Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Just picked up the Genesis Basecamp Stove by JetBoil. Haven't used it yet, but have heard good things.

Thought I'd share some photos in case others are considering. I got just the stove and picked up the optional frying pan. Note, for those interested, they do sell a "system" which includes the frying pan, a huge pot and a strainer as well. But I got a really good deal on just the unit itself (30% off a brand new unit) so I jumped on it.

Also note that their regulators have had issues in the past, but it comes from when you flip the regulator upside down while trying to attach a propane bottle. There is a safety mechanism that kicks in and stops the flow of propane inside the regulator if it is flipped or falls off a table.

Anyway, here are some photos. Feel free to ask questions about the unit itself if you like, just know that I haven't used it yet and I'm sure there are other folks here on the forums who have that can chime in on questions about using it.

Genesis-Basecamp-in-box.jpg
New in the box, with additional frying pan that nests inside the case on top of the unit.

Genesis-Basecamp-in-cover.jpg
The carrying case. The entire unit fits in this small case. This would include the large pot and strainer if you opted for those accessories. They all nest together.

Genesis-Basecamp-storage.jpg
Unzipping the bag reveals the unit which folds over onto itself.

Genesis-Basecamp-open.jpg
Once out of the bag it simply unfolds to reveal two burners. 10,000BTU

Genesis-Basecamp-10-inch-frying-pan.jpg
The 10" frying pan has handles that swing out for use, and back in for storing

Genesis-Basecamp-spark.jpg
One of the two burners showing the spark source for the igniters. No need for matches or lighters.

Genesis-Basecamp-igniter.jpg
A closer look at the igniter lever which allows you to generate a spark. It is a simple flick lever. Each burner has it's own.

Genesis-Basecamp-Windscreen.jpg
The Genesis Basecamp comes with a wind deflector which honestly seems kind of sketch, but we'll see when I use it. No contempt prior to investigation.

So that's it. Hope you liked the photos. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try and remember to come back to this thread to update after we've used it.

Eric AKA Jeepsies

Last edited:

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Thanks! I'd like the photos a little more if they were larger. :smile: I didn't know that about the regulator. Good info.
Photos are hard. Haha. I have the full size photos though. Let me know if there is one specifically you want to see and I'll get it posted for you.

Eric AKA Jeepsies

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I had not seen the windscreen before. Does it just roll up and line the carrying case when stored?
Yeah, it fits inside the case and basically goes around the unit on the outside between the case and the unit. It doesn't exactly roll up, but it has a spot in the case. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Truckee

GrnRubi

Rank 0

Traveler I

Montana
For the cost I would think they could come up with a better windscreen...The reviews on Amazon arent all that great, seems like a decent amount of complaints pertaining to QC.

Im interested to see how well it works

Michael Grookett

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

New Jersey
Member #

Just picked up the Genesis Basecamp Stove by JetBoil. Haven't used it yet, but have heard good things.

Thought I'd share some photos in case others are considering. I got just the stove and picked up the optional frying pan. Note, for those interested, they do sell a "system" which includes the frying pan, a huge pot and a strainer as well. But I got a really good deal on just the unit itself (30% off a brand new unit) so I jumped on it.

Also note that their regulators have had issues in the past, but it comes from when you flip the regulator upside down while trying to attach a propane bottle. There is a safety mechanism that kicks in and stops the flow of propane inside the regulator if it is flipped or falls off a table.

Anyway, here are some photos. Feel free to ask questions about the unit itself if you like, just know that I haven't used it yet and I'm sure there are other folks here on the forums who have that can chime in on questions about using it.

View attachment 65990
New in the box, with additional frying pan that nests inside the case on top of the unit.

View attachment 65991
The carrying case. The entire unit fits in this small case. This would include the large pot and strainer if you opted for those accessories. They all nest together.

View attachment 65992
Unzipping the bag reveals the unit which folds over onto itself.

View attachment 65993
Once out of the bag it simply unfolds to reveal two burners. 10,000BTU

View attachment 65994
The 10" frying pan has handles that swing out for use, and back in for storing

View attachment 65995
One of the two burners showing the spark source for the igniters. No need for matches or lighters.

View attachment 65996
A closer look at the igniter lever which allows you to generate a spark. It is a simple flick lever. Each burner has it's own.

View attachment 65997
The Genesis Basecamp comes with a wind deflector which honestly seems kind of sketch, but we'll see when I use it. No contempt prior to investigation.

So that's it. Hope you liked the photos. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll try and remember to come back to this thread to update after we've used it.

Eric AKA Jeepsies
Have one also, Dead on the 2nd use, but Jetboil sent me a new regulator and so far all is well. The matching pot and fry pan scratch to easily and that was just from looking over the contents in the store. The wind screen seems useless as I ended up getting a folding one from Amazon that at least stays in place. I do use a 5lb propane with the stove and it has been good since the new regulator. If you are a fan of cast iron 2 12 inch pans can be used at the same time with no issues other than transporting 2 heavy pans.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I've owned a Jetboil Genesis system for quite awhile now. @Jeepsies and I chatted about it initially, so I hope you have just as good of an experience as I have!:grinning:

I've had no issues at all with mine. I really like it. My primary reason for buying it as I liked the way it was designed-dual burner, folds, and it fits inside my ARB drawers, taking up very little space. I also bought it based on how much regulation is built into the burner control. It's better than any camp stove I've ever owned.

The pot and fry pan do scratch a bit easily, but if you use rubberized/plastic utensils it won't be an issue. I've never used the windscreen, even though I've cooked on it in some decent wind-burners stayed lit.

It's definitely not an inexpensive stove, but I appreciate the design, burner control, and minimal space it uses. It's also a fairly lightweight system compared to other dual burner stoves-especially when you factor in the pot and pan.

tenebs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Margy
Last Name
Green
Member #

So I WAS a very proud owner of the Genesis Basecamp system and I loved it. BUT Then the failures started. They use proprietary connectors so no field replacement. Now owned by Johnson Controls if you call and tell them you just need a particular oart they refuse to sell it to you. They insist you send it back for engineering evaluation and then they will repair for a fee. I've had multiple failures on different parts that I could replace if I could get parts. I had enough and bought a Partner Steel cook partner stove and a magma nesting pot set. I wish I would have gone that route from the very beginning. No regrets with my new setup.

Temudjin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cashmere QLD 4500 Australia
Member #

I have owned the JetBoil Genesis for about 6 months now and it has had lots of use with no problems to date. It is an expensive 2 burner stove so why pay the premium?? For me it is the level of heat control the Genesis gives you. From off to full on requires 4 full rotations of the knob. While this may seem like a lot of turns it does give you very fine temperature control which is perfect for simmering - great for soups and stews or casseroles. I use the 1lb Coleman disposable bottles for weekend trips and then refill them from a 20lb bulk tank at home. For longer trips I take a 10lb refillable tank.

Reactions: sabjku

Temudjin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cashmere QLD 4500 Australia
Member #

I also own a JetBoil Genesis and find the stove is very good at temperature control which is great when you want to do something other than just boil water. It packs down to a pretty compact package and travels well and I also run mine off a 4.5 kg (10lbs) propane tank.

I have heard the story about the regulator "turning" itself off and stopping gas flow if dropped but I don't know if that's legit. It seems sketchy to me as the regulator doesn't re-set when re-levelled which seems odd - once it's stuffed, it's royally stuffed!

I have had the regulator fail and Johnson Controls were about as much help as a meat axe in the back of the neck - for that reason I would not buy this stove again. I was able to cobble together a fix with a regulator I bought on Amazon that is designed for another purpose but seems to do the job.

Given the price of the stove, the sketchy QC and useless after sales service are absolutely unacceptable.

Reactions: RoarinRow

obchristo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Christo
Last Name
Kuzmich
Used to work in the Outdoor Industry as a Buyer for a small chain. Got 2 Genesis Stoves and a Luna for free. Been using them hard cooking for up to 20 people in our YMCA Adventure Guides group since before they were available to the general public.

The good:
They are compact. Stowed in the 5L pot- they rock.
They have amazing temperature control. 8 full turns from off to full blast.
They can be linked to run off one regulator. I run 2 Genesis and a Luna off a single port on my 20Lb Bulk tank or Flame King Refillable 1lb bottles.

The bad:
The regulators suck. I have blown out 4 of them. I switched over to the Stansport hosed regulator and have not had a problem since.
The windscreen is a joke. They make the little piece of foil that comes with an MSR backcountry stove look good. Replaced first with a folding windscreen and am now building a sorage box for my 2 Eureka cook tables that will come apart to be the windscreen area for the stoves. Will post pics of that when I am done.

If you want the flame control and linking capability of the Genesis in a traditional briefcase style stove for a lot less $$- buy a Eureka Spire LX. Same valves and burners as the Genesis.

CG87

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Pahrump, NV, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Glasgow
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
None
Yep, my basecamp regulator started leaking propane as well. Had it for 6 months, used maybe a dozen times. But, since I bought it at rei, they have a 1 year return window, I'm sending this system back. I can't trust it anymore. I would recommend staying away from this stove system. I'm looking at the Oris skottle system for the same price.