Utility trailer to camper conversion (Photo Heavy)

• HTML tutorial

ob_explore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA 70507 US
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Hello all, I probably couldve posted these photos along the way but I've been too lazy. Haha.

Ive gotten very much influence and inspiration from many builds I've seen, both commercial and DIY. (I probably like and definitely appreciate most of the DIYs better) Anyway, I built this thing over about a year, using it and adding things that I felt we 'needed'...

We are fairly new to overland style camping because on most of our excursions, camping was not our primary purpose. Day hikes and kayaking was generally what we would set out to do, then we would head home. Honestly, I discovered "overlanding" while searching 'bug-out vehicle ideas'... So this serves a double purpose for me. Cant say I'm a prepper, cant say I'm not. Haha!

So, with that said, our 'needs' pretty much are truly only 'nice-to-haves'. This trailer lets us extend our kayaking trips longer, even if it's just one day of paddling. We get to hang around, cook, camp out, and enjoy nature without feeling the need to get home and rest or settle down and unpack.

No need for extensive unpacking as we have dedicated gear for the trailer. All we have to load is the cooler, dry food box, and the boats if we plan to take them.

This thing started life as a 12x5 foot, single-axle utility trailer. I've always wanted to learn welding, so I bought a decent welder and started melting things... Haha. I cut two-feet off the rear of it so I ended up with a 10-foot deck. The box is made 8x4.5 feet and made of wood. I used Thompsons and water-sealed inside and out. After a few weeks of the water seal curing, I sprayed it with 4 bottles of Raptor liner. All the corners are finished with 1.25-inch aluminum angle. Rear door frames with u-channel aluminum.

Current creature comforts:

46-gallon water tank
Shurflo 3.5 gpm 12volt water pump
Ecotemp L5 propane shower in Pelican case
500 pound drawer slides for kitchen
2-100 watt HQST solar panels
30-amp PWM solar charge controller
2-6volt 240AH golf cart batteries
1500 watt pure sine inverter
Blue sea master switch and fuse panel

Things definitely to come:

2000-watt inverter generator (current one is too loud)
Batwing style awning
12-volt fridge freezer (in the truck since trailer is not always needed)

So far so good. It's operational but we are still or setting this thing up for most efficient use, so the layout will probably change a little.

For example, we learned that 46 gallons is not too much water for a week's use. I installed a big tank just-in-case... Never though nor intended to fill the tank to capacity except if we needed trailer for disaster evacuation, so we had to refill during our last trip. Things like this come from experience. Also, I will add a good shore power charger; but I have not had to charge the batteries AT ALL due to solar AND I only use one 100-watt panel fulltime. The second one is to add for cloudy days and heavy use.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Nice conversion. I built my own years ago and keep tweaking it every year. I'm curious, How much does it weigh loaded down with everything including the huge capacity water tank and how much empty? The reason I ask is because I learned the hard way. My trailer is 1,200 lbs loaded, with 33" rubber and wheels to match the tow rig. I had a 2,000 lb axle and kept blowing spindles. Always made me sick to my stomach when I would see the shrapnel flying off would catch my eye in the mirror. Finally I upgraded to a 3500 lb ez lube axle and haven't had any problems.

Last edited:

ob_explore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA 70507 US
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Thanks! I didnt weigh it but I'd say maybe 1800 lbs loaded. The Watertank is heaviest one item so I put it on the axle. Truck doesnt really feel the trailer, so it's hard to tell. The box by itself probably weighs 250lbs. My son and I hand loaded it onto the trailer under the tent rack. It was a tight fit but we put it on without a big struggle.

JKChad

Rank 0

Contributor II

Very nice! I have a hybrid trailer as well! I've thought heavily on an enclosed insert like you have. I just don't really have the space to store it when I need the open trailer to haul stuff. I'm just going to build a raised, aluminum, lid for mine this winter. Once I do that, I'll be adding a dedicated 12v system with an inverter.

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

Hello all, I probably couldve posted these photos along the way but I've been too lazy. Haha.

Ive gotten very much influence and inspiration from many builds I've seen, both commercial and DIY. (I probably like and definitely appreciate most of the DIYs better) Anyway, I built this thing over about a year, using it and adding things that I felt we 'needed'...

We are fairly new to overland style camping because on most of our excursions, camping was not our primary purpose. Day hikes and kayaking was generally what we would set out to do, then we would head home. Honestly, I discovered "overlanding" while searching 'bug-out vehicle ideas'... So this serves a double purpose for me. Cant say I'm a prepper, cant say I'm not. Haha!

So, with that said, our 'needs' pretty much are truly only 'nice-to-haves'. This trailer lets us extend our kayaking trips longer, even if it's just one day of paddling. We get to hang around, cook, camp out, and enjoy nature without feeling the need to get home and rest or settle down and unpack.

No need for extensive unpacking as we have dedicated gear for the trailer. All we have to load is the cooler, dry food box, and the boats if we plan to take them.

This thing started life as a 12x5 foot, single-axle utility trailer. I've always wanted to learn welding, so I bought a decent welder and started melting things... Haha. I cut two-feet off the rear of it so I ended up with a 10-foot deck. The box is made 8x4.5 feet and made of wood. I used Thompsons and water-sealed inside and out. After a few weeks of the water seal curing, I sprayed it with 4 bottles of Raptor liner. All the corners are finished with 1.25-inch aluminum angle. Rear door frames with u-channel aluminum.

Current creature comforts:

46-gallon water tank
Shurflo 3.5 gpm 12volt water pump
Ecotemp L5 propane shower in Pelican case
500 pound drawer slides for kitchen
2-100 watt HQST solar panels
30-amp PWM solar charge controller
2-6volt 240AH golf cart batteries
1500 watt pure sine inverter
Blue sea master switch and fuse panel

Things definitely to come:

2000-watt inverter generator (current one is too loud)
Batwing style awning
12-volt fridge freezer (in the truck since trailer is not always needed)

So far so good. It's operational but we are still or setting this thing up for most efficient use, so the layout will probably change a little.

For example, we learned that 46 gallons is not too much water for a week's use. I installed a big tank just-in-case... Never though nor intended to fill the tank to capacity except if we needed trailer for disaster evacuation, so we had to refill during our last trip. Things like this come from experience. Also, I will add a good shore power charger; but I have not had to charge the batteries AT ALL due to solar AND I only use one 100-watt panel fulltime. The second one is to add for cloudy days and heavy use.

I like the kayak under solution. Showing this to my wife as we like to camp and kayak

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: ob_explore

ob_explore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA 70507 US
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

That sounds like a good plan. I had originally wanted to make the box easily removable so I could use the trailer to haul stuff; but my father-in-law had a 5x12 trailer just sitting around, so that one has become the work-duty trailer.
Very nice! I have a hybrid trailer as well! I've thought heavily on an enclosed insert like you have. I just don't really have the space to store it when I need the open trailer to haul stuff. I'm just going to build a raised, aluminum, lid for mine this winter. Once I do that, I'll be adding a dedicated 12v system with an inverter.

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

JKChad

Rank 0

Contributor II

That sounds like a good plan. I had originally wanted to make the box easily removable so I could use the trailer to haul stuff; but my father-in-law had a 5x12 trailer just sitting around, so that one has become the work-duty trailer.

Nice, my grandfather built my trailer, frame and box, about 40 years ago. I started restoring it last year. It's super overbuilt for it's size, but that's what I love about it. The ID of the box is only 4'x6.5', but it's built on 1.5"x4"x.250" c channel steel and the interior skins are .250" aluminum. I've redone the axle with 3500lb Dexter with electric brakes and a manual parking brake. Lengthened the tongue and made it have a removable coupler, telescoping rack for my RTT and awning, ect.. it's been a really fun build. The picture with the rtt in the box is how it was when I got it from my dad last year. Lot of work since then.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bowtied13

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burton
Nice, my grandfather built my trailer, frame and box, about 40 years ago. I started restoring it last year. It's super overbuilt for it's size, but that's what I love about it. The ID of the box is only 4'x6.5', but it's built on 1.5"x4"x.250" c channel steel and the interior skins are .250" aluminum. I've redone the axle with 3500lb Dexter with electric brakes and a manual parking brake. Lengthened the tongue and made it have a removable coupler, telescoping rack for my RTT and awning, ect.. it's been a really fun build. The picture with the rtt in the box is how it was when I got it from my dad last year. Lot of work since then.

Awesome build JKChad. I'm looking at starting a trailer build soon myself. Do you have more details about your build? Build thread or anything?

JKChad

Rank 0

Contributor II

ob_explore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA 70507 US
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

I love the telescoping rack! I almost did that myself but was to lazy/scared... haha! I comforted myself with knowing that the tent would have a sturdy platform and the space under without the kayaks would offer little or no wind resistance.

Reactions: T.Shack

T.Shack

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Red Bluff Ca.
Member #

I love the telescoping rack! I almost did that myself but was to lazy/scared... haha! I comforted myself with knowing that the tent would have a sturdy platform and the space under without the kayaks would offer little or no wind resistance.
It looks & sounds like you have as much fun building it, as you do using it. Kudos on the learning to weld! What welder did you get?

pjo

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

North Vancouver
Member #

@ob_explore I must admit I have been waffling on a trailer for quite sometime...however your build and the idea of a convertible has me seriously considering it!

Do you still take the shell out of the trailer from time to time? If so, how do you secure the two together?

Very impressed and intrigued

ob_explore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lafayette, LA 70507 US
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

@ob_explore I must admit I have been waffling on a trailer for quite sometime...however your build and the idea of a convertible has me seriously considering it!

Do you still take the shell out of the trailer from time to time? If so, how do you secure the two together?

Very impressed and intrigued
No I dont take it off. I decided against taking it out since I do have another utility trailer. I just dedicated this one to camping, kayaking, or other outdoors activities.

The box is bolted to the trailer through the floor. To prevent rot, I left about a 1.5 inch air gap between the bottom frame of the box and the trailer floor. The bottom is made of treated 2x4 and 2x6 wood, then covered with 3/16 inch treated plywood, so it's a sturdy base and hasn't moved at all.

Reactions: pjo