Contributor III

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Tye
Last Name
Beas
Service Branch
ARMY
Okay, after looking around on here a lot I've found myself at a cross roads on the direction to take my setup. Here's what I'm working with currently:

I have an ICECO VL60 Pro S that I run in the rear driver side seat of my tacoma that I plug into my DC outlet while driving and then into my Goal Zero Yeti 500x while at camp.

For a couple days worth of camping this has worked fine but as I extend our trips, I find that I am pushing the limits of my powerbank. To correct this I've decided to add a solar panel to help recharge the yeti in between driving times when it is normally recharged by the truck.

Option one:

A goal zero Boulder 100 solar panel mounted on my roof rack. This looks like a rock solid panel that will provide adequate charging through out the day. The down side is the loss of storage space on my roof rack and the possibility of damaging it from low hanging branches and weather while on the trail.

Option two:

A Lensun 90 watt hood solar panel mounted on my hood. This appears to be the more robust option and won't take up any large amount of storage space. The down side is the mounting location, though the roof isn't much better I feel like this location would only be adequate for charging for only a portion of the day. Also can this even charge a power bank?

And advice on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks all!

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Both of those companies like their products a lot - and charge accordingly. Nothing wrong with them at all, they're just niche specific applications so their prices are higher. You could do 100 watts on the roof rack for far cheaper than Goal Zero - a rigid panel is about $1 a watt and a flexible panel is about $2 a watt from some reputable dealers. What's on your roof rack now? Could you mount a panel on top of whatever you're storing up there if it's a Roam-type box or something so you don't lose the space? I too plan on a Lensun hood panel in the near future, but they're "spendy".

Contributor III

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Tye
Last Name
Beas
Service Branch
ARMY
@TheBison Currently I have a storage box and some rotopax. Thats a good idea about mounting on top of the box though. That being said I know my case has some gouges in it from branches in such so I would be very concerned about putting it there. Main thing is I'm trying to keep from having to deploy something else once we hit camp. Thats why Im looking to do a more permanent mounting solution. As for the price that doesn't bother me to much as long as it works and will last. Buy once cry once!

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBison

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
I would suggest the thin/flexible ETFE solar panels. Easy to mount (2 sided tape) and store if need be (we have 2 x 100w panels stowed between the roll bars and roof when traveling.

For your charge controller I'd suggest an MTTP unit which is more efficient at delivering power.

I built our battery box using a 100ah lithium battery...no inverter necessary because all our requirements are DC.

We head out for 6 months at a time and on hot days 300w of panels just keep pace...fridge is the killer.

Hope this helps ; )

Attachments

Reactions: TygerFighter11B

Contributor III

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Tye
Last Name
Beas
Service Branch
ARMY
I would suggest the thin/flexible ETFE solar panels. Easy to mount (2 sided tape) and store if need be (we have 2 x 100w panels stowed between the roll bars and roof when traveling.

For your charge controller I'd suggest an MTTP unit which is more efficient at delivering power.

I built our battery box using a 100ah lithium battery...no inverter necessary because all our requirements are DC.

We head out for 6 months at a time and on hot days 300w of panels just keep pace...fridge is the killer.

Hope this helps ; )
Killer setup! Definitely a lot to think about.

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Any solar panel eill work. I have 150w flexible pannels on the roof of my truck mounted with 3m VHB tape. Havent had any problems with them and get very good eficiency, with the same footprint as a standard 100w panel. With the Yeti 500x you do not need a charge controler as it is built into it
What you will need is some 45amp anderson connectors and MC4 connectors to attach the panel to the Yeti. They do sell the adapter cables on amazon, but if you would like them to be a proper length and be able to run them easier this is the way to go (10awg recommended as thats what most panels come with). This also makes it easy because you can link/unlink the yeti and move it as needed, then hook up to the panel when it needs charged.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Imagine that! You outgrew that yeti unit rather quickly. Mount a 100 or 150 watt panel on your roof rack and rearrange where you store stuff. Get a generic panel, yup, sometimes less than a dollar a watt. Here’s how I did it.

Reactions: Sea Diamond

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

IMG_1575.JPG IMG_0662.JPEG

I have two panels, one on top of each of my aluminum boxes on my roof rack. I mounted a flexible solar panel (55w) on a sheet of aluminum which then I riveted to the top of the case. The panels are always collecting whatever light they can during the day and I don't have to worry about setting them up at camp, etc.