Deland, FL
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Gore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4URN
I’ve lived in Florida my whole life within city limits and my girlfriend has lived in a small town. We have a hurricane coming our way soon. We were talking about how we tackle driving during the storms and routes to use rather than major roads. I know how to get around all major roads in the area to get the hell out of dodge if I need to. Am I the only one who has a SHTF plan for hurricanes and other weather related disasters using my rig as temporary shelter and travel?

Jeff B

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Putnam County, New York, USA
Member #

I would say not to drive during the storm as that is the most dangerous time, but to do it before hand. I am sure you have experienced more hurricanes than I have but I have seen the aftermath. I do know all of the roads around me and places to possibly go to. Having a plan is always the best way to be, but have a couple back up plans also.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I’ve lived in Florida my whole life within city limits and my girlfriend has lived in a small town. We have a hurricane coming our way soon. We were talking about how we tackle driving during the storms and routes to use rather than major roads. I know how to get around all major roads in the area to get the hell out of dodge if I need to. Am I the only one who has a SHTF plan for hurricanes and other weather related disasters using my rig as temporary shelter and travel?
You didn't say what kind of a rig you have for SHTF escapes. That would have a lot to do with what I would do.
Questions:
Do you have a snorkel on your rig.
Has your rig height been modified.
Do you have aggressive tires.
Do you have plenty of gas, water, food, clothing etc.
Do you have a winch and tow straps, tools etc.
Do you have a chain saw.
If you don't have all of these things, leave before it gets there or ride it out if you have a safe space like a school or Government buildings or concrete block structures. Right now it looks like it will be a tropical storm but you cant second guess mother nature. I'm sure I have only touched on the subject of evacuation and I hope others will be more helpful. Stay safe

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I used to live in Florida and moved after that year we had 3 hurricanes hit us, had enough. There was only 1 that we should have evacuated for but we got very lucky as that storm moved south right before it hit Florida. That hurricane was Andrew and if it hit us I may not be typing this right now. I think for any hurricane that is a 3 or lower I would just ride it out unless you live on the coast, then leave.

With Florida being how it is shaped, leaving that state is going to be a nightmare no matter what. There are only so many roads out and they will all be packed with cars. I always made sure I had lots of gas, a generator, lots of water, and food/dry goods. The freeze dried stuff is a good thing to have around just in case you lose the food in the fridge.

One thing a lot of people forget about with bugging out is the potential for a lot of debris to be on the roads. One spare tire may not be enough and definitely have a quality patch/plug kit. When it comes down to it the best preparation is your judgement and common sense. Put away the pride and make logical decisions for you and your family. Again, we made that mistake with Andrew and thank God the worse didn't happen.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

For us it’s usually Snow, Ice, flooding , or Fire. I’m oncall for a City and unless the State Patrol stops me from driving the 19.9 miles I’m required to be there in an emergency. This makes for some sketchy late night drives. This past winter I was going over Cape Horn at 3am and the drifts were hood high. Halfway there the goal went from getting there, to getting close enough to walk if I got stuck. It took 90 minutes to make it the 20 miles only to find out SR14 was closed and I was stranded at work for 6 hours until they plowed things out. The Gorge I live in is virtually one way in one way out so more often than not we are cut off and stuck sheltering in place. If that’s not possible we have plans for different situations, the river for wildfires, high ground for floods, and so on. My wife knows the locations, knows the route to get there, and when to go if I’m not home. She also has a pretty capable rig and living here her whole life is pretty used to getting around on bad roads while others are finding the ditch.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
For us it’s usually Snow, Ice, flooding , or Fire. I’m oncall for a City and unless the State Patrol stops me from driving the 19.9 miles I’m required to be there in an emergency. This makes for some sketchy late night drives. This past winter I was going over Cape Horn at 3am and the drifts were hood high. Halfway there the goal went from getting there, to getting close enough to walk if I got stuck. It took 90 minutes to make it the 20 miles only to find out SR14 was closed and I was stranded at work for 6 hours until they plowed things out. The Gorge I live in is virtually one way in one way out so more often than not we are cut off and stuck sheltering in place. If that’s not possible we have plans for different situations, the river for wildfires, high ground for floods, and so on. My wife knows the locations, knows the route to get there, and when to go if I’m not home. She also has a pretty capable rig and living here her whole life is pretty used to getting around on bad roads while others are finding the ditch.
Your story bring back some fond memories of my childhood. We lived pretty remotely in a gorge location with only one way in. There were only 3 people who lived there year round. I remember a time we got snowed in with 6 foot drifts and 30" of snow on the ground. After a month we ran short on food so me and my step father drove out of the 3 miles of dirt road to the highway in that 30" snow covered road no one was crazy enough to drive on. (new cars couldnt do it anyway) What allowed us to get out other than shoveling snow for the three miles was mom's trusty 31 Model A Ford coupe. It had tall thin tires and spoked wheels that didn't get snow build up and the car was high so most of the snow was under us as we inched our way out to the highway. It took about 3 hours to drive push and shovel out way out. We made it home a lot easier because we had a path. The funny thing was that when the car wouldn't go forward we would drive backwards when we could find an area to turn around. That old model A was like a buzz saw in reverse and grind it's way up the hills foot by foot. I wouldn't take anything for the memory of those days of poverty, hardship and family welfare.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Your story bring back some fond memories of my childhood. We lived pretty remotely in a gorge location with only one way in. There were only 3 people who lived there year round. I remember a time we got snowed in with 6 foot drifts and 30" of snow on the ground. After a month we ran short on food so me and my step father drove out of the 3 miles of dirt road to the highway in that 30" snow covered road no one was crazy enough to drive on. (new cars couldnt do it anyway) What allowed us to get out other than shoveling snow for the three miles was mom's trusty 31 Model A Ford coupe. It had tall thin tires and spoked wheels that didn't get snow build up and the car was high so most of the snow was under us as we inched our way out to the highway. It took about 3 hours to drive push and shovel out way out. We made it home a lot easier because we had a path. The funny thing was that when the car wouldn't go forward we would drive backwards when we could find an area to turn around. That old model A was like a buzz saw in reverse and grind it's way up the hills foot by foot. I wouldn't take anything for the memory of those days of poverty, hardship and family welfare.
Wow, that is a great story. I can’t image. These days 3 inches of snow grinds things to a halt. I’m also laughing that that model A in reverse becomes a front wheel drive with pizza cutters once turned it around. No surprise it cut through the snow.

Noble Savage

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Deland, FL
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Gore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4URN
You didn't say what kind of a rig you have for SHTF escapes. That would have a lot to do with what I would do.
Questions:
Do you have a snorkel on your rig.
Has your rig height been modified.
Do you have aggressive tires.
Do you have plenty of gas, water, food, clothing etc.
Do you have a winch and tow straps, tools etc.
Do you have a chain saw.
If you don't have all of these things, leave before it gets there or ride it out if you have a safe space like a school or Government buildings or concrete block structures. Right now it looks like it will be a tropical storm but you cant second guess mother nature. I'm sure I have only touched on the subject of evacuation and I hope others will be more helpful. Stay safe
Some background: I have lived through all hurricanes that have passed through Florida over the last 24 years. I was just a kid but I remember riding out all the 2004 hurricanes at home cause of where we were located inland. Since then I have moved a town over in a house that is now all block. Our safe spot is a 10 acre piece of land with a house, barns, and shelter with generators, easy access to well water, near fresh water streams that feed into the St Johns river and plenty of wild hogs. The area on that land where the structures are located is cleared of any trees that could fall near them but is surrounded by all sides of trees to protect the structures from wind. My girlfriend drives either her little VW Passat, her father's Ford Ranger 4x4 or his F350 dually 4x4. We have plenty of options.

I have a 2015 Tacoma 4x4 stock. I have used 2wd suvs in the past during storms with a lower clearance so I know how to deal with the conditions well..

For where I am at I don't need to have a snorkel cause of how high the land is compared to the coast. Flood waters only go up to road levels.

I have all terrain tiers on my rig now that came from the dealer but I am looking to switch them out soon.

I have plenty of supplies on hand to last at least a few months and if need be on food I can either catch some fish near where our safe spot. It does help that I buy gas every few weeks for the four wheelers so I have plenty of cans full.

Both my truck and my girlfriend's fathers trucks have tow straps and he has a wench. If need be we have plenty of was to rescue our vehicles.

As for evacuation routes we know that 95 will be a mess but as close to 17 which goes north, 44 and 40 that can take us up 75. We know the round about ways to get north with less traffic that will be safe.

As of 7 this morning, it will be a Cat 2 at landfall and they are projecting to hit on Sunday around 2 in Bervard County.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I chase your hurricanes, and turn your power back on.

A stock Ford F350 Fx4 with a utility box and MT's works fine. Truck Claws, chainsaw, cooler, and a 55g drum of fuel in the back are handy. Be prepared for extended idle. Make sure that your coolant system is in perfect shape. Avoid shady looking southern gas stations.

Hurricanes are cake. Snow storms, extreme cold, and midwest tornados are worse.

Last edited:

Noble Savage

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Deland, FL
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Gore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4URN
I chase your hurricanes, and turn your power back on.

A stock Ford F350 Fx4 with a utility box and MT's works fine. Truck Claws, chainsaw, cooler, and a 55g drum of fuel in the back are handy.

Thank you for helping with the power. It does suck not having power for 2 weeks. Florida get lucky compared to other states.

Reactions: MidOH

Noble Savage

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Deland, FL
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Gore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4URN
You get the worst of it. I couldn't image driving in snow and ice, white rain is bad enough. I am in the same boat as you being on call. I work for a county government and my whole facility is on call. Snow seems like one giant headache when it closes down roads.

Reactions: Ghost

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

You get the worst of it. I couldn't image driving in snow and ice, white rain is bad enough. I am in the same boat as you being on call. I work for a county government and my whole facility is on call. Snow seems like one giant headache when it closes down roads.

Hands down I’ll take 2 feet of snow in a day over 2 inches of ice. One is pretty to look at fun to drive in while the other rips everything to the ground and makes it impossible to even get into your vehicle.

On a brighter note this was 2 years ago and the winter my wife decided to sell her outback and get a 4runner. Definitely not the worst storm we’ve had but still pretty impressive. The Subaru will go in the snow but once the snow and ice piles up and re freezes you need more clearance or it just rips your car apart.

EF5F2F4B-7099-4B08-A17C-F0D81E38B70D.jpeg

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I'd say hurricanes are cake as they travel up over land and dissipate, but on water and close to shore they are brutal with the water surge. I was diving in the Gulf when Andrew hit in '93 and it totally wrecked offshore oil platforms. Some of the smaller wellheads in 40-60 feet of water were bent down into the mud. These are 36" casings about 2" wall thickness with smaller casings cemented inside...the storm surge bend that like a soda straw. The south coast is very wet so the big oaks grow very shallow root balls since they dont have to have huge tap roots to find water. The high winds topple these trees over all the time and thats 90% of the power outtages. I've been thru a bunch of hurricanes and left for two of them and I would say it was more dangerous leaving. Traffic halts for hours at a time and it is total chaos. People are panicking and going nuts and with bumper to bumper traffic stalled out, you can get trapped easily. I always ride out the storms after that and stay put, even after the worse has passed. After the storm is bad because people that weren't prepared are now out driving over down power lines and acting stupid because they are out of power and supplies and nothing is open. I get the whole SHTF movement and "bugging out" and all that mess, but I logically can't see very many cases where being out mobile is better than being hunkered down at home in a familiar environment with tools and supplies in my back shop. I also have a metal fab shop engineered to 165 mph wind rating...I'll go hang in there if a really big one hits. Even without the high wind rated shop, I'd still stay because most of time there is little damage to anything other than downed trees, so if you leave, youre house might be fine, but you can't return to it for a while, but if you stayed, you fire up the genny and go on about business.
We had one hit in 2011 that left me with out power for nearly 2 weeks. I have plenty of food and water and run a small generator when needs be and it wasn't that bad. There was zero damage to the house, just downed lines all over so leaving would have put me at a lot of risk and inconvenience for no reason. I have a tear-drop camper with solar and stuff for off-grid camping...I would much rather have it here at home and use it after the storm for cooking, etc

Last edited:

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
In Northern Colorado, there were a group of us through NAXJA that were Red Cross Certified and carried liability insurance that volunteered during emergency events. Commonly we would provide transportation during severe snow storms for the doctors and nurses to get to and from the hospital and provided support for EMT access as well as search and rescue.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
The hurricanes are cake comments are very subjective. Depends entirely on the strength of the hurricane. Just saying, a Cat 5 hurricane is not cake, it's deadly

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
The hurricanes are cake comments are very subjective. Depends entirely on the strength of the hurricane. Just saying, a Cat 5 hurricane is not cake, it's deadly

Cat 5? That must be pics of Andrew? That one was a "cake" alright...a cake made out of C-4! All the building codes along the Gulf were changed because of that storm...insane damage. OK, one like that I would probably "bug out".

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Cat 5?

I just wave as they pass by. Worst part is the traffic afterwards. Lucky for me, I'm heading towards the storm when people are leaving, and away when they return. So if my luck is good, I have my side of the hwy to myself. The heat, and plain olde douchy customers are tied for 2nd. A fear of hurricanes makes as much sense to me as a fear of being eaten by a Galapagos Turtle.

Tornados come at night, completely by surprise. Those are scary.

[Run lady! You only have a whole week to escape before it bites you!:]

Last edited:

Noble Savage

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Deland, FL
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Gore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4URN

I agree a hurricane is not a piece of cake but it also depends on where you are at and how well your shelter is protected. The images you are showing are from mobile homes. Most homes I've seen in Florida are either full block or block frame with wood now. The only shelters that are not well protected are apartments what are made of wood on the 2nd floor up and mobile homes. The older block homes are the best to stay in. First priory in preparing for a hurricane is where a person seeks shelter.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
We have wind storms with speeds well above 100mph regularly in Northern Colorado. We build for the wind. The problem is the idiot that does not secure his crap or keep his trees under control and they end up hitting your house.