Volvo XC70 2011 overland build

• HTML tutorial

SGForry

Rank 0

Traveler I

Europe
Love to see an XC70 out here!
Nice build!
Before buying the Forester is also considered the XC70 to be the next car.
Sorry can´t help you with the recovery point issue.
Could you tell me where you got the TOLA rack?

Snow!! Did not see much of it this year....:angry:

Last edited:
Reactions: Äventyrsfarsan
Love to see an XC70 out here!
Nice build!
Before buying the Forester is also considered the XC70 to be the next car.
Sorry can´t help you with the recovery point issue.
Could you tell me where you got the TOLA rack?

Snow!! Did not see much of it this year....:angry:
Thanks!

I got the rack from here, the only shop in Europe where I could find it: http://www.ironman4x4.ro/category.php?id_category=919

I like that it’s not as wide as the Pioneer Platform. For a wagon like the XC70 this rack fits really well.

SGForry

Rank 0

Traveler I

Europe
Thank you.
Had a look at the Homepage....
Which size is your TOLA? 160x107cm?
I expected a cheaper price for the chinese stuff...:coldsweat:
Are you satisfied with the quality?

Thank you.
Had a look at the Homepage....
Which size is your TOLA? 160x107cm?
I expected a cheaper price for the chinese stuff...:coldsweat:
Are you satisfied with the quality?
I have the 160x107 version. So far I’m satisfied with the quality. All aluminium with a powder coated finish. I mounted it on the original cross bars which works well but I changed some of the mounting hardware to look a bit better. Original was large plastic nuts but I changed it for stainless nyloc nuts to be a bit more secure.

mcnabb4mvp05

Rank 0

Traveler I

Nice build and beautiful shots. I'm doing a similar build on my 2008 3.2L. Just got Falken Wildpeaks in 245/65/R17 so the wheels are stuffed too. I think I need to do the Tema4x4 lift to prevent rubbing while off road and for a little more clearance.

Was the 30mm lift kit fairly easy to install? No issues?

Reactions: Äventyrsfarsan
Nice build and beautiful shots. I'm doing a similar build on my 2008 3.2L. Just got Falken Wildpeaks in 245/65/R17 so the wheels are stuffed too. I think I need to do the Tema4x4 lift to prevent rubbing while off road and for a little more clearance.

Was the 30mm lift kit fairly easy to install? No issues?
Nice to see another Volvo build here! What model Wildpeaks did you go with?

The lift was a super easy install. Just undo the old bolts, slip the spacers in and fasten with longer bolts. The included screws were not the best quality but other than that no issues. You may need adjustable camber arms in the rear. Front on mine were still fine after the lift. Remember to retighten to correct torque after a couple of weeks when the rubber spacers have set.

I went with the Wildpeak AT3W, 245/65/R17. I'm amazed you were able to stuff even bigger tires in there!
They look really good! My tires are a bit wider but yours are taller, 255/60 vs 245/65 R17.

I find this tool useful for comparing tire sizes:

mcnabb4mvp05

Rank 0

Traveler I

Decided to throw out the emergency spare wheel and added a small compressor. Full size spare planned for the future, just not sure where to place it at the moment.

View attachment 84885
Could you elaborate on your compressor system? I'm very interested. I was planning on putting a battery/jumpstarter/compressor all-in-one unit into the same spare tire space on mine but this is intriguing

Could you elaborate on your compressor system? I'm very interested. I was planning on putting a battery/jumpstarter/compressor all-in-one unit into the same spare tire space on mine but this is intriguing
Sure. I salvaged a couple of scrap pressure tanks from work and added a cheap 12V compressor unit and pressure switch from a local low cost auto parts store. There’s a fuse panel on the left side that I connected the compressor to. Works perfectly but a larger tank capacity would be nice.