• HTML tutorial

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

So I live in my 94 Wrangler YJ - and what works best for me are:
A pair of interior LED | rechargeable lights - http://amzn.to/2sDPyE2 - (these give me more than enough lights inside my Wrangler - and they magnetically attach to the hardtop)

upload_2017-7-8_15-34-38.png

A pair of exterior LED solar powered | rechargeable lights - http://amzn.to/2t8ajJe - (these give me more than enough light outside - I have them attached to my rear tire carrier and they also have a motion sensor)

Sleeping setup in my Jeep.jpg

BradD

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

rincon, GA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Dixon
Member #

I use some custom lights i built. I hang them in certain areas around camp and run leads back to a battery box. The box has switches to control each light. They have a nice glow to them so you can see where you need to go but doesn't blind you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I recently hard mounted some rock lights to my roof rack that work great for 360 lighting at camp. They are switched at the dash and I also have a little remote for them that come in handy if we leave the vehicle at night or the wifey needs lighting coming downstairs in the middle of the night. Got tired of recharging and hanging lights. Also wired in an LED strip in the iKamper. 69AAB805-4238-471C-BE82-7247FF4C9642.jpegA4C2AC07-CDFB-4528-834B-3DE9547D831B.jpeg

Jake Wettern | iamjake

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Member #

I recently hard mounted some rock lights to my roof rack that work great for 360 lighting at camp. They are switched at the dash and I also have a little remote for them that come in handy if we leave the vehicle at night or the wifey needs lighting coming downstairs in the middle of the night. Got tired of recharging and hanging lights. Also wired in an LED strip in the iKamper. View attachment 45945View attachment 45944
Great idea and looks good!

Reactions: shoredreamer

TuckerBadger

Rank 0

Traveler I

I recently hard mounted some rock lights to my roof rack that work great for 360 lighting at camp. They are switched at the dash and I also have a little remote for them that come in handy if we leave the vehicle at night or the wifey needs lighting coming downstairs in the middle of the night. Got tired of recharging and hanging lights. Also wired in an LED strip in the iKamper. View attachment 45945View attachment 45944

Absolutely brilliant idea to use rock lights! What model of rock lights did you use?

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

on my build one concern was lighting. I wanted lights that would help me & the wife visually than hinder us @ night time hours (our night time vision). The brighter the lights whether cool white or warm white have more of a negative impact on your night vision capacities especially them late night restroom visits. I went with filtered green LED's because of retaining our night vision capabilities at night hours & insects are not attracted to green light. Another reason I like & chosen the green was these filtered color lights are an excellent choice for having that long distances low detection at night.

We also use propane lantern on a propane distribution post
028.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

Last edited:

DesertFox

Rank III

Advocate II

California
Member #

That bottom pic looks almost Rockwellian. It's an ideal of overlanding camp bliss.

Well done.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

I’ve been considering trying some of these:

USB Rechargeable Bike Light Set, Akale Super Bright LED Bicycle Lights Set Front and Rear, 4 Light Mode Options, 650mah Lithium Battery, Bike Headlight, IPX4 Waterproof, 2 USB cables 3 Strap Included

I like the idea of not running wiring everywhere, amd having lights electrically separate from the battery system on the vehicle. It may not be perfect, but it is simple and cheap...

Sauerkraut088

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Wequetequock
First Name
Wesley
Last Name
Wollschlager
Member #

For the most part it's at least 4 different lanterns between led, coleman fuel, and candles. I do have some LED Christmas lights up that I run to a portable jump pack attached to an inverter . In the summer we also put up tiki torches too.

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

W
These turned out to be pretty bright, 12ft long I strung it around inside the tent and it lit it up, I had to turn the lights on around 1am and was surprised cause I was blinded for a while they were so bright in the middle of the night it was crazy. I'll defiantly be picking another strip up and maybe the light from CVT.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
What kind of power source are you running these on?

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Generally speaking, is all this for security purposes? As far as moving around and doing basic chores, I feel like I have always done just fine using a headlamp or just the firelight. This isn't meant to a knock on anyone, but I'd be pretty annoyed if I was in a group and somebody flooded the camp with bright white light everytime they went to the woods to take a leak...

*edit*

I did just ask my wife what she thought and she did say it would make her feel a bit more secure to have that kind of illumination. So, I'll be looking into that I suppose, heh. But, it will likely be red lights, instead of white.

Last edited:

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Rock lights, what a brilliant idea. Off to find some .......

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
So I live in my 94 Wrangler YJ - and what works best for me are:
A pair of interior LED | rechargeable lights - http://amzn.to/2sDPyE2 - (these give me more than enough lights inside my Wrangler - and they magnetically attach to the hardtop)

View attachment 28432

A pair of exterior LED solar powered | rechargeable lights - http://amzn.to/2t8ajJe - (these give me more than enough light outside - I have them attached to my rear tire carrier and they also have a motion sensor)

View attachment 28433
Jake, thanks for this tip they work awesome!!!

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

So I've been reading about these darn Luminoodles on different forums for a couple weeks now so I went on Amazon to see what all the fuss is about. They're awesome! They pack up really small and are really bright. I'm curious how long the battery pack will last, but it's LEDs so I figure it'll be good for at least a few hours at a time, and that's all I really need. I absolutely love that they can be mounted via magnets. I opened the rear door of the FJ and hung them off the door and they provide more than enough light to use while cooking (my rear door rack with fold down table should be here any day). I can also mount it to the side of the rig under the awning and have plenty of light for hanging out at night. Pretty neat addition to my kit.

I purchase the Luminoodle Color in the 5' set up. How long is your battery pack lasting? I purchased the Pronto battery pack with it also.

Jade Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneola, FL
My battery lasted a couple hours. I never used it longer than that and charged it via a USB plug in the vehicle after every use.
I purchase the Luminoodle Color in the 5' set up. How long is your battery pack lasting? I purchased the Pronto battery pack with it also.

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

If you have the Geek gene and can code in c++... You might like to check out NeoPixles. You can get them in rolls like the white lights and they can be white and brighter then heck. But they are actually full color RGB and programmable. Meaning you can set any light on the strip any color/brightness you want.

Here's an example : https://www.adafruit.com/product/2964

You can get them in a huge variety of form factors. Depending how good you are at coding you can get them to do all sorts of stuff.

An example of one I did for a local business.

-jim lee

Ben Kim

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Centennial, CO, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Kim
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0YZW
I just bought the CVT solar lamp, it’s currently on sale for $200. Can’t wait to get it! I really like that it’s solar but you can still plug it in to charge it at home, has a USB port and the four detachable lights are magnetic so you can stick them to metal surfaces. It looks like it folds up well too so it doesn’t take up a lot of space. I’ll post my impressions when it gets delivered. There a couple of good reviews on YouTube for it. SwellRunner and Primal Outdoors are good reviews. It also looks like the CVT version is a rebranded version of the Free Spirit Recreation GO light.

Reactions: QCrunner