendoah trail in WV/VA and a lot of other places in between..

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Yes and yes! Following this. I’m near Fort Lee, NJ. My wife and I were just planning a trip to Acadia in Maine in 2021. I’ve been wanting to check out NMW and I have gpx files for the NEBDR and some VT routes I’ve been wanting to do as well. I think we are in similar, if not the same, boats. How many days are you thinking?

Last edited:

PBDNavigate

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Catlett, VA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dean
Member #

I live in Virginia and was up there for five nights at the end of July. Not planning on going again until the week before Labor Day weekend (2021). It is hunting season now and the NMW is packed with hunters. Good luck finding a spot to camp. Then the snows begin. The key is to go as late in the season as possible to avoid the majority of the bugs and insects but before moose season begins in late September.

Reactions: phlfly and Scout

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Yes and yes! Following this. I’m near Fort Lee, NJ. My wife and I were just planning a trip to Acadia in Maine in 2021. I’ve been wanting to check out NMW and I have gpx files for the NE corridor and some VT routes I’ve been wanting to do as well. I think we are in similar, if not the same, boats. How many days are you thinking?

It depends really. I work 3rd shift {hopefully back on 1st soon but doubtful}..with that.. I'm thinking leaving on a Friday morning.. Its 6 hrs to Moose River Plains/Old Forge, NY.. from there is where I want to learn/see more..But being gone the whole following week to be home that next Sunday/Monday.9ish days..But I want to plan this for multiple vehicles. I might have to find more local overland groups to whatever route I plan out..I posted here in hopes to get info on areas and then plan a route but it may not work that way..I have winter to plan it. Just figured I better get started on it now..

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

I live in Virginia and was up there for five nights at the end of July. Not planning on going again until the week before Labor Day weekend (2021). It is hunting season now and the NMW is packed with hunters. Good luck finding a spot to camp. Then the snows begin. The key is to go as late in the season as possible to avoid the majority of the bugs and insects but before moose season begins in late September.

I was hoping to plan it for summer months when others woukd have kids out of school..{we don't have kids, just dogs}..Figure itd be easier to plan vaca days. I was thinking late July - Sept sometime. or earlier like late Apri to late May..

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I was looking to do this year but covid killed . so I'm open for 2021 . another I'm looking Michigan Explore . Anyone ?

PBDNavigate

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Catlett, VA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dean
Member #

With all the COVID (aka The Wuhan Red Death) shutdowns this year, it looks like I am going to have a lot of leave in 2021. I would not be opposed to going to NMW twice in one year. I went in late July this year and the bugs were tolerable.

PBDNavigate

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Catlett, VA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dean
Member #

With all the COVID (aka The Wuhan Red Death) shutdowns this year, it looks like I am going to have a lot of leave in 2021. I would not be opposed to going to NMW twice in one year. I went in late July this year and the bugs were tolerable.
It is so depressing thinking about how far away July is right now. Even more so August and September! I am so looking forward to going back again. I have always gone by myself but maybe this year with some new friends.

Reactions: Trm1979

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Yes and yes! Following this. I’m near Fort Lee, NJ. My wife and I were just planning a trip to Acadia in Maine in 2021. I’ve been wanting to check out NMW and I have gpx files for the NEBDR and some VT routes I’ve been wanting to do as well. I think we are in similar, if not the same, boats. How many days are you thinking?

It depends really. I work 3rd shift {hopefully back on 1st soon but doubtful}..with that.. I'm thinking leaving on a Friday morning.. Its 6 hrs to Moose River Plains/Old Forge, NY.. from there is where I want to learn/see more..But being gone the whole following week to be home that next Sunday/Monday.9ish days..But I want to plan this for multiple vehicles. I might have to find more local overland groups to whatever route I plan out..I posted here in hopes to get info on areas and then plan a route but it may not work that way..I have winter to plan it. Just figured I better get started on it now..
Looks like I will be doing some 1-3 legs of NEBDR (NY-VT) starting this Sunday. Might be meeting another OB member near NY/MA. I would love to do the entire route to Maine but I will have to wait for summer and take a few days off of work

Last edited:
Reactions: Trm1979 and Scout

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

Looks like I will be doing some 1-3 legs of NEBDR (NY-VT) starting this Sunday. Might be meeting another OB member near NY/MA. I would love to do the entire route to Maine but I will have to wait for summer and take a few days off of work

I'm interested to hear about your travels..

Reactions: Dusther210

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH

I'm interested to hear about your travels..
I did a little summary of the trip here:

I have more pictures and info I can share on that thread as well. Thanks you for your interest Scout!

Reactions: cgranier and Scout

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Is there any projected date for this?
For routes may I recommend:
-stages 4,5,6 and/or 7 of NEBDR
-a VT puppy dog trail
-the Trans Massachusetts Trail (which would be nice paired with some NEBDR and/or puppy dog)
- I also have a gpx file for a route from Errol NH to the top of a mountain in the Canadien border. I know nothing about this route, including if it’s ever been done or possible... However I do know it takes 45 minutes to get to the start of this from the end of NEBDR per google maps

Btw if anyone has GPX files for NE routes feel free to send them my way :)

Attachments

Reactions: cgranier and Jeff B

KWDavis

Rank II

Pathfinder II

48 Union Street, Westbrook, Maine 04092, United States
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Just what it says.. I want to plan a group ride for next year, spring/summer.. I live 45 minutes east of Erie,PA in NY.. there would be others coming from OH.. I'd like to make a trip to ME and hit some great locations along the way. I have no final destination in ME. I guess what I'm asking is from everybody here that overlands in any of the states between NY and ME, where do you consider "goto" places to be that you would recommend? I'd like to be off the beaten path for a lot of the route..I personally don't care for offroad or 4x4 parks. I have a Tundra with pretty close to stock suspension. I'm going to guess that the majority of vehicles coming along would be pretty close to stock as well. Soo, please help me route this.. Where do you suggest.. I'll start mapping it..I've been to Moose River Plains near Old Forge NY. I've been to Moshannon and BESF in PA, Canaan Loop, Flagpole and Spruce Knob{s} in WV, a good share of the Allegheny/Shanendoah trail in WV/VA and a lot of other places in between..
I live in Portland Maine and New to the group. Was thinking about an NMW or similar trip for 2021. Probably more than 1. Have traveled high north to the caribou area and they have camping, hunting, trails, miles of off road. Not sure how far north you're thinking.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I live in Portland Maine and New to the group. Was thinking about an NMW or similar trip for 2021. Probably more than 1. Have traveled high north to the caribou area and they have camping, hunting, trails, miles of off road. Not sure how far north you're thinking.
You got my attention! Do you know of routes or have gpx files of routes up there? I’m also wondering when is snow a consideration in Maine. I’m trying to figure out when I’m going where I’m 2021. Maine is definitely on the list

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Watching this thread for plans. I'm in New England. Was prepared to meet another member up in VT a while ago but life got in the way and the use of my truck was called for that weekend.

Not having looked up exactly where all of those routes go, I reccomend getting up on top of Mt Greylock, Mt Washington via the Auto Road (this car climbed Mt Washington), and Cadillac Mountain in Maine, where sunlight first hits the east. Freeport Maine where L.L. Bean is would be a nice stop to refresh

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
Plan on Snow in Maine from middle of October to at least May1st. NMW is a working forest, privately owned by timber companies that allow recreational use of their property, for a fee. I've only been up there to camp once. The campsite we stayed at on Lake Umbazookus lake we shared with an older retired couple from Vermont that had the same campsite for the last 20 years for a few weeks in the Summer. It was quiet. We went to visit the ghost trains, pretty area. Talked to a couple couples canoeing the Northern Wilderness waterway. Avoid Black fly season iif you plan on spending any time outside. The season typically runs from Mother's day to the beginning of July. Mosquitoes start hatching from Father's day, and they seem to die off a bit by August and they don't go away until the nights start dipping below freezing, usually in October.

There is also Katahdin Woods and Waters National Monument to visit. Its not as large an area as the NMW, but has terrific views of Mt Katahdin.

Baxter state park is worth a trip, but its mostly geared towards hikers. We did drive through the park a couple times this year to avoid the paved roads. Pick a rainy day, not so much dust kicked up on the tote road.

Buy a Maine Gazeteer. 80% of Maine is privately owned, but Maine has a long history and tradition of allowing public access on private land. The Gazeteer will show you logging roads and paved roads you can travel on. Most roads in Maine go North and South to follow the old railways that were used to haul timber down to Portland and Boston. Typically,any roads going east and west will be dirt.

I'd avoid the auto road to Mt Washington on a weekend, unless you want to stay stuck in a line for hours. I find it more enjoyable to walk up the mountain, but I'm a hiker. Its what I do.

The White Mountain National Forest has free camping in a few places along forest roads. I've never used any of the sites, but they look nice, for primitive camping.

Acadia is worth a visit, but once again, avoid the weekends. I avoid Acadia in the Summer. Too many people, too much traffic. I usually go for a week in the fall, after the tourists are gone and before the park is officially shut down for the season. Its cooler, the fall foliage is brilliant and the hiking trails aren't crowded.

Western Maine is less wild than Northern Maine, but still lots of areas to explore. Coastal Maine is built up and almost unbroken tourist trap. I avoid Rt1 almost all Summer, except for this year. Drove up to Ft Kent on Rt1 on memorial weekend and barely any traffic. Of course, nothing was open due to our crazy governor shutting everything down and tanking the economy out of fear of Covid. Now, its 100 times worse than it was 6 months ago.

For those that may care, Constitutional Carry is the law in Maine. Weed is legal, but having a firearm and in possession of weed is still a federal offense. Keep that in mind.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

We were/are looking to take a trip from GA up to Acadia in the fall. October time frame possibly. Wanting to see all the fall colors going up the east coast.