VagabondExpedition Build

• HTML tutorial

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

Once again I'm months behind updating my build here (although partly due to the hacked OB forum a while back).
Anway, we're into winter in Canada now, so I'll try to update you with a few adventures and build changes from previously in 2016 - the order might be a bit scattered though - and I'll still be adventuring this winter - but just get a bit more time from the 'day job' to update blog and forum posts.

First thing, I just sold off the Tepui Roof Top tent a few weeks back. Nothing wrong with the tent, but it was just "that time" to move onto something different. I sold the tent for a price that was good for me, and good for the new owner so we're both quite happy.

I'll miss the tent in many ways, but at the same time, it'll open up for some other opportunities. Right now, I'm going to enjoy the 'stream-lined' view of the Jeep for a bit, and you'll probably see a cargo box and other gadgetry up on the top of the Jeep as winter progresses.

You can read more on my blog about why I decided to remove the tent... and stay tuned for a peek at my sleeping arrangements once I get this finished up! More updates and changes soon to come!

Reactions: Steve

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

Prepping for the road trip to Overland Expo West 2017... and am doing a few mods, so I thought I'd shoot a few videos at the same time.

Here, I replace a very aged Trasharoo bag with a new one.. yes, it's a five minute install, but I need the video practice :)

Be sure to jump to my YouTube channel, and subscribe for the updates from Overland Expo West... I have a 5200km journey and hope to document with daily videos!

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

We replaced the tailgate table a while back to this newer, solid table with slide out cutting board.
As much as I liked the molle based table I used to have, this one is much better. Check it out, I think you'll agree!

Reactions: Homeguy and Jimmy P

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

Since I parted ways with the Tepui Roof Top Tent (blog post on why), I needed to improve the inside sleeping situation.

I talk a bit about the base sleeping platform and for comfort - window screens!

Next video I'll show you more specifically about the bed construction.

Reactions: Homeguy

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

Added a trailer harness... could this mean an adventure trailer is in the works?!? Nope, not yet anyway. I still like being entirely self contained.

Reactions: Homeguy

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

Sometimes it just takes a couple of simple things to make all the difference in organizing and outfitting your overland rig.
Here are a couple of low cost, simple add-ons in the VagabondExpedition Jeep that I love - simple, but very functional.

Reactions: Jimmy P

Cory1139

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Tidwell
Member #

I noticed the hardtop headliner or insulation...did you notice a significant difference in the inside temperature after you installed it? These year long summers in Tennesse are becoming unbearable with the heat, and these hardtops don't do much good keeping the heat out.

Sent from my SM-J727V using OB Talk mobile app

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

I noticed the hardtop headliner or insulation...did you notice a significant difference in the inside temperature after you installed it? These year long summers in Tennesse are becoming unbearable with the heat, and these hardtops don't do much good keeping the heat out.
It's hard for me to comment (with accuracy) about the heat. I think it helped a bit -- but because I have gear on the roof (previously the roof top tent, and now cargo box and other stuff), the direct sunlight is mostly blocked. There is a definite improvement in noise reduction though.

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

Some people love them, some hate them. Here with the VagabondExpedition Jeep, we're a bit in-between, but we do use them. Rotopax.

In this video of our expedition Jeep build, you'll see how we are using the Rotopax containers, and learn about a couple of problems we've had and the solutions.

Reactions: Jimmy P and Homeguy