Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

So, did you find a suitable anti freeze for your Disco ? I was going to install a new 180 degree f thermostat. I dont know how many years old my anti freeze is because there is no drain plug in the LRD2 system. How old is old and is there a special antifreeze for LRD since they have an Aluminum block and heads. I know aluminum breaks down from improper chemical use. Until I know more about anti freeze I won't go forward with the thermostat change. I'm not having any issues like over heating but everything tells me I should be draining all my fluids after 20 years of service and replace them.
For mine I settled on Rotella ELC coolant, it was the most compatible choice stocked locally.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
For mine I settled on Rotella ELC coolant, it was the most compatible choice stocked locally.
Thank you, I will look for it. It use to be you could ask your suppliers like NAPA, but now days these kids behind the counters know nothing about anything.
Being rural like me there is not a lot of expertise to be had. That is what I miss the most about the big cities, more service availability. So many things to renew when you have no owners records. My fluids are good in appearance but I dont know how old they are. I need to check my diff breather tubes too, if it has any. Do you know if there is a breather on the transfer case ? I'd give my left leg (it's no good anyway) for a lift or a hole in the ground to be able to get under my vehicle to look and work on it. I'm too big and old for a crawler. I never dreamed (at your age) that one day old age would keep me from working on my cars.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Thank you, I will look for it. It use to be you could ask your suppliers like NAPA, but now days these kids behind the counters know nothing about anything.
Being rural like me there is not a lot of expertise to be had. That is what I miss the most about the big cities, more service availability. So many things to renew when you have no owners records. My fluids are good in appearance but I dont know how old they are. I need to check my diff breather tubes too, if it has any. Do you know if there is a breather on the transfer case ? I'd give my left leg (it's no good anyway) for a lift or a hole in the ground to be able to get under my vehicle to look and work on it. I'm too big and old for a crawler. I never dreamed (at your age) that one day old age would keep me from working on my cars.
Rover ware has a great kit I got to replace all my breathers, the transfer case is equipped but I’ve only done my rear axle this far due to the plugged up banjo fitting I found that was allowing pressure to build in the axle.