Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
So I am one of those guys thats always worried about my gear being accessable to anyone thats around my rig. Sticky fingers, and keeping the honest man honest and all. But also keeping a potentially deadly weapon away from someone who means to do harm. Also keeping my gear out of the weather is a big bonus too. Now Ill admit this was not my idea from the start. A second gen raptor owner who also is into overlanding(mr. xplr) is the original concept artist. I just seen what it did for his setup, he uses it for his recovery gear, and compressor storage. I thought to myself i could mount my shovel and axe in a container like that and it would solve alot of my issues. So I purchased the plano 52 inch gun case. It is lockable, watertight, dustproof, and has a pressure release valve. After a quick mock up, I drilled my holes, and mounted my case to my bed rack. I made sure to thread the holes to the bolts i was using to secure to the rack so i maintained the seal and a dab of epoxy to be sure. The foam on the inside has 3 layers. A small sheet, a thicker sheet thats pluckable, and then a top sheet. I ended up cutting all 3 to get my shovel to fit inside, but its a decent fit. Now its only accessable to me, and it keeps my equipment out of the weather for a longer service life.

Attachments

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Sweet! Do you find any issue looking for side traffic? Like when wanting to change lanes.

I just looked at the Plano website, the 52" AW2 case is sold out at $209, the 52" Rustrictor AW2 at $249 is available and if the same mold gives dimensions. Then I checked to see what Nanuk has to offer Their 995 case is slightly larger and no foam for $275.95 (CDN?) I like both manufacturers products and use both. The Pelican V800 is weather resistant at $229.95, while the 1770 Protector Long Case is the largest and watertight, but unavailable so no price listed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaytperry89

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Sweet! Do you find any issue looking for side traffic? Like when wanting to change lanes.

I just looked at the Plano website, the 52" AW2 case is sold out at $209, the 52" Rustrictor AW2 at $249 is available and if the same mold gives dimensions. Then I checked to see what Nanuk has to offer Their 995 case is slightly larger and no foam for $275.95 (CDN?) I like both manufacturers products and use both. The Pelican V800 is weather resistant at $229.95, while the 1770 Protector Long Case is the largest and watertight, but unavailable so no price listed.

I just used amazon, and i believe i spent 124 dollars for the case. And no i havent had any issues with finding side traffic, its mounted on the passenger side down the center of the rack itself. So i can see under and over the rack.

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I’d replace the foam with two boards with indentions cut in them to hold the tools. Then drill a drain hole in the lower corner
Only issue I have with the hole being drilled is it takes away from the sealed portion of it. It would allow the dust and water to get in. But if you dont mind that, just take off the pressure release valve, and mount it so that the case opens up, not down. I dont know how long the foam will last down the road, but if it starts to fail ill look into another way to secure them inside the case.

Dorobuta

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Chandler, AZ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lovern
Only issue I have with the hole being drilled is it takes away from the sealed portion of it. It would allow the dust and water to get in. But if you dont mind that, just take off the pressure release valve, and mount it so that the case opens up, not down. I dont know how long the foam will last down the road, but if it starts to fail ill look into another way to secure them inside the case.
you could mount velcro straps inside the case, or even metal brackets. get the heavy-duty velcro straps and use a bolt and washer thru the bottom of the box to secure the strap. The bolt and washers will seal the holes from any dust or water (you can put rtv or something around the opening if you want)

Reactions: Jaytperry89

samba

Rank V
Investor

Member I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Swamy
Last Name
Bachu
Member #

Nice idea and execution.
Are you worried about sideswiping trees/branches on the trail, if that is possible in the area you travel.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
Hope to look at a case tomorrow at harbor freight. Laid it out on the garage floor and I should fit my shovel, axe and spitting mall.