Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

Question about this Jetboil Genesis, if anyone cook on wind since it doesn't have a good wind protection

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
It has worked well for me in decent winds. Not really any different than any other camping stove.

I have had mine for a few years now and have had ZERO problems with anything.

DO NOT use the lid when cooking dryish items tho. I melted mine when I used the big pot to warm up foil wrapped breakfast burritos on the last day of camp (fire had been extinguished). Jetboil sent me a replacement for free and noted that it cannot be used "dry".

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

So you are used open wind but not like on Hurricane type wind I understand that Thanks

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I love mine. Bought a cheap folding wind guard from Amazon for like $10. I think I’ve used it once. Generally wind is not a problem. Don’t use the plastic one, though. It’s hard to attach.

Reactions: velo47

Kip2

Rank II

Contributor II

Lake Mary, FL, USA
First Name
Kip
Last Name
Spiegle
Member #

Used to work in the Outdoor Industry as a Buyer for a small chain. Got 2 Genesis Stoves and a Luna for free. Been using them hard cooking for up to 20 people in our YMCA Adventure Guides group since before they were available to the general public.

The good:
They are compact. Stowed in the 5L pot- they rock.
They have amazing temperature control. 8 full turns from off to full blast.
They can be linked to run off one regulator. I run 2 Genesis and a Luna off a single port on my 20Lb Bulk tank or Flame King Refillable 1lb bottles.

The bad:
The regulators suck. I have blown out 4 of them. I switched over to the Stansport hosed regulator and have not had a problem since.
The windscreen is a joke. They make the little piece of foil that comes with an MSR backcountry stove look good. Replaced first with a folding windscreen and am now building a sorage box for my 2 Eureka cook tables that will come apart to be the windscreen area for the stoves. Will post pics of that when I am done.

If you want the flame control and linking capability of the Genesis in a traditional briefcase style stove for a lot less $$- buy a Eureka Spire LX. Same valves and burners as the Genesis.
Can you provide an information on the Stansport hosed regulator you adapted to work with the Genisis?

Reactions: Tundracamper

cug

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
I have the Stansport hose regulator and have used that a few times. Works great. I also have a Stansport metal regulator which I carry as a spare item in case something goes wrong since the stove is used in Europe and spare parts are hard to get. I always carry a bunch of adaptors to be able to use standard canisters (the small ones, not the propane ones) and also use propane bottles with the smaller stoves – again, just to make sure we have options for cooking.

Long term I'm going away from propane though since in Europe the refill situation is a frigging joke. Every country has their own proprietary system. No, thanks. Will likely switch to white gas or so. If the stove is still working then, I'll bring it back to the US where I have everything set up to use refillable bottles.