• HTML tutorial

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
As we approach this date, let's all remember to be smart and come prepared!

Bring YOUR OWN recovery gear, jack, snacks, water, air compressor, change of clothes, whatever else. I know this seems like common sense, but seriously, make a list and follow it. It will make your trip easier, and it will make every one else's trip much more enjoyable.

@danwyandt Gonna see how much I trust myself to keep up with your built rig, but I'm not scared to back down when I think I'm outclassed.

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513

Bring YOUR OWN recovery gear, jack, snacks, water, air compressor, change of clothes, whatever else. I know this seems like common sense, but seriously, make a list and follow it. It will make your trip easier, and it will make every one else's trip much more enjoyable.

@danwyandt Gonna see how much I trust myself to keep up with your built rig, but I'm not scared to back down when I think I'm outclassed.
It's not that built-up. You'll have no problem.

JJbyrd

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Summerfield, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Hausler
Member #

Sorry if I missed it but has a camp site been picked out ? If so I’m bringing a teardrop will it work there or do I need to look for a site at a campground?

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@JJbyrd A camp site has not yet been determined. It might be a good idea to start working on this, since we're getting close now.

Arrowhead has RV and ground tent accommodations, most accessible to wheel chairs.

@danwyandt You say that, but yours is a good several inches higher, and you've got 35's and sliders, ha ha! Mine's shorter and lighter though. Let's get some rig pics while we're there!

Reactions: danwyandt

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Sorry if I missed it but has a camp site been picked out ? If so I’m bringing a teardrop will it work there or do I need to look for a site at a campground?
@JJbyrd I have a site in mind that will hold the whole group, but I don't believe that a teardrop would make it up, but maybe.
If I can't grab that site when I go Thursday, then other sites that we have to scatter around will probably work for you.

Mack88DO

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Whispering Pines, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
MacKrell
Member #

Is there still room to join? I tentatively have off that weekend. I have a 80 series with sliders, winch, on 35’s. Been to Uwharrie a hand full of times and have completed all but the “3 D’s”. I attempted Dickie Bell on my last trip but bailed. Turns out my 11 year old isn’t the best spotter yet!

Reactions: DintDobbs

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Is there still room to join? I tentatively have off that weekend. I have a 80 series with sliders, winch, on 35’s. Been to Uwharrie a hand full of times and have completed all but the “3 D’s”. I attempted Dickie Bell on my last trip but bailed. Turns out my 11 year old isn’t the best spotter yet!
11 yrs. old and can't spot? Time for him to get a job, I guess. LOL.
The trip is full right now but check back a week or 2 before for cancellations. It almost always happens, that whole life thing. As important as these trips seam at the time, they can get low on priorities quickly.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Mack88DO You don't have to RSVP to come! What's one more truck in the group? There will undoubtedly be many others who happen to coincide with us as well.

@danwyandt We don't necessarily "have" to coordinate ALL of our camp sites, either. While it would be more convenient to get up and go together, there are other issues for some of us. Why rent a camp site if you're using a RTT, for example; but, can you just pay for restroom and shower access without renting a camp site? (Will investigate; I will only rent a camp site if required to access showers, and will not be occupying it in any case.)

It might be as favorable to just let each vehicle's occupants figure out their own camping situation, and plan to meet up at a particular trail head at a particular time in the morning. Just a thought.

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
There ya go @Mathew, 2 spots opened up.

Last edited:

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
With only a week left before this run, now would be a good time to figure out if, where, and how you intend to camp.

I still recommend Arrowhead, but can't speak for how full up that will be.

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513

(Sent as direct message. Posted here for others following but not listed as going.)

Getting close to date, so the campsite I have in mind is marked on OB map as;
Large primitive campsite
576 - Moccasin Creek Road

LAT/LONG is 35.43338,-80.05893

Look for the OB Base Camp Flag at the entrance!

I will be heading down early on Wednesday afternoon to try to secure the spot. If available, I will set up a few tents to keep it occupied :) I'll send a confirmation message, or notify about the next best spot(s)
Since we are down to 9 total (so far) that can get easier to find.

My wife and I will be doing some fishing / hiking for a day or so. I will be monitoring GMRS 16.

-Dan

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #