Tulare, California, United States
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Army
I just received my VIAIR 480c with 2 & 1/2 gallon air tank. So far I'm impressed with the look and quality of it. I have not installed it yet cause I was still contemplating on getting the ARB dual air compressor instead, so I can mount that under the hood. But being that I like this one, I think I'll just keep it and mount it in the back of the Jeep in the cargo area, even though that's exactly what I was trying to avoid- losing space. But I believe that the little bit of space I will be losing, will be worth it with the 2 & 1/2 gallon air tank that I'll have on reserve. Has anyone else contemplated over the two air compressors? And if so, what did you end up with and are you happy with your decision?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Levidale

The Nothing

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

pdx, or
First Name
Isaac
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BSB
There was another discussion about Viair this week. Most of us are quite happy with them. I'm not sure about your exact setup other than what I've seen online.
I'd say go with the Viair system, since you have it, and if it shows to be a hassle, you can always go with the ARB under the hood later.

PS: my wife's family is in Tulare/Visalia...

flex

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Alex
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Army
Thanks for the feed back. I was actually thinking the same. I have it, might as well use it. And If it I don't like it, later on I can change them out. But I honestly don't think I'll be disappointed.

That's cool. I'm originally from Bakersfied. I moved out here about six years ago. I really like it out here and the less amount of traffic compared to Bakersfield. I'm planning on retiring to the Central Coast around the Templeton area in about 5 years. That area of California is beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

I run a Viair 450C (150psi/100% duty cycle) with dual 2.5 gallon tanks. I love my system and surprisingly it takes up less room than I expected overall (mine is mounted in the bed of my truck against the front of the bed). I plan to add a second compressor and 2 more tanks for a total air storage of 10 gallons to run air tools more efficiently on the trail.

Last edited:
Reactions: flex

waexplorer

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I also bought a viair compressor and haven't installed yet. Waiting to desmog my Cruiser so I have room under the hood. I have an air tank already but it's long and I'm having trouble finding a place for it...

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I have been contemplating the same two choices. I have used viair and they make a quality product, but I don't need the extra volume of a tank so I'm leaning towards the arb twin which also seems to get good reviews to save space. I have a Milwaukee cordless impact which is the only thing I would otherwise use air for, so it would only be for occasionally airing up tires.

APtrail2005

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Kalispell Montana
Member #

I'm researching compressors for my rig, ARB has been the most popular I've seen. I'm hoping more members respond to this post so I can make a good decision. Let me know how you like your VIAIR ....

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I have the 450p and I like it. Airs up my ~32" tires pretty quick and is 100% duty. But it isn't as fast as an ARB. I think its smaller though. It just has the little tiny tank on it.

flex

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Alex
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Army
I run a Viair 380C (150psi/100% duty cycle) with dual 2.5 gallon tanks. I love my system and surprisingly it takes up less room than I expected overall (mine is mounted in the bed of my truck against the front of the bed). I plan to add a second compressor and 2 more tanks for a total air storage of 10 gallons to run air tools more efficiently on the trail.
Since the original post, I've sent my model #20008 back, that's the single 480c air compressor bolted on a 2 1/2 gallon tank, and bought a model #30018, it's a dual 380c air compressor bolted on a 2 1/2 gallon tank. I figure I'd get the best one I can that will do more than I need it to and use the same amount of space. I have not installed it yet, but as soon as I do, I'll post pic's of it.

Reactions: crit_pw

flex

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Alex
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Army
I'm researching compressors for my rig, ARB has been the most popular I've seen. I'm hoping more members respond to this post so I can make a good decision. Let me know how you like your VIAIR ....

As soon as I set it up and use it a few times, I'll keep everyone posted. So far I'm happy with my decision and will be keeping it.

Reactions: APtrail2005