Richmond, Va
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Nunya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB2JLG
Sorry for the duplicate post, but I think I posted this in the wrong place originally. Please forgive me, I'm still a newbie! ;)

So, I've been planning a trip out to Utah to do some overlanding through Moab and a few of the National Parks. Since I'm cutting through Colorado to get to Moab, I figured I'd spend the most possible time off road as I can and have been looking at taking the Kokopelli Trail from Colorado to Moab. I looked at the Dolores Triangle route, but there are several river fordings on that trail and with the unpredictability of weather, I'd hate to backtrack 2 days if the river is impassable. I hate to make a run like that solo, so, anyone up for a trail run? After Moab, I plan on hitting Shafer Canyon, then overlanding to Capitol Reef, then down to Escalante. If anyone is free the first two weeks of May and interested in going on any part of those runs, let me know!

JKHiredGun

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Richmond, Va
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Nunya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB2JLG
I'd join you for Capitol Reef and/or Escalante if they happen to fall on a weekend. Let me know.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
I will be in touch, and let you know the schedule!! That would be great! The plan I had was going in on BLM roads from I-70 camping overnight then catching Temple of the Sun at sunrise. I'd like to do Hartnet Rd and Cathedral Valley Loop, I've seen a few videos of people's trips and it looks amazing.

Reactions: DaveSLC

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Cathedral Valley is fantastic! The road is easy, the hardest part is the river crossing right at the beginning; once you get past that you will be good for the rest of the trip if it is dry. The road crosses through bentonite hills; bentonite is a volcanic ash layer that turns into bottomless slimy soup when wet and sets up like concrete when dry, do not attempt to cross it in the wet.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Cathedral Valley is fantastic! The road is easy, the hardest part is the river crossing right at the beginning; once you get past that you will be good for the rest of the trip if it is dry. The road crosses through bentonite hills; bentonite is a volcanic ash layer that turns into bottomless slimy soup when wet and sets up like concrete when dry, do not attempt to cross it in the wet.

JKHiredGun

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Richmond, Va
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Nunya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB2JLG
Yeah, I've heard the nightmarish stories of trying to drive on wet bentonite. Just means a second night of camping! I am trying to spend as much time off pavement as possible. I'm currently building an 06 Jeep Commander specifically for this trip. If this one goes well, I want do Death Valley next year. The main problem is that Utah is just too beautiful, I could probably keep going back and never get tired of it...

Preston Tiegs

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Provo Utah
Member #

We did Cathedral Valley over President's day! Fantastic views, and not another vehicle in sight!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using OB Talk mobile app

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
We'll be in Moab the first week of May, but plan on leaving town and doing the Moab to Mexican Hat route. This is basically all now in the newly named Bears Ears National Monument now, so we're doing it while it's hopefully still open to expedition travel by 4wd. Typically spur roads and more difficult trails can get closed when they become part of NPS, along with more signage and increased tourist traffic. Hoping to beat them to the punch.

But we did Cathedral Valley to Notom Bullfrog Rd., up the Waterpocket Fold switchbacks, Strike Valley overlook onto Burr Trail in 2015. That was a blast!

JKHiredGun

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Richmond, Va
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Nunya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB2JLG
That sounds like a great trip! Maybe we can make a meet up happen.

IanC83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Cambridge, NY
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Creitz
Member #

I am coming from New York and heading for overland expo west on the 12-14. I was planning on doing some day trips near Denver (where my brother lives) with him but could meet up with you perhaps for some trails to Moab. I'll have my dog but am new to overlanding so it would be nice to have other vehicles around for help if needed.

JKHiredGun

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Richmond, Va
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Nunya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB2JLG
I'll keep this updated for timing, it'd be great to meet up with some follow OB'ers! Waiting for leave to be approved to make the final plan.

Reactions: IanC83

JKHiredGun

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Richmond, Va
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Nunya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB2JLG
Just received my leave request...APPROVED!!! I'll be hitting the road from Richmond Va to Utah Apr 29 and don't have to be back to work until May 19. This is going to be epic. I'm STOKED!!

JKHiredGun

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Richmond, Va
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Nunya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB2JLG
Ok, finally getting all the trip prep finished up. The XK goes in Monday to get the bumpers and sides Line-Xed. All gear has been ordered and here or enroute. Since I'll be going a lot of this trip solo, any tips or suggestions? I've got tools and spares ready to go, dry ice set up for the cooler, every thing I can think of but I know there's something I'll forget.

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

Pre trip inspection. Have your mechanic look over the rig and ensure it is in tip top shape. Estimate your mileage and make sure you won't be due for service mid-trip. Bring a spare air filter and some extra oil, just in case.

Reactions: JKHiredGun

GoingCommando

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toledo, Lewis County, Washington, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Rue
Member #

Let me know how that XK performs for you. Just bought a 2006 5.7L of my own. Took it to an offroad park and fell in with a Jeep group from Indiana. They all thought it was so novel to see a Commander on the trail. And they were impressed how well I kept up, especially given I am still mostly stock. I definitely need more lift, though.

JKHiredGun

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Richmond, Va
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Nunya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB2JLG
David, I will definitely let you know. Mine is heavily modified from stock, so I can tell you what worked for me. Have you found jeepcommander.com ? I'm pretty active on there (different user name) but that will give literally TONS of great XK specific info. Pretty much every mod you can possibly think of has been done at least once and every problem has been solved. LOL!!

In Fruita CO now getting ready to do some final provisioning, and then starting out on the Kokopelli to Moab. Then we'll be moving all over SE Utah.

GoingCommando

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Toledo, Lewis County, Washington, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Rue
Member #

HiredGun. Thanks, I'm anxious to hear what all you've done. I'm currently looking for a rear bumper swing gate solution. Have been to a couple sites that offer solutions, but my local truck outfitter is telling me he can fab something up for me. Anxious to see what he comes up with. 1st week of June I'm getting a 4" lift with new tires and wheels. One of my chief concerns is fuel capacity. I'd like to install an auxiliary fuel tank, but not much space underneath. The other weekend I put a 6 gal water tank and 5 gal fuel tank on my roof rack and it bent my stock crossbar.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Denver6161

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver
Member #

Sorry for the duplicate post, but I think I posted this in the wrong place originally. Please forgive me, I'm still a newbie! ;)

So, I've been planning a trip out to Utah to do some overlanding through Moab and a few of the National Parks. Since I'm cutting through Colorado to get to Moab, I figured I'd spend the most possible time off road as I can and have been looking at taking the Kokopelli Trail from Colorado to Moab. I looked at the Dolores Triangle route, but there are several river fordings on that trail and with the unpredictability of weather, I'd hate to backtrack 2 days if the river is impassable. I hate to make a run like that solo, so, anyone up for a trail run? After Moab, I plan on hitting Shafer Canyon, then overlanding to Capitol Reef, then down to Escalante. If anyone is free the first two weeks of May and interested in going on any part of those runs, let me know!
Don't know if you're back on the grid yet but was wondering how the Kokopelli trail went for you and your rig. Looking to head out to Moab in a few weeks hoping to run the White Rim but I know there is a chance it could be flooded out. Always looking for alternatives.

Thanks,

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
HiredGun. Thanks, I'm anxious to hear what all you've done. I'm currently looking for a rear bumper swing gate solution. Have been to a couple sites that offer solutions, but my local truck outfitter is telling me he can fab something up for me. Anxious to see what he comes up with. 1st week of June I'm getting a 4" lift with new tires and wheels. One of my chief concerns is fuel capacity. I'd like to install an auxiliary fuel tank, but not much space underneath. The other weekend I put a 6 gal water tank and 5 gal fuel tank on my roof rack and it bent my stock crossbar.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
David, just chiming in but check out WAM Bumpers in GA. They're making good looking front and rear bumpers with lots pf options for the XK at a reasonable price. Wilco Offroad also make a nice product called the Hitchgate. In regards to extra fuel, once you get that spare out from under the truck, there's a ton of room between the two rear frame rails. I also saw this setup on a 4 Runner and and have thought about doing the same:

Also, those stock crossbars are weak. At very least look into getting a set of Thule or Yakima bars and feet.