• HTML tutorial

Jason Baker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln Park, Michigan
Member #

HI everyone!

So last summer I went on a trip up North to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. On the third day I got a call from my neighbor that my garage got broken into. I had a really nice Yamaha YZ450F I had just rebuilt. I literally had taken one single ride on it before it got stolen. Anyways, I don’t live in the greatest of areas. It’s a suburb of Detroit and 20 years ago it was nice, now it seems like there is a break in, or a drug raid every other week. Needless to say, as soon as I am done with my doctorate (2 more years) I am gone! This is the second break-in that I have had in 2 years. The first being a stolen gun, and also trying to steal my MAXX tracks, now this. The kicker is I had my best friend’s car blocking the door. So the thieves broke out his window, popped his hood, popped off the linkage to his transmission, put it into neutral, pushed it back, broke off the garage lock, and then finally stole the bike. Since then I have been going a bit over the top with security. My biggest concern is my rig because how could that be insured for what I have in it, but also, I just don’t wanna lose it period.

So the first thing I did was a boot. My rig isn’t my daily driver so this was kinda a good idea because I slapped it on the rear and now they cannot get into my garage either. I was floored to find out they were only $45 bucks! The one I got was pretty heavy duty. While I was going to do a kill switch (which I may have, noneyabusiness) I was worried about thieves who tow vehicles which is very common here.

Mophorn 2pcs Wheel Lock Clamp Boot Tire Claw Heavy-duty Anti Theft Parking Boot Car Tire Claw Parking Boot Lock (2 pc)

https://amzn.to/2Jva7sW

upload_2018-11-1_18-33-44.png

Additionally too, I REALLY wanted a GPS tracker. I did some research and went with Linxup. So this tracker is wired and you can do it a couple ways. The first is just a simple hot and ground. That will monitor your vehicle at all times. But also give you voltage. It comes with plenty of other connections to monitor stuff like fuel, engine codes, etc. But it does do analysis of driving and does save routes, shows how hard you brake, etc. Plus, it actually shows you a where you are while driving! Another thing I dig is that you can monitor in real time on a desktop. So, if you haven't seen something like it, it is pretty cool. Plus it gives you piece of mind. I think it is like $20 a month. Worth it in my opinion. Check out some of the features on the app!

upload_2018-11-1_18-33-54.pngupload_2018-11-1_18-31-53.png upload_2018-11-1_18-32-44.png upload_2018-11-1_18-32-57.png upload_2018-11-1_18-33-44.png upload_2018-11-1_18-33-54.png

Linxup OBD GPS Tracker with Real Time 3G GPS Tracking, Car Tracking Device and Car Locator, Car GPS LPVAS1 - No Contracts

https://amzn.to/2RrOz3e

Linxup LTAS1 Mini Portable Real Time 4G Personal Tracking GPS Tracker

https://amzn.to/2JwAH58

Linxup LWAAS1P1 Linxup GPS Trackers & System Wired, Vehicle Tracking Device

https://amzn.to/2DfQIMz

upload_2018-11-1_18-31-53.png
upload_2018-11-1_18-32-44.png
upload_2018-11-1_18-32-57.png

I was wondering what everyone else does for security? Any good ideas out there? I may make a second video if I hear some an throw them on my rig!

Checkout our Facebook group page!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/442247439541802/

Support us on Patreon!

https://www.patreon.com/Team125Overland

Follow us on Instagram!

https://www.instagram.com/ellevehc86/?hl=en

Follow us on Twitter!

https://twitter.com/Ellevehc86

Reactions: Lindenwood

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

Thieves knew what was in your garage and targeted you. That sucks mate.

However thanks for sharing security thoughts. That GPS tracker might be worth the extra peace of mind.

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Trucks outfitted with APRS in a pelican case so that it can be tracked. Relatively inexpensive. All the shiny bits (Ham radio) gps, dashcam are all quickly removable. Tonneau cover in the back.

The area I live in has a problem with random theft of car contents. Basically the suspects will enter a neighbourhood late at night and pull on door handles until something opens up for them, rifle through the vehicle and swipe anything thats loose. So keeping things out of sight and locked up seems to work pretty well. So far. In my area.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Good insurance. Factory alarm and immobilizer. Factory dual locking mechanism that prevents doors being opened from inside after window smash. Security film to make window smash tough. Bear-Lock. Steering wheel lock. Not interested in GPS trackers because only professionals will get through the above and what is not mentioned. The professionals will have a jammer.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I agree with some of the suggestions. Here is my take.

Good insurance-check
Factory alarm-check
Immobilizer- NO, as it can strand you in the back country.....will elaborate below
Security film-NO, as there might be a time you need to be extracted from vehicle by rescue personal
Steering wheel lock-check
Lo-Jac or a GM On Star system with subscription, =good-personal opinion for theft tracking.

**Although not mentioned......Trailer's..... ball locks,hitch pin lock, 20foot cable thru wheel slots w/quality lock. ETC.

STORY-TIME:...Some of you will recognize that title

In 1999, i bought a brand new Silverado 1500, and went into the back country of Southern UT. This was 20 miles back in, on a unimproved fire rd. When we got to the cabin, we unloaded the truck and then went to move it.....nothing...no click..click...nada. Checked everything, fuses,starter, just no juice to the starter. The next morning (SAT)I tried again and Voila, it started right up...mmm....I Had On-Star, and was able to connect. Told them what was going on. They set up a tech from Ceder City UT to come up the mountain (Hwy 14) to the dirt road. I was to drive out..22miles...and meet him. I did, and waited 4+ hours. They never showed, seems being the weekend, they just never bothered (too far away). Needless to say, ON-Star was not happy. Basically, they blew off their contract to GM. I found out later that company lost that sweet deal as GM cancelled it. Went back in to the cabin and hoped it would start on Sunday. Big finger X when it did. The follow-up when i got back to Las Vegas, and went to the dealer was some kind of software issue in the radios 'THEFT LOC' system that immobilized the truck, and preventing it from being able to start. Luckily it reset itself, as no tow truck wanted to go back in that far off the paved road. 4x Overland (Andre St. Pierre) touched on this very problem, as it is a system that is purposely disconnected due to the African bush, not having a mechanic just down the road, let-alone a tow truck.

Conclusion: So you have to think what systems or equipment will not have a unintended consequence on your security protocols.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gryf

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

My take,
Security camera covering all angles of the rig.
Security lights on motion sesors covering rig and front of home.
Insurance upgrades for specialty itemsIMG_1059.JPG
Caution K9 stickers on both rear side windows.
90 pound German Shepherd Dog

Reactions: NotGumby

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
My take,
Security camera covering all angles of the rig.
Security lights on motion sesors covering rig and front of home.
Insurance upgrades for specialty itemsView attachment 75167
Caution K9 stickers on both rear side windows.
90 pound German Shepherd Dog
Insurance upgrades is a excellent point. I was remiss for many years getting quotes. My insurance company will cover ARB drawers, upgraded bash plates, upgraded rock rails, and snorkel at no extra cost. RTT and awning at increased cost.

Jason Baker

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lincoln Park, Michigan
Member #

I agree with some of the suggestions. Here is my take.

Good insurance-check
Factory alarm-check
Immobilizer- NO, as it can strand you in the back country.....will elaborate below
Security film-NO, as there might be a time you need to be extracted from vehicle by rescue personal
Steering wheel lock-check
Lo-Jac or a GM On Star system with subscription, =good-personal opinion for theft tracking.

**Although not mentioned......Trailer's..... ball locks,hitch pin lock, 20foot cable thru wheel slots w/quality lock. ETC.

STORY-TIME:...Some of you will recognize that title

In 1999, i bought a brand new Silverado 1500, and went into the back country of Southern UT. This was 20 miles back in, on a unimproved fire rd. When we got to the cabin, we unloaded the truck and then went to move it.....nothing...no click..click...nada. Checked everything, fuses,starter, just no juice to the starter. The next morning (SAT)I tried again and Voila, it started right up...mmm....I Had On-Star, and was able to connect. Told them what was going on. They set up a tech from Ceder City UT to come up the mountain (Hwy 14) to the dirt road. I was to drive out..22miles...and meet him. I did, and waited 4+ hours. They never showed, seems being the weekend, they just never bothered (too far away). Needless to say, ON-Star was not happy. Basically, they blew off their contract to GM. I found out later that company lost that sweet deal as GM cancelled it. Went back in to the cabin and hoped it would start on Sunday. Big finger X when it did. The follow-up when i got back to Las Vegas, and went to the dealer was some kind of software issue in the radios 'THEFT LOC' system that immobilized the truck, and preventing it from being able to start. Luckily it reset itself, as no tow truck wanted to go back in that far off the paved road. 4x Overland (Andre St. Pierre) touched on this very problem, as it is a system that is purposely disconnected due to the African bush, not having a mechanic just down the road, let-alone a tow truck.

Conclusion: So you have to think what systems or equipment will not have a unintended consequence on your security protocols.
Oh man, those are some good tips too! that sounds like it was a nightmare! Dear god!

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Great suggestions everyone! They also make a 360 degree sensor that puts out a force field around your vehicle and you can program it to do things like sound your horn, turn on lights, run it through your SPOD and turn on the strobes. I do like the idea of wiring a GPS locator wired up somewhere secret in your rig.

Gryf

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vallejo, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Weber
Member #

Great story and good lesson. Gonna have to keep that in my back pocket.

Also brings up something about security systems; they drain juice, especially satellite connected ones. The wife's motorcycle with Lo-Jack on it can only sit for 6 or 7 days before the system drains that battery to the point where it may not start. It's a small battery so it's understandable.

However a lot of our rigs have parasitic draw when it's turned off. Alarms, improperly wired electronics & warning lights. Check and make sure adding another item isn't going to kill you off if you run into the wilderness and sit camping for a week.

Reactions: Gary Stevens

69machguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
Having recently had my truck stolen on a cross country road trip I know how important this thread is. When the dust finally settled from my insurance claim, I was out more than $50K to get into a new replacement vehicle. I’d suggest you look at a company called Ravelco, a simple, proven product. For those of you about to post how convenient your Glock is inside the cab, save it. The more you publish online the more ammunition you give the attorneys, enough said.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Thieves knew what was in your garage and targeted you. That sucks mate.

However thanks for sharing security thoughts. That GPS tracker might be worth the extra peace of mind.
This. I purposely keep my garage doors closed when I am working on stuff when possible and I also have kept the inside looking rather run down so, passing by it looks like a shat hole inside.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Another thing, those if us with a ham license, DON'T put your call sign on any signature on forums. A quick Google search gives anyone in the world your address.