Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB

A short 2 day trip to check out the snow and trail conditions around June Lake.
Planning to go to Walker Lake/Mono Pass trail head (1st night ) and maybe stop by Obsidian Campground 2nd night.

Explore some of the roads, do some fishing and hiking - conditions permitting.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Hi All,
Event is on! - Though I am really unsure of location conditions ( ie road or campsites ) due to the heavy snow, and now snow melt. So because I like to have a winch but not be forced to use it, we will proceed with having a good time in mind.

Friday - Leave the Bay Area around 10AM and head over to the Mono Lake trail head. Best I can determine there is dispersed camping up there, if we cannot get there, or they have changed the rules, we will find a dispersed site in the area.

Saturday - Check out the sites and explore some ( hike/fish/rockhound - whatever ) - I am bringing my fishing pole, license and inflatable kayak. )

Saturday Night - depending on how things are going head out to Obsidian or Mono Lake - Check out some sites, more hiking, more rockhounding...

Head home Sunday

SAM2CLIMB

Rank III

Traveler III

First Name
Terry
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Hi Advtes, thanks for the update. Look forward to the trip!

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Hi All,
We are green for the trip, if your into fishing, make sure you have your license. Based on what I am seeing there is good stocked rainbows in the lakes (yum!).
This "should" be a easy trip ( i.e., road conditions) - > (ok I am sure I just jinxed us!)

I would like to move up the meet up time to around 8AM on Friday, so if that is hard for anyone let me know. - Meet up location is in the Rally Point
That gives us enough time to get up there and find a nice campsite.
We will be dispersed camping, so plan accordingly.
Campfire/firepits so far as I know are ok and we have a campfire permit. So if you into that feel free to bring along.

I will be emailing everyone separately as well.

Tread Lightly and see ya down the trail
Lizabeth

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Hi All !

Thank you everyone for a wonderful trip - Even during an extreme weather event !!

Trip Summary :

We camped Friday night at Obsidian Campground and then explored some of the trails near there.
It is funny when you get away from the "Go To" places how peaceful everything is. This campsite is nice, has a loo and was not crowded!

Epic views and awesome vistas awaited us at over 8000 ft - plus some cooler weather.
There was still ALOT of snow and areas of snow melt run-off that some of the group trekked through - you know, mud can be fun!

From there we headed down to Mono Lake - and it was HOT! - a few brave souls ventured from our lunch spot at Navy Beach to take a dip in the briney waters! - The lake itself was a around 60ish degrees and surprising delightful to swim in... after of course you mentally edit out the flies and brine shrimp!
One of our crew gave shade to an overheated motorist so he could make some coffee! - Yes we are a friendly bunch!

After melting everyone who was not willing to brave the smelly shore to dip into the saline waters we headed over to Grant Lake in the June Lake loop which was overfull and very cool!!
FYI - There is not really any place to dispersed camp around Grant Lake/June Lake now that the lake is up as any of the roads that used to circle it are now under water.
We did not make it to Walker Trail head as the forest road is closed :(

Feeling refreshed we headed back to Mono Mills to find a dispersed camping spot in the shade of the Pinions and Jeffery pines.

After a night of stories, and dueling fire pits ( yes that is a thing!!) we explored some of the trails in the pumice sands and then as a bonus reel headed over to Virginia Lakes to explore more trails.
There was some Epic scenery on this side of the Sierras and after talking to a couple who were heading the other way found a surprise lunch spot at Dynamo Pond!

>>> Thank You everyone on making the trip fun and being nice to me on my first time doing an OB organized trip - Your generosity is appreciated :hearteyecat:..

A few pics below and a link to our Google Photo Album.
IMG_6028.jpegIMG_6060.jpegIMG_6091.jpegIMG_6030.jpegIMG_6080.jpeg
View attachment IMG_6087.MOV

Attachments