Vehicle gear, camping gear, personal gear. Where do you buy?

• HTML tutorial

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Hey all, like the title says. Where do you purchase your gear from. Suspension seems to be pretty specific. Just wondering what secret websites or stores have the super cool secret gear. Or just where you get most of your goodies.

I'm on Craigslist like crazy trying to find a deal. And usually find something lol. I cruise on amazon too.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Honestly Amazon is my go to for most everything. I will make use of the list feature to hold onto items as I do research and make sure it is something that I really need and to avoid impulse buys. I am pretty obsessive with my planning (it is fun for me) and I like to measure things and figure out how everything packs into my vehicle. For example I found that the front runner stainless steel prep table fits perfectly on the middle shelf ledge in the cargo area of a Land Rover LR3/LR4. You can pile gear up on top of it and still slide out containers under it and it is a perfect/tight fit. (I'm still geeking out about that one)

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Honestly Amazon is my go to for most everything. I will make use of the list feature to hold onto items as I do research and make sure it is something that I really need and to avoid impulse buys. I am pretty obsessive with my planning (it is fun for me) and I like to measure things and figure out how everything packs into my vehicle. For example I found that the front runner stainless steel prep table fits perfectly on the middle shelf ledge in the cargo area of a Land Rover LR3/LR4. You can pile gear up on top of it and still slide out containers under it and it is a perfect/tight fit. (I'm still geeking out about that one)
I do the same thing on Amazon. I have several lists for different things. But once I find something, I check Ebay and google it. Then I'll read a ton of reviews and search forums looking for comments on the product before I buy it. Even if it's a new socket set or wrench for work. Heck, I've got so many air compressors bookmarked and reviews read. Thinking the Viair 450, but it's been about 5 weeks and I haven't committed yet. lol

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I do the same thing on Amazon. I have several lists for different things. But once I find something, I check Ebay and google it. Then I'll read a ton of reviews and search forums looking for comments on the product before I buy it. Even if it's a new socket set or wrench for work. Heck, I've got so many air compressors bookmarked and reviews read. Thinking the Viair 450, but it's been about 5 weeks and I haven't committed yet. lol
I've got a 450p. It's pretty nice.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ShawnR

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I've spent a lot at REI and at Moosejaw for outdoor gear, hiking, climbing, camping etc. Rig gear I tend to visit my local 4x4 shop first, then Amazon if that doesn't work. Although I have to admit I've been ordering off amazon a lot more because they can usually ship it to me with prime and I'll get it sooner than if I wait until I have time to go get it.

Reactions: NorthStar96

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Really goodwill? I didn't think to check that out. I'll have to check that out
shopgoodwill.com...it works just like ebay...I've gotten some great deal on there. Just recently got a barely used pair of women's Merrill backpacking boots, for the wife, for $18.89+shipping ($12.65)...great deal for a $150.00+ pair of boots. Cast iron cookware, tents, fishing gear, etc....

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

I like shopping Bass Bro and REI. Occasionally I like to hit up our local Army Surplus stores and Mel Cottons.