WABDR Sections 3 & 4 7/13-7/15 Completed.

• HTML tutorial

Seattle206

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Seattle, WA
First Name
robert
Last Name
eng
Member #

Will be attempting Sections 3 & 4 with a 5th gen 4Runner and a 2nd gen Tacoma. From what I've read there is a washout in one of these sections. It's passable but only under careful spotting or else a tumble down the cliff side will ruin anybody's day.

Leaving Seattle next Friday at 5:00 pm. Anyone complete these sections lately?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Seattle206

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Seattle, WA
First Name
robert
Last Name
eng
Member #

We completed sections 3 & 4 of the WABDR this weekend. Two rigs, my 5th gen 4Runner and my buddies' 2nd gen Tacoma. Left Friday evening around 5:30 to Ellensburg where we began section 3. We relied mostly on downloaded .gpx tracks off Gaia GPS. Initially, we read that there were a couple major washouts in section 3 south of Cashmere, north of Mission Peak that were almost impassable unless you're a GOOD driver. There is a bypass you can take to HWY 97 for those who want to avoid those washouts but that of course would be too boring. The washouts on section 3 turned out to be very simple to get through, no more than 4HI. We crossed them thinking "okay, now where are those REAL washouts everybody mentioned? This can't be it, or can it?". The majority of the section 3 &4 were done in 2WD and only exercised 4HI now and then.

Finished section 4 by early Sunday afternoon as we head down toward Lake Chelan. Overall sections 3 &4 was quite easy. Any 4WD rig would complete this route with ease. I'd say even a 2WD truck with some decent ground clearance wouldn't have many issues either. We did sections 1 & 2 last summer and found 3 &4 a little more less involved as far as skill wise goes. Section 2 is still my favorite by far. We have plans to complete the WABDR next summer by finishing in the ghost town of Nighhawk at the WA/Canada border.

Packed up and ready to leave Seattle for the weekend.

Beginning of section 3 in Ellensburg.

Stopped by Lion Rock for some beautiful sunset poses lol.

Got to camp around 10:00 pm and set up for the night. Next morning we worked some breakfast before we continued section 3.

Working some bacon and chorizo on that Tembo skottle grill.

My girl on egg duty.

Our view from camp.

Last edited:

Seattle206

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Seattle, WA
First Name
robert
Last Name
eng
Member #

First washout on Liverty Beehive Rd/NF-9712 in section 3. There was another down the road which was easy to get through as well.

Buddy in his Taco going over that first washout.

Made it up to a peak for a break.

Finished section 3 and into town for a refuel and coffee break.

Stopped by the 911Memorial as we were in town.

Last edited:

Seattle206

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Seattle, WA
First Name
robert
Last Name
eng
Member #

I found section 4 to be a bit on the unenthusiastic in regards to the drive. Majority of the roads were cliff side gravel roads and took a while before we found a suitable place to set up camp.

Had to break out the blue label after driving for 7 hours. Kilt it.

Kabobs and longanisa on the gas grill.

Kevin cooking up some asparagus on the skottle.

Sun sets as we prepare dinner.

Called it a night around the "campfire". (Portable propane campfire due to burn ban)

Used whatever extra fuel I carried before we headed out.

My tracks when I stopped recording as we got back on pavement in section 4.

Last edited: