Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Some Good Traction here, @Virginia Overlander. Thanks for getting this thread out.

There were three meetups started in Virginia a while back. 2 seemed to do pretty well for a while but the burden of planning a new thing every month got to be too much. That's why I say for monthly meets, have a designated location and time that it occurs every month. Something close to folks. This way someone isn't trying to plan a monthly event. It gets tough, especially when we get busy. But having a spot for folks to meet, where there is no question where it will be or when, will help create some regularity with members. And you will see some of those friendships form so that you don't have the "driving 2 hours to meet a bunch of strangers" feel someone mentioned. Use the meetups to plan trail rides, do training/educational talks (I can help you with that), plan weekend trips, grab a bite to eat....

It would be great to have a few monthly meetups going in VA again. With a shorter drive, more people will have access to them and attendance will be better as a whole. Get all the groups together for a big VA meet once a year or something. I'm just spit balling here.

We have documentation on how to succeed with starting/planning a meetup. If you want to get something going, and want to see that doc, let me know. Beyond the doc, as your Ambassador, I'm here to help. So let me know if there is anything you need to succeed!

Thanks @Virginia Overlander for starting this convo. Thanks @TerryD for your help with the previous meetups. And thanks everyone for chiming in and giving some great ideas.

Virginia Overlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Charles City, VA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRCJ633
Over the next month or so i will be scouting possible locations near Richmond for this event on my weekends when time permits. Going to start with but not limited to parks. I do favor the park idea because they are family oriented. They my not be the "adventure of a lifetime" but there is something for everyone in the family. Thank you @Chris Jones for your input and encouragement. As well as everyone that that has chimed in. On December 15th a group im involved with is doing a "Toys for Tots" run. By December next year lets put Overland Bound in that local community status.

JRElaxED

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, Va
Member #

Went out to Mason Neck yesterday with @sabjku and tried out some new gear. One of the ideas we had was just pick a weekend and stick with it. So everyone knows 3rd weekend is for overlanding. Getting everyone onboard with different schedules is a lot of work. Sometimes you can make it, sometimes you can’t.

State Parks,big fields, anything we can all get together and have a good time together. Love to get something going starting in January, Richmond is a good central location, Or something close. We have a good group of 7-10 up here in NoVa. The first step is the hardest. Anyone outta Richmond recommend any spots? @Zombie ??

JRElaxED

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, Va
Member #

Here is the link for some help with starting or keeping a meet-up going.
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/want-to-start-a-new-meet-up.20781/
Kent, you’re the man, this is awesome. This will definitely be a big help getting started.

A few of us have done James River at the RTT, it was awesome. Be really cool to get that field.

After our meet up in NoVa in August, we’ve had some really good trips to the BROG events. Can’t wait to see where this goes.

Virginia Overlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Charles City, VA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRCJ633

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
@JRElaxED @Virginia Overlander
Most of the successful reoccurring meet-ups have at least two lead people that way if one cant make a meeting the other can.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Virginiawilderness

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vienna, Virginia
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Great initiative! It’s a hike down to Richmond from Vienna, but Rachel and I would probably make it occasionally if meetups were on a weekend. Traffic probably would preclude us from attending during the week.

Reactions: JRElaxED

JRElaxED

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, Va
Member #

Great initiative! It’s a hike down to Richmond from Vienna, but Rachel and I would probably make it occasionally if meetups were on a weekend. Traffic probably would preclude us from attending during the week.
@Virginiawilderness we are having a meet up in the Northern Virginia thread next weekend. Check out the rally point on the map, it’s in Lorton/Springfield area. Would be great to meet you.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova