Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Michael submitted an Article on the main site!

Vehicle Flood Checklist

By: Aaron Laurich and Drew Pache

America’s fourth-largest city is in peril. Hurricane Harvey has dropped more than 1 trillion gallons of rain on Houston, Texas, and the surrounding area since it...

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZuLander

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Marcos, Tx
Member #

One note when finding shelter:
For some reason while performing rescues in Houston, we found it common that people were seeking shelter in their attics. This is THE WORST place to shelter. One, no one (rescuers) will know where you are. If you hear a helicopter/boat/etc, they won't hear you screaming for help in the attic, and they'll most likely be gone by the time you get out and come outside.
Two: if flood waters rise, you have NO ESCAPE from your attic. It is far better to prepare for the elements and be on your roof than in an attic. NEVER EVER shelter in an attic!!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
One note when finding shelter:
For some reason while performing rescues in Houston, we found it common that people were seeking shelter in their attics. This is THE WORST place to shelter. One, no one (rescuers) will know where you are. If you hear a helicopter/boat/etc, they won't hear you screaming for help in the attic, and they'll most likely be gone by the time you get out and come outside.
Two: if flood waters rise, you have NO ESCAPE from your attic. It is far better to prepare for the elements and be on your roof than in an attic. NEVER EVER shelter in an attic!!
Thank you for the tip!

steanson

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

I don't think I have NEARLY enough room for all these supplies...and it's just me and two dogs! :confounded:

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I am thinking that in a flood it would make more sense to pack a gallon or two of water per person and then a filtration system or two instead of trying to pack 15 gallons of water per person. For a family of 5 that would make a huge difference in packed weight and space. Like 600 lbs difference.

I also think the 6 cans of fix-a-flat can be replaced by a tire repair kit and OBA.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I appreciate the article it follows guidelines that I have seen before. I would be interested in seeing what is suggested RIG prep for extended time in water, such as diff/trans breathers, seals (Birfields), distributor sealing/gasket check, etc. Not everyone can drive a Unimog so it might be a good ideal to make sure people know where their ECU is located when judging water forging.

Uffindell

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Uffindell
Member #

Great article. I would also appreciate an article on 'suggested RIG prep for extended time in water'.

Troublehardt

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland Oregon
Member #

So a Jerry Can is 5 gallons... let's assume for conversation that the container is 5 lb.s empty.
15 gallons of water per person, rig seats 4.
That's 12 Jerry Cans, full of water, weighing in at 540 Pounds. That is A LOT OF SPACE AND WEIGHT.
Really think about where you are going to fit 12 JERRY CANS.....

Good article, detached from reality in a few places...
I carry 10 gallons of water, 2 cans, and a top shelf ceramic water filter.

Contributor I

You may want to think of the inevitable, one that of carrying or having a firearm. Mostly as protection for you and the family, and secondly, a way to protect your stocks of survial equipment from people wanting it for themselves. If you need protection, I would probably include a 12ga shotgun, with enough ammunition to last for a few weeks....