Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

That thing looks promising. I know quite a few people with the "campfire in a can" product and they love them. The Volcano Grill looks a little smaller, which appeals to me.

Lipek

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

That's fancy... and a lot smaller than my Coleman "Portable" Grill.
That's what I was thinking, I have variety of gas Coleman grills/stoves (not optimal set up but it works) I use those for cooking. Then I have Webber smokey Joe that I use for grilling ( I hate propane for grilling but recognize its role for cooking)
This device does it all and then some and it comes in a small package. I'm pretty much sold on it just wanted to see if anyone else use it here.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I've heard good things about them, but have not personally used one. I've got a Weber Q that I use, while not small, it's awesome.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Reactions: montyPR

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Thanks Steve the V3 has all the bells and whistles lol. Best price for it is at wallyworld at $110 with free shipping
http://www.walmart.com/ip/37185455?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228026479806&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=42970802432&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=81462591512&veh=sem
Are you sure? It doesn't actually say it is the Volcano 3 anywhere, and uses the same photo that all the $109.99 20-200 ads use. Just make sure first! And is that from Wal`Mart, or from their Marketplace, which can be any Joe anywhere in the world. And now it is suddenly $122!

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

It was me. I watched the video..my bad!

Surprised no one here has one. Looks great to me.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I'm planning to pick one up in the near future. I need something that will run on Propane when needed as I'm often in places that don't allow fires.

MizMoosie

Rank III

Advocate II

First post!

I love my Volcano grill. I use it for my dutch oven, charcoal grilling and as a portable campfire. On cool rainy days sitting under the tarp, a little fire does wonders for the soul...!

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
I used my buddies to cook all weekend a month back. Was awesome and worked really well. For those of us with no campfires allowed in the summer, this is a nice alternative. I haven't used it as a propane campfire but I have a dedicated propane campfire and it's nice. I think you would need something to diffuse the flames for a better look to the fire like ceramic logs. I have lava rocks and they are ok but a pain to pack up everyday.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We bought our Volcano grill about a year ago.. #1, it packs in nice and small. All the other charcoal grills we have tried over the years were very tough to pack and took up a lot of space. #2, this thing is well built for decades of service, ( be sure to cure it), #3, we've used it for all types of cooking, grilling, baking, slow cooked stews and soups with just charcoal so far and it does great. #4, The Lodge dutch oven fits perfectly . I wish we had bought it years ago..

Matt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Gatos
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Meadors
Member #

Have one and love it. Very compact and fits in a Pelican or what-have-you, also rugged enough to live on the rack and go... Propane ring and diffuse works very well, warmer in enter but you can move food around the grill like home bbq. Charcoal works great too but I tend to stick with Propane. Can also pull out the burner and add wood (or leave burner and call it "gas-assist". Cleans up very well and is super easy to have on the trail. I found it worth the money.

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I got one last month and used it on my most recent trip. Only grilled one night. For me the verdict is still out. I had a hard time getting it hot enough to sear my Ahi Tuna Steak.

I had a number of factors working against me. Strong wind, 9600' elevation, and I choose a boutique "charcoal" that was made of compressed hardwood. I'll buy Kingsford next time. Without the cover thing I lost most of my heat to the wind. Made a makeshift cover out of aluminum foil that helped. I'll try it again next time out.

My only real complaint at this point is packing it. The storage bag is pretty low quality. And it's round. I hate packing round stuff. I don't feel comfortable standing on end. So I'm yet to find a place in my storage system that works well with it.