Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
It was a nice little talk yesterday. Beside other topics we had an interesting chat about the pros and cons of different concepts for navigation and talked about why some people still love papermaps while others hate them...

Thanks for everyone who dialed in!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Again 2weeks have passed and so tonight our virtual campfire starts again! For once I will not be there today, because I am still heavily involved in the vaccination campaign and will probably not be back home until around midnight. Robert will be there though!
So, please join the virtual OB Europe campfire tonight (8PM CET as usual) and tell some nice stories! Have fun and see you next time again!
Björn

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
In some regions in Europe, there have been improvements in the situation and in restrictions, while in other regions of Europe the situation is getting worse again and restrictions have been tightened or stricter rules are under discussion. Travel and meeting remains still limited for us...

... but one thing is for sure: we can meet virtually! So, tomorrow is the time again:

I hope to see many of you again and have great conversations tomorrow evening around the virtual OB Europe campfire.

Talk to you soon!

Björn

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Another great virtual campfire. We had some good talks about overlanding trips in the past and plans for the future, daily life and current news. It was especially nice to chat about experiences we have all had regarding tremendous hospitality while traveling.

Was really nice talking to you guys!

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Time flies. It´s friday again. See you at 8PM CET tonight! @Get Out GO Christoff, will you join us from South Africa again (8PM CET is also 8PM in Jo´burg, correct?)? Would be great!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Tonight we will light our virtual OB Europe campfire again. Let´s join and have some good talks. Starts at 8PM CET as always. See you tonight!

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Time flies. Just live campfire at @Robert OB 33/48 and already again 14 days are over. So, guys, tomorrow is again virtual OB Europe campfire! Look forward to numerous attendance and good conversations! Check out the details in the Rally Point and join! As always at 8 pm CET via Skype.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
It was a nice round again yesterday! Even if only a few members dial in at a time, it's fun to chat with each other and share interesting stories, ideas and plans. Yesterday it was especially interesting to hear from Christoff´s great experiences from his recent trip to Botsuana. Thanks Christoff @Get Out GO , for sharing these interesting insights!

Reactions: Get Out GO

Sven

Mid Europe Local Expert
Launch Member

Explorer I

Schenefeld, Germany
First Name
Sven
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

Hi Björn, any chance we can swap from Skype by MS-Teams or Zoom? Skype is outdated and will no longer be supported by Microsoft. Cheers and Thanks, Sven

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Björn, any chance we can swap from Skype by MS-Teams or Zoom? Skype is outdated and will no longer be supported by Microsoft. Cheers and Thanks, Sven
Hi Sven,

Of course we can always use something else. When will skype support be discontinued? I am asking because I just got an update to the latest version this morning (Skype-Version 8.73.0.92 )?! I have not heard of any plans to discontinue the standard Skype version . As far as I know this was related to Skype Business and Skype Business was replaced by MS Teams.

So far, skype has always worked great with the virtual fire. But as said, we can use something else if you like. As far as I know for zoom you have to have an account, so that you can make meetings longer than - I mean it's 40min -, after that it becomes chargeable. Right? Do you have a zoom account and could then please take over the administration?

Cheers, Björn

Last edited:
Reactions: Sven

Sven

Mid Europe Local Expert
Launch Member

Explorer I

Schenefeld, Germany
First Name
Sven
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

Hi Sven,

Of course we can always use something else. When will skype support be discontinued? I am asking because I just got an update to the latest version this morning (Skype-Version 8.73.0.92 )?! I have not heard of any plans to discontinue the standard Skype version . As far as I know this was related to Skype Business and Skype Business was replaced by MS Teams.

So far, skype has always worked great with the virtual fire. But as said, we can use something else if you like. As far as I know for zoom you have to have an account, so that you can make meetings longer than - I mean it's 40min -, after that it becomes chargeable. Right? Do you have a zoom account and could then please take over the administration?

Cheers, Björn
Hi Björn,
you are right. Just Skype for Business will be discontinued. I just figgered this out because just the Business version was running on all my devices.
Based on the current COVID-19 situation I hope we all can meet in real life soon, so less virtual meetings are necessary. So, I will give Skye Standard a chance before we 'change a running system'.

Thanks, Sven

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Great. Then we'll leave it as it is and soon we'll be able to meet again in person anyway. There have already been a few smaller meetings in real life this year, which is great!

Reactions: Sven

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
As some have already suggested, we will skip the call on December 24 for obvious reasons and then resume on January 7 on a regular basis. Looking forward to it. Oh and don't forget, New Year's Meetup on 2nd of January 2022 at the River Rhine:

Cheers, Björn

XC70_OVERLANDER

Local Expert Northern Germany

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
What a great chat. We talked about wading capabilities, the pros and cons of winches, the job as a road maintenance manager, aka overlander, and business ideas.

Thanks for the excellent chat, @Wranglervirus