Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Brother and I will be driving this from west to east in June for the first time. Have five full days, but also want to drive Colorado’s Alpine Loop.

If anyone’s done the trail, I’d appreciate your insight, guidance or recommendations. Thanks

FYI, we’re experienced on trails, too include several Moab trips, and our rigs have recovery gear/systems.

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
I'm the Southern Utah Member rep, let me know if you need any help planning trails and camping spots. Keep in touch and I can help keep you posted on route conditions as the snow starts to come down off the mountains. Also.. you can check out my camping and POI kml here.. for some potential camping spots. Zion and Grand Canyon Camp Spots I might even meetup with you and run some parts of the trail!

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Brother and I will be driving this from west to east in June for the first time. Have five full days, but also want to drive Colorado’s Alpine Loop.

If anyone’s done the trail, I’d appreciate your insight, guidance or recommendations. Thanks

FYI, we’re experienced on trails, too include several Moab trips, and our rigs have recovery gear/systems.
The Alpine Loop is normally open by June, but this year there are concerns. The following website says they are hoping for the middle of June. I encourage you to bookmark and check often: Ouray Jeep Trail Conditions.

In a nutshell, June is a bit early to have the run of the place. Many things will not be clear of snow and avalanche damage. Note also the following numbers for trail conditions from Silverton's point of view:
Silverton Visitor Center: 970-387-5654
Silverton Public Lands Ofc? : 970-387-5530

The Alpine Loop consists of Engineer and Cinnamon Pass trails. At the link above you'll want to look for those names. Engineer is the better of the two, but Cinnamon is likely to be open sooner because locals use it. While Cinnamon is certainly better than driving on pavement, in my opinion it's no where near as amazing as many of the others in the area.

I notice you have 5 days for your trip. Frankly, I would want 5 days just for this Colorado area. If you were going to be there late enough that everything was open I'd strongly suggest you do Imogene Pass and others plus Black Bear if you're really adventurous.

There are others here that can probably give more in depth advice, but don't hesitate to ask if you think I can be of any service. BTW, I've been interested in a Utah Traverse. Do you have a link for info on the route you are taking?

Reactions: 12C20

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

I'm the Southern Utah Member rep, let me know if you need any help planning trails and camping spots. Keep in touch and I can help keep you posted on route conditions as the snow starts to come down off the mountains. Also.. you can check out my camping and POI kml here.. for some potential camping spots. Zion and Grand Canyon Camp Spots I might even meetup with you and run some parts of the trail!
A-Aron, thanks for reaching out. My brother and I both sleep in our rigs, so we're
A-Aron, thanks for reaching out. My brother and I sleep in our rigs when we hit the trails, so as long as a few rocks can level me out, we're comfortable anywhere...but I've read there are great camp spots on the trail, so I'm always open to recommendations. I did find a gaia route with several waypoints for camping and sites to see on a Tacomaworld thread:
Southern Utah Traverse (19-25 MAY)
I will absolutely be in contact moving forward and hope you don't mind me sending a few questions your way in the next few weeks when I get some time to sit down and start to plan. And we'd be glad to meet up with you on the trail. We're starting the trail on Saturday, June 15th around 10-ish.

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

The Alpine Loop is normally open by June, but this year there are concerns. The following website says they are hoping for the middle of June. I encourage you to bookmark and check often: Ouray Jeep Trail Conditions.

In a nutshell, June is a bit early to have the run of the place. Many things will not be clear of snow and avalanche damage. Note also the following numbers for trail conditions from Silverton's point of view:

The Alpine Loop consists of Engineer and Cinnamon Pass trails. At the link above you'll want to look for those names. Engineer is the better of the two, but Cinnamon is likely to be open sooner because locals use it. While Cinnamon is certainly better than driving on pavement, in my opinion it's no where near as amazing as many of the others in the area.

I notice you have 5 days for your trip. Frankly, I would want 5 days just for this Colorado area. If you were going to be there late enough that everything was open I'd strongly suggest you do Imogene Pass and others plus Black Bear if you're really adventurous.

There are others here that can probably give more in depth advice, but don't hesitate to ask if you think I can be of any service. BTW, I've been interested in a Utah Traverse. Do you have a link for info on the route you are taking?
Neal, great info, thanks! We were initially going to spend the 5 days in Colorado, but we were burned last year...My brother and I were on our way from California to the Alpine Loop last October when I called a Ranger while driving through Utah and was told the snow had started and it wasn't letting up for like a week, so we simply went to Moab, again, for the week. We really want to do the Alpine Loop, but I agree with you, the weather is a crapshoot! Most of our trips we just have an idea of where we want to go and then figure it out when we get there, so I appreciate all the insight...

Regarding the Utah Traverse, I found the following link on Tacomaworld (I don't have a Taco, just stumbled across their site). I use gaia, so I went to the following link, scroll down just a bit and you'll see a map screen shot with a gaia link directly above, click on the link at it display the route with gas stations, camping, and interesting things to see.
Southern Utah Traverse (19-25 MAY)

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

I agree. I’ve not done the Utah Traverse, but if you take the dirt roads, it can be a 5-day trip in itself.

Stay mostly on pavement, with a side trip or two, and you could get across in 2 easy days and have 3 days in Colorado.
12C20, great point, this brings up a good question for A-Aron and/or anyone who knows, are there a few can't miss spots on the Traverse where if I only had 2-3 days, these are the sites to see?

My brother and I discussed just starting the trail and making a call by the evening of the second day to either finish the trail or depart right then for Colorado.

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Neal,

Found the following link that includes a very detailed write-up w/pics on the Utah Traverse:
Southern Utah Traverse 2009

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
How is the planning going for your trip? Most everything below 7500 ft in Southern Utah is passable..and green.. and extra pretty this yr because of all the extra water. Let me know if I can help.. I could kill your 5 days here with no problems.

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

How is the planning going for your trip? Most everything below 7500 ft in Southern Utah is passable..and green.. and extra pretty this yr because of all the extra water. Let me know if I can help.. I could kill your 5 days here with no problems.
A-Aron,
I was holding off on the planning until I knew if Colorado's Alpine Loop would be open in late June, but just spoke to park ranger and she said the snow, water accumulation and avalanches were so bad this year parts, if not most, of the loop may not open at all this year...so looks like Utah Traverse it is! Other than downloading a kml map of the Traverse that included a bunch of sights to see, I've been so busy with work that I haven't done any planning...should have more time beginning of June.

I'm always open to some "can't miss" recommended sights/campspots. Also, I heard there's a watering hole we can jump into; I'd appreciate those coordinates. Additionally, we're trying to avoid paved roads as much as possible and we'll have 5 days to traverse the Traverse. Thanks again!

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

Look into visiting Hole In The Rock on the north/west side of the Colorado River, out of Escalante, UT. There’s epic pioneer history there, including the remains of a cantilevered dugway built to get wagons down to the river.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Look into visiting Hole In The Rock on the north/west side of the Colorado River, out of Escalante, UT. There’s epic pioneer history there, including the remains of a cantilevered dugway built to get wagons down to the river.
The Eastern half of that trail is an amazing 4WD route.

Reactions: 12C20

Rob Gurden

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Member #

I'm new to Overland Bound. We live in LA but i'm looking to take my family to the Utah Traverse sometime in the next couple of weeks. Is Utah open right now in terms of the COVID-19 situation? Also, I would love any information that you have on routes and dispersed campsites. Thank you!

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Utah is open everywhere but Grand county (Moab) for dispersed camping, they plan to open when they open Arches and Canyonlands. That being said, the best way for me to help is probably for you to give me more specifics about the areas you'll be around when camping, and I can help with sites nearby.

Reactions: Rob Gurden

Rob Gurden

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Member #

Utah is open everywhere but Grand county (Moab) for dispersed camping, they plan to open when they open Arches and Canyonlands. That being said, the best way for me to help is probably for you to give me more specifics about the areas you'll be around when camping, and I can help with sites nearby.
We just noticed that they are opening up Zion on May 13. We are thinking of coming either south of Grand Canyon and visiting Grand Bench/Alstrom Point area and then going to Twin Point on the rim of the Grand Canyon or go north through Vegas and visit Twin Point then head west through Grand Bench/Alstrom Point on our way towards Moab/Canyonlands. Hoping that Moab is open by that time (May 17-18). Any suggestions on where to go or routes from Grand Bench to Moab? We were looking at Dead Horse Point/Shafer Trail area along wtih White Rim Trail. Any camp spots near there? TIA

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
We just noticed that they are opening up Zion on May 13. We are thinking of coming either south of Grand Canyon and visiting Grand Bench/Alstrom Point area and then going to Twin Point on the rim of the Grand Canyon or go north through Vegas and visit Twin Point then head west through Grand Bench/Alstrom Point on our way towards Moab/Canyonlands. Hoping that Moab is open by that time (May 17-18). Any suggestions on where to go or routes from Grand Bench to Moab? We were looking at Dead Horse Point/Shafer Trail area along wtih White Rim Trail. Any camp spots near there? TIA
From Grandbench/alstrom you can go up either Croton Rd or Smoky mountain road to Escalante, then continue on HWY 12 till Hwy 24, cut east through Capitol Reef NP, then decide from there.. lots of options for camping along HWY12 and HWY 24, but to actually get to MOAB, you're going to have to go up to I70 and back down. You could easily spend several weeks in the area and never get bored, don't let "MOAB" ruin the journey.. so many wonderful places to explore along the way, many of which are better than Moab, less crowded, and have so much more to offer.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Following this as we're getting ready to do part of the Southern Utah Traverse in late May/early June. Quite a few questions we had about when stuff was going to open as been answered already... but I'm sure i'll have more to bring up as I get more planning done.

Reactions: Rob Gurden

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Thinking of heading somewhere in southern Utah over memorial day. I am currently in Park City. Just need to get away. Want to take some time and unwind and take some pix. Thought about St. George. I saw pix of a cool wide cascade water fall somewhere near there I wanted to take a pix of my rig at. Anybody have any particulars on it. It is a shallow wide ledge and people actually park their vehicles on the ledge, possibly in the water and take the pix from some distance away.

Anybody have the scoop on what I am talking about. I was a professional photographer so if anybody wants to knock around low key at get some pix and relaxion, post up. If anybody has any cool photogenic places in SW Utah, please post up.

The spot I was looking at is Toquerville falls. anybody want to go?

Last edited: