uv resistant bungee's for stuff on my frontrunner rack or what else?

• HTML tutorial

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
i like using bungee's,,, good well made bungee's, that is, to attach my shovel and my max trax to my front runner rack. works great,,,,,,EXCEPT,,, the sun here in las vegas eats them up. just wondering if anyone has come up with a good sun resistant stretchy thing that works. i like bungee's cause they hold stuff down tight and don't get loose. i suppose i will have to buy some special frontrunner thing to hold down my max trax and shovel for approximately a million dollars per bolt but would prefer a less wallet shrinking idea. thanks for any help

Reactions: Lil Bear

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Qucik fists for shovels and axes and Stratchits for everything else.
I also made a homemade bracket for my traction mats at about 30% the cost of Max Trax mounts and pins.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
The only time to use bungees to hold anything down other than a tarp, is in the case of a emergency. Stratchets work well, as do ratchet straps and the aforementioned fist grips. I use all three. I’ve seen brand new, high quality black rubber bungees snap in less than two weeks. They are designed to last 4 - 6 months with constant use but there’s always a bad one somewhere in a batch.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I've gone to using old leather or nylon bicycle toe clip straps for small stuff and the extra strap from a trail cam for larger items or a Bison Belt.

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
those stratchits look pretty nice,,, dang! sending more money to frontrunner i guess. i happen to have some quick fists on a orange boxx system that is in the back that i never use,,, i could put them on rack for shovel!

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Only issue I have with the Quick Fists is they are exposed to the sun and cold here in West Texas. They last about a year. I wish they had a thicker edge under the tab you grab on top. They crack and die at that smallest/thinnest point.

Last edited:

Tommy9610

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Weirs Beach, Laconia, NH, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRFG768
I rarely use "bungee" cords but I have found that "PERFECT BUNGEE" is leaps and bounds better than all the others.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

I rarely use "bungee" cords but I have found that "PERFECT BUNGEE" is leaps and bounds better than all the others.
Perfect Bungee is currently offering 20% off sitewide for anyone interested. Use code AMB2020 at checkout.

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
Only issue I have with the Quick Fists is they are exposed to the sun and cold here in West Texas. They last about a year. I wish they had a thicker edge under the tab you grab on top. They crack and die at that smallest/thinnest point.
well that is not good, i am in las vegas,,, i just put 2 quickfists on my rack for my shovel... the clock is ticking i guess.

Trigger T4R

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Lance
Last Name
:
Member #

Qucik fists for shovels and axes and Stratchits for everything else.
I also made a homemade bracket for my traction mats at about 30% the cost of Max Trax mounts and pins.

Great idea! I’ll be using that when my traction boards come in the mail.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

well that is not good, i am in las vegas,,, i just put 2 quickfists on my rack for my shovel... the clock is ticking i guess.
Bah. Same here, just mounted quickfists on for my axe, I’m in California:unamused:... tick tock. Anyone have a quickfist alternative?
I’m using all metal axe brackets from Yakima iirc. Quick fists work but I’ve seen several rollovers where they failed in one form or another (often tearing off their mounting bolt) and sent tools flying. Asked our FD guys what’s mounting things in their trucks and most is quickfists style but those tools are locked in lockers as well, where needed externally mounted equipment typically has metal brackets affixing there gear in place.

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
Looks like they're currently on sale. 2 for less than $20.

yes, too bad they are out of stock on the black ones which where 15 for 2,,, i had to get the reflective black at 19 for two....... look great, only downside is the hooks dont' have a retention bar. they have a cool way to hook together but i probably won't do that.

Reactions: Brett L.

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
Looks like they're currently on sale. 2 for less than $20.

update on the lynx hooks,,,,, somewhat dissapointed,,, cheap plastic hooks,,,really thin over all,,,,,,,i will use them for something else,,,,,,,

i mean i am sure they are good for some things

just so everyone knows,,, definetely not good for putting stuff on roof rack.

looks like i will be buying some stratchets

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

update on the lynx hooks,,,,, somewhat dissapointed,,, cheap plastic hooks,,,really thin over all,,,,,,,i will use them for something else,,,,,,,

i mean i am sure they are good for some things

just so everyone knows,,, definetely not good for putting stuff on roof rack.

looks like i will be buying some stratchets
Yep. Just got my order and thought the same exact thing. Glad I didn't pay too much for them.

Reactions: MOAK