DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
Count me in!

@danwyandt I'll be cross-posting the Rally Point details to EF, for the others. Thanks for organizing this!

Reactions: danwyandt

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
I received a second invitation to this same event, is that meant to be possible?

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
Getting some much-needed maintenance done on my tow rig this week, she's got to be in top shape by summer! Hopefully will have a new set of tires on her before this trip. Never much liked the tires the previous owner put on.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Carnage_95YJ I don't have 'em either, I didn't need them last year, and I won't need them this year - on all but the toughest trails, you won't really even need more than a 1-2" lift and some A/T's. If you're scared of an obstacle, many trails have bypasses, and turning around is easy. And there are plenty of fire roads that any car could travel. Just avoid Dicky Bell and Daniel, and you should be fine.

Attachments

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
I just looked at the RP again. I don’t have armor, a winch, or sliders, so I’m out. Looking forward to photos of the trip!
Hey Eric,
I checked those boxes thinking it was a recommended item list. I'll modify it. Many of the trails do not require anything other than decent tires, excepting Daniel and maybe Dicky Bell. There will be several winches in the group, so you should be fine :)

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@danwyandt Of course, we don't want him to sustain any body damage! I'll be sticking to the easy and moderate trails, and if anybody's scared, they can always ride shotgun with somebody else on that trail and see if they want to chance it.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Carnage_95YJ Found some old pics from last year, to give an idea of some of the easier trails. The camera never captures the slopes.

The majority of the trails are like this. There are lots of videos about the area on the Internet, as well. Most of it is only difficult because of incline and visibility, not because of terrain.

Attachments

NCFireGuy

Rank VI

Influencer I

West Jefferson, North Carolina, USA
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Bouchard
Member #

Service Branch
Retired Fire/EMS
Hey Eric,
I checked those boxes thinking it was a recommended item list. I'll modify it. Many of the trails do not require anything other than decent tires, excepting Daniel and maybe Dicky Bell. There will be several winches in the group, so you should be fine :)
Really need a check box for must have AC in tent

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

@Carnage_95YJ Found some old pics from last year, to give an idea of some of the easier trails. The camera never captures the slopes.

The majority of the trails are like this. There are lots of videos about the area on the Internet, as well. Most of it is only difficult because of incline and visibility, not because of terrain.
I’ve been to Uwharrie many times and done most of the trails. I didn’t want to slow a group down that was doing trails that required body armor or rock rails.

Reactions: DintDobbs

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Carnage_95YJ Well, I don't want to push you to do anything you don't want to - but I'll be sticking to the moderate trails any way, so you'll still have somebody to run with even if you don't take the hard stuff.

It's really up to you, though.

And where's @b0wfin, I thought he'd be in on this one. Perhaps he's bringing his own group. I'll update on EF regarding who's in.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
Getting a 2nd rig ready for this trip, hopefully I'll be bringing a driver for it too. More rigs means more fun.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Kinginthewoods Hope you have fun out there! Your rig should be able to handle most of the easy and moderate trails, but you'll probably want to avoid the ones with rocks. The camera never shows how tight and twisty the trails actually get, and that's not even to mention the sharp ups and downs.

If I'm being honest though, I actually found all but 2 or 3 of the trails to be unexpectedly easy. Downhills are much harder than uphills. The rig did leave with body damage.

Last edited: