• HTML tutorial

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@m_lars No offense taken. I didn't mean to come off as angry over it.

Ultimate case is, if you can source parts for a price you can afford, rock on! As I said, don't let anybody change your mind. The ultimate goal here is to find a vehicle you like, and keep her on the roads and trails. If the LR fits your needs, good on ya!

Not sure of @Dysan 's location, but if parts are affordable there, perhaps a Land Rover would be a reasonable option. If not, there's always a 350 crate waiting to be dropped in...

No matter how cheap you can get the parts, I'll still never be able to afford a Land Rover, here, though.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
If I was driving a Land Rover, I'd convince myself it was cheap to repair too :tonguewink:
Sorry to disappoint you with facts…. And that’s not what I said. I said that parts are all in the same ballpark. If I paid someone to work on any of my vehicles maybe I’d sing a different tune. But I do all my own work and source my own parts on pretty much any manufacturer you can name. So go ahead and make your condescending jabs, I know what’s up.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Sorry to disappoint you with facts…. And that’s not what I said. I said that parts are all in the same ballpark. If I paid someone to work on any of my vehicles maybe I’d sing a different tune. But I do all my own work and source my own parts on pretty much any manufacturer you can name. So go ahead and make your condescending jabs, I know what’s up.
Haha fair enough. I'm just giving you a hard time. I've known enough folks who owned LRs in the 25 years I've been wheeling to know they are a labor of love. I'd love a Disco II myself. I just don't have the time to wrench on it or the funds to have someone else do it. It's not the off the shelf replacement parts that'll get you. It's the motors, transmissions, and electrical systems. Beautiful vehicles when they work.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Depends on the Land Rover. I’ve got just about 275k on my ‘06 LR3 and it shows no signs of stopping. It could use new air struts at this point, but they are still the originals!
During the 2000’s when your Land Rover was made the company was actually owned by Ford Motor Company and many of the Land Rover parts had an identical Ford part and you can often purchase a Ford part in-lieu of the Land Rover one. Jaguars and Aston Martins of this era had this same scenario. The seat motors in an Aston Martin were identical to the F150 at the time, etc.

Reactions: Arailt

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Depends on the Land Rover. I’ve got just about 275k on my ‘06 LR3 and it shows no signs of stopping. It could use new air struts at this point, but they are still the originals!
During the 2000’s when your Land Rover was made the company was actually owned by Ford Motor Company and many of the Land Rover parts had an identical Ford part and you can often purchase a Ford part in-lieu of the Land Rover one. Jaguars and Aston Martins of this era had this same scenario. The seat motors in an Aston Martin were identical to the F150 at the time, etc.
Yep, I’m aware. The 6 speed ZF transmissions were used in the F-150 as well. The steel pan and filter are a popular upgrade so you don’t have to remove motor mounts and Jack up the engine to replace the filter. But pretty much everyone uses ZF now…

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

pretty much everyone uses ZF now…
Yup, the ZF8 speed has to be the most prolific auto currently around. Everything from all of the front-rear engine Jeep offerings, most BMWs, Bentley, most LR products, even the Lambo Urus use it...

-TJ

Dysan

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cope
Thanks for all the replies and advise. I ended up finding a 2013 Chevrolet Z71 Tahoe with the upgraded cooling package(increased towing) and limited slip rear. For me it has just the right amount of bells and whistles like power heated front seats with heated middle captains seats, memory seats, power lift gate, and rear seat entertainment system(daughter likes that along with the rear radio controls).

Since my wife works in the rental car industry and gets to bring all the new stuff home, I hate some of the new features/ gadgets on the new vehicles. For example every new vehicle with the power lift gate, if it is turned off, when you manually open or close the lift gate, it feels like you are going to break something. There are more but I won’t get into the details.

Still have the temp plates but have already acquired some of the same stickers I had on my truck with more space to put them(rear window and rear quarter glass). Not sure what my first mod will be if any since I am still getting used to the vehicle but looking forward to getting out there.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Dysan Kudos! Nice find. That's too much tech for me, but everybody has the perfect amount for them. Hope you enjoy it, use it well, and use it often!