Vinyl Wrap/PlastiKote On Hood

• HTML tutorial

twiget

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

On the Road
Member #

The hood on my rig is getting pretty banged up and I'm considering options to cover the damage that's already there and to protect the paint from further damage. I could install a bug deflector I suppose, but I've never liked the looks of them.

Has anyone ever done a vinyl wrap or put PlastiKote on their rigs? How did it hold up to the rigors of off roading?

Reactions: Laughing Otter

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I know the Overland Bound rig has their hood painted to reduce glare. A lot of people with overhead lights tend to paint matte colors on the hood for this reason, however it can increase heat depending on the color. Plastidip is pretty durable but can have issues with a painting large surface areas and making it look decent. Other people have done bedlining because it is tougher and has a better overall finish. Wrapping can peel if it is caught just right, so heads up! It does have its advantage because it is light weight and you can get it to match the color of your vehicle easily and the quality looks great if done correctly.

readyme

Rank 0

Traveler I

PNW
I like the idea of flat black, but hadn't considered the "heat sink" idea...but I doubt it would have much of an impact on just the hood.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I just cleaned off Plasti-Dip off my hood after about a year of it being baked on there. It took over an hour and a half to get it off with the high pressure washer. My problem was that I didn't put it on thick enough, combined with the heat, I think it just baked itself in there.

If you do a temporary coating, when you go to remove it, and you will want to remove it, make sure it goes on thick enough to make it easier to remove.

I actually had to sand my hood a bit to get the remnants off, so I put on some low-gloss vinyl on in it's place. It hasn't been on there long enough to judge it's durability, jury is still out but it looks pretty good.

Here's the before, just after I finished it, still a little wet in fact.

Plastidip_Before1.jpg

And here's after (cutest grandson on the planet on the hood, by the way!)
Vinyl_After1.jpg

Seems like it's going to be pretty durable, but we'll see. Hopefully it's easier to remove than the plasti-dip.

Dan.

twiget

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

On the Road
Member #

I know the Overland Bound rig has their hood painted to reduce glare. A lot of people with overhead lights tend to paint matte colors on the hood for this reason, however it can increase heat depending on the color. Plastidip is pretty durable but can have issues with a painting large surface areas and making it look decent. Other people have done bedlining because it is tougher and has a better overall finish. Wrapping can peel if it is caught just right, so heads up! It does have its advantage because it is light weight and you can get it to match the color of your vehicle easily and the quality looks great if done correctly.
I had considered bed liner, but it's heavy. I suppose I could do a hybrid type of thing. Do the leading edge of the hood in bed liner and the rest in vinyl or PlastiKote. It will take some thinking about.
I just cleaned off Plasti-Dip off my hood after about a year of it being baked on there. It took over an hour and a half to get it off with the high pressure washer. My problem was that I didn't put it on thick enough, combined with the heat, I think it just baked itself in there.

If you do a temporary coating, when you go to remove it, and you will want to remove it, make sure it goes on thick enough to make it easier to remove.

I actually had to sand my hood a bit to get the remnants off, so I put on some low-gloss vinyl on in it's place. It hasn't been on there long enough to judge it's durability, jury is still out but it looks pretty good.

View attachment 31246

View attachment 31247

Seems like it's going to be pretty durable, but we'll see. Hopefully it's easier to remove than the plasti-dip.

Dan.
Looking good! I like the vinyl covering the whole hood. Your grandson looks like he approves too. Did you apply it yourself?

It's going to be awhile before I can do anything with my hood, I may hit you up to see how your vinyl is holding up.

Reactions: VCeXpedition

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

The hood on my rig is getting pretty banged up and I'm considering options to cover the damage that's already there and to protect the paint from further damage. I could install a bug deflector I suppose, but I've never liked the looks of them.

Has anyone ever done a vinyl wrap or put PlastiKote on their rigs? How did it hold up to the rigors of off roading?
I did this on my Rover and added "eyes" because I sometimes throw recovery ropes/straps/cables on the hood as well as other gear occasionally. Over the past year it has held up to every thing I've thrown at it, although the edges are starting to curl and peel. I used the Performix brand Plastidip. I applied 4 coats. Considering, maybe, truck bed liner....

IMG_20170603_064247 (1).jpg

Reactions: crit_pw

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

I did the vinyl wrap down the center of my hood almost 2 years ago and it has held up really well to temperature extremes from Desert summer to Montana Winter and many trails scuffs and rocks/bugs. The install was pretty easy (a second person makes all the difference on a big panel!) If you go vinyl make sure its quality and a thicker sheet. I personally only use Vivid or 3M brands for my vinyl wrap. My hood with the additional striping was around $50 total and about 1.5 hours of my time.20170604_175354.jpg 20160821_173021.jpg

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

View attachment 31246

View attachment 31247

Dan.
I am not much for the carbon fiber look but yours came out really nice and looks great!

northernXoverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Michigan
Member #

If you don't hate plasti dip you could use plasti dip clear. It leaves a matte finish but is transparent so your factory paint color shows through.