UTAH - Squaw Peak Road to Hobble Creek Canyon (July 1st)

• HTML tutorial

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Im cool with that, I will likely travel to the overlook ahead of time and get some shots for the forum before hand, but it defiantly is big enough....

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

I still think this early in the morning it will not be busy at all, and from the count here, I see 11 coming, I think a group shot at the overlook would be awesome but there are only 13 painted parking spots so I doubt all the rigs would be in it.... But as you can see from this photo, there are another 10 or so shoulder, scattered spots. These spots are lined with big rocks so I believe they are made to facilitate the "Provo make out point" which if your not use to Mormonism is ALMOST like getting to 2nd base in grade school. Just kidding, well sort of kidding. Those local will get the joke.

Preston Tiegs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Provo Utah
Member #

I still think this early in the morning it will not be busy at all, and from the count here, I see 11 coming, I think a group shot at the overlook would be awesome but there are only 13 painted parking spots so I doubt all the rigs would be in it.... But as you can see from this photo, there are another 10 or so shoulder, scattered spots. These spots are lined with big rocks so I believe they are made to facilitate the "Provo make out point" which if your not use to Mormonism is ALMOST like getting to 2nd base in grade school. Just kidding, well sort of kidding. Those local will get the joke.

Haha Provo resident. Everything he said is true.

Reactions: utspoolup

Russell Peters

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Orem, Ut
Member #

It was just an idea. The one Saturday I was up there the parking lot, as well as the shoulder, was full with vehicles of people hiking and paragliding.

Russell Peters

Reactions: Preston Tiegs

DaveSLC

Rank 0

Contributor II

Excited for the trail this Saturday. Does anyone know how long we should expect the trail to take? I have some family in town and need to plan accordingly.

Russell Peters
I've done it a couple times before. Round trip to Provo, I'd conservatively say you'd be home by 7, maybe earlier depending on length of stops, etc.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

DaveSLC

Rank 0

Contributor II

So it is a 9 hour trip from Provo back to Provo?
Rough ballpark guesstimation, yes. I did the whole thing like 10 years ago, and up to the summit last summer. By the time you leave your house, meetup, drive, lunch, picture stops, and back from Hobble Creek canyon, it might take that long. Likely less, but might be that long.

Reactions: Preston Tiegs

campinfreak

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Spanish Fork, UT, USA
First Name
Jared
Last Name
Miller
Member #

I've never run the whole thing, but isn't it like 35 miles? I don't expect it to take that long
According to Google the dirt portion of Squaw Peak road is 20 miles. Total for me from my house back to my house is 54 miles (I live in Vineyard, between Orem and Utah Lake). I just don't see it taking that long.

I am trying to guesstimate as I want to take my wife and two small kids.

Anybody else have an input/idea on the time table of this trip?

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

As far as time goes, you could probably take the Left Fork Hobble Creek Rd once we are at the end of Squaw Peak and head back into Springville.

Or is that where we are going to end at? I'm not super familiar with the area.

ngurney

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Provo, Utah, USA
Member #

As far as time goes, you could probably take the Left Fork Hobble Creek Rd once we are at the end of Squaw Peak and head back into Springville.

Or is that where we are going to end at? I'm not super familiar with the area.
I was pretty sure that is where we end at. Unless we want to continue through Diamond Fork, but that would probably double our trip. I am really doubting it is a full 9 hours, but I haven't done it so take that for nothing lol.

DaveSLC

Rank 0

Contributor II

It isn't a graded Forest road the whole way. Coming from Provo, atthe Rock Creek campground to Hobble Creek it is a rough, unmaintained road that is slow going unless you have a ridiculous Icon suspension setup :) All I'm saying is that if you budget for lots of time you won't be disappointed when it is less. Many trips I have taken I've had to take extra time to rescue someone else who was unprepared for the environment, causing me to alter plans and change my planned route. This one is close to home, but I tend to plan more time than less.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

I do know yet but Ill find something, worse comes to worse Ill swing around the canyon thru Sundance to cascade springs to a few places I know of on the way to Tibble. My daughter has her favorite spot. We call it Pixie Hollow (yes from Tinker Bell), but is a little valley with several well spaced large trees about. I'm thinking about checking it out. grid cords 40.527683 -111.585147

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

On like Donkey Kong. Fridge is chilled in the house for transfer to the truck tomorrow afternoon. Then Im done and ready for the fun little drive and some camping.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

I don't drink beer just whiskey, but don't drink if I have to drive either, my uncle passed away drinking and driving. So if I drink even a little I wont drive till the next morning. So I could drink at camp, but I never do...

I will have 2 5gallon Water Jerry cans on the rear of my X and will toss a few extra water bottles in the fridge incase its needed. I'm not bringing extra fuel since its not going to be needed.

Reactions: 4x4_gump.619