Rank II

Enthusiast I

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Gaines
Member #

Sounds like a SOLID trip. I was just up towards this way on a Labor Day weekend trip to Manchester, off Highway 1. It’s in my calendar, and I’m looking forward to the caravan!

ctcv1984

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Rocklin, CA.
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Williams
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6YMR
Some followup for those making this trip: A GMRS radio will be needed as we will be on channel 15 for comm's. A Handheld should be all we'll need. There is (or at least there used to be) a pit toilet near where we will be camping but personal "relief purposes" should be brought. It could also be closed for maintenance. There also used to be a fee to access the beach area but I've not seen it but bring access money just in case it's been re-activated ($10 according to their website). It would be a good idea to go to "Sinkyone Wilderness State Park" to bring yourself up to speed on the do's and don'ts for camping at USAL Beach. I would like to have wheels rolling at 9am, Friday since it's about 2 1/2 hours to the trail head. Again, any questions can be directed to me, Pete Williams at 916-759-6964 or here. Thanks, everyone. I'm looking forward to being back at USAL, it's been too long. Pete.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

HA! @Dseck63 and myself were planning on usal that same weekend, we might have an audible and head elsewhere but I will keep you posted

Jane and Sergio

Rank V

Influencer II

Castro Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Sergio
Last Name
Morariu
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6KOP
Service Branch
Navy
One more thing - any rock crawling involved? Just asking if I need to remove my steps or leave them on.

ctcv1984

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Rocklin, CA.
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Williams
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6YMR
@Pete Do you have the track for this trip and can you email the .gpx?
Thanks.
I don't have a track and I have no idea what a gpx is. There are no rocks of any significance on this trail, although it's rutted and if it hasn't rained in a while, very dusty. We passed a Prius (!) on this trail in 2019 sooooo.....

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
On the OB1 app Usal is off of the Lost Coast Trail.
Here is a GPX from hwy. 1 to Usal. There are many other backroads through the forest but this is the direct route.

Attachments

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
The GPX file above has been added to the Rally Point

ctcv1984

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Rocklin, CA.
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Williams
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6YMR
Update for those making this trip: Early forecast calls for partly cloudy conditions all three days with a very low chance of rain. If possible, can everyone bring one bundle of firewood for, you guessed it, a nice evening fire on the beach. Also, some kindling would be helpful. Thanks, everyone. See you Friday morning.

RubesF150

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Ruben
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Reactions: Silverback_Overland

RubesF150

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Ruben
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Update for those making this trip: Early forecast calls for partly cloudy conditions all three days with a very low chance of rain. If possible, can everyone bring one bundle of firewood for, you guessed it, a nice evening fire on the beach. Also, some kindling would be helpful. Thanks, everyone. See you Friday morning.
Ok got a box of wood. See you tomorrow 9:00 at Williams.

Reactions: Silverback_Overland

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Have a great trip everyone, looks like the weather will be great.