Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
UPDATE: I have disabled a few plugins and changed some of the available features in the forums to improve performance and reliability. Let me know if you encounter major issues. One obvious one is the media feature upload. I will be improving the features of the site soon!

M

Hey everyone, we are getting new forums soon!

Lot's of technical issues with this ine and I think we have just outgrown the software. Right now we are looking at Vanilla, which has a lot of the features you guys have been asking for. Thank you for your patience!

Michael

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Thanks Michael,

I'm not familiar with Vanilla, but I just looked at their "Showcase" page. It looks a lot like some of the other forums I am admin or moderator on. Make sure you can transfer your bbPress database over to Vanilla, and that it has the plugins that you think you'll want. Hopefully that includes full functionality with mobile devices, as I'll be posting via iPad from the road. Just recently this software stopped working for the "Forums --> Views" pull-down on my iPad.

My favorite as a moderator is still vBulletin, although it hasn't been free for a long time. I run a phpBB for our local British car club, and it works out OK. I wish I knew more of the technical side so I could implement some of the nicer features, but it is little used anyway. Most people on my forum are older and prefer the old mailing list...

Yikes, I just looked a little further and see that Vanilla isn't free, either. That must include hosting as well as software. I never looked at hosted prices for phpBB, as I use my own hosting service's space.

Thanks,
Steve

E

expeditionnorth

proboards is very nice as well & its free to some respect

iamout

Rank III
Founder 500

Advocate II

OB Site is getting a face lift!  really like the user friendly about this software. but the community has grown , so we need changes.  Thanks Michael!  make sure it has lots of emojy's   ;-O

Frisly

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Michael,

No offense meant to Expedition North, but I'm not a fan of ProBoards. It isn't as user friendly as some forum software, and doesn't offer a method to find a list of new posts or any way to get to that new post within a thread easily.

Steve

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey @steve, I want to be careful and do this right. The trouble I am having is that I haven't found a forum that has a good converter solution from bbPress 2.X , which is what this site runs on. Still looking for solutions! Vanilla has many of the features I want. Looking deeper into vBulletin.

M

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

<p>Outstanding.  I'm in for the long haul.</p>