Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Hey guys posting my route and what I have in mind in hopes that others can provide more areas to see or recommendations!

Trip Start: 1 July 18'
Trip Finish: 30 July 18'
Vehicle: 2017 Jeep Wrangler (pictured)
Passengers: 3 total (more than open to other rigs joining!)

Maps and gameplan link (Nordkapp returning to UK we will be following the TET as closely as possible, where possible.)

Last edited:

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
Hej ttephotos
I've done a similar trip in 2016 with my Land Rover which we did it over 18 days travelling approx 7200km. I've taken a quick look at your travel plans and do have a few suggestions. Up at Nordkapp you plan to drive over to Havöjsund (written wrong because I'm using a Swedish keyboard), I would delete that section and invest that travel time to visiting Tromsö instead. You will be kicking yourself in the rear side afterwards if you miss Tromsö.

At Saltstraumen you plan to continue inland on the main highway, I turned south on Fv17 and followed the coast down to Glomfjord, an excellent route which you can see and visit the black ice fields.

Over at the Atlantic ocean highway, take highway 70 over to 64 to enjoy the entire coastline, many of the pictures that you see on the internet are taken from this direction. Do it as a loop instead of turning around and heading back on the same road.

Enjoy your trip and take many pictures.

Todd.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Same sort of trip as the one we're planning - here. Maybe some of the comments and ideas are similar and apply to both of us.

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Added Tromsö and Brievikeidet to the list, should have time to still hit "Havöjsund".

I would love to take the Fv17 all the way up north from either Mæla or even Namdalseid but that would mean TONS of ferry rides and I dont know the cost or time issues that come with them! If you can shed light on this I would very much rather drive the small coastal road all the way up the west and allocate an extra day or two or something to do it.

Adjusted to take the 64 loop, I think this was an issue with the map bugging out on me as I remember originally planning on doing that!

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Same sort of trip as the one we're planning - here. Maybe some of the comments and ideas are similar and apply to both of us.
Looking through it now, give my gameplan a look over! TONS your missing hike wise in the SW some incredible roads and actual dirt spots if the map is still accurateish

Alos I see a lot of campsites marked, as a heads up Norway is wild camping legal so unless your going for amenities or to see the specific campsite you wont need em.

also one stop not on my map but that I will likle try to make is Rubjerg Knude in Denmark

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Looking through it now, give my gameplan a look over! TONS your missing hike wise in the SW some incredible roads and actual dirt spots if the map is still accurateish

Alos I see a lot of campsites marked, as a heads up Norway is wild camping legal so unless your going for amenities or to see the specific campsite you wont need em.

also one stop not on my map but that I will likle try to make is Rubjerg Knude in Denmark
Yes, we've had to make a conscious decision to miss out the SW, just so we can spend time on the coast (more tweaking to do to the route to include Lofote & Tromso. We're trying to keep the daily distances down, but still do it in 4 weeks.
SW Norway and the coast again will probably be another trip. But for this one, the target is Nordkapp and as much else as we can fit in.
Camping purely for amenities etc... we're also making use of some cabins on some of the sites.

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Yes, we've had to make a conscious decision to miss out the SW, just so we can spend time on the coast (more tweaking to do to the route to include Lofote & Tromso. We're trying to keep the daily distances down, but still do it in 4 weeks.
SW Norway and the coast again will probably be another trip. But for this one, the target is Nordkapp and as much else as we can fit in.
Camping purely for amenities etc... we're also making use of some cabins on some of the sites.
Understandable, I am allowing more miles to be covered as we will have multiple drivers to cut down the time wasted getting up to norway and back kinda deal but its still a PRETTTTY HARD press, will let you know how it goes, original plan was to come down the Finland and hit Chernobyl and then the Alps but I would need like 3 months for that!

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
I would love to take the Fv17 all the way up north from either Mæla or even Namdalseid but that would mean TONS of ferry rides and I dont know the cost or time issues that come with them! If you can shed light on this I would very much rather drive the small coastal road all the way up the west and allocate an extra day or two or something to do it.

Adjusted to take the 64 loop, I think this was an issue with the map bugging out on me as I remember originally planning on doing that!
We were traveling south, til Maela therefore I say Yes do as you suggested above. The few ferries north of Maela are not too expensive, something like 2~400 Nok per vehicle. Following Fv17 south of Maela is known as the tourist route, lots of ferries and way too many motorhomes on the road. The biggest problem that we encountered with the ferries is when you were getting off them, it seemed that everyone behind you is in a bigger rush than you and are always pushing you to speed. We were so fed up with the idiots that after each ferry departure we parked and waited till everyone was off then we carried on.

One app that I will suggest for traveling in Norway is NorCamp, excellent for finding camps if the misus wants to have a shower and do laundry. Also look at Norgekart for topo maps.

Todd.

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
I see on one of your maps that you will skirting around Jotunheimen National Park, did you know the highest road in Norway is there which is over 1840 meters. Google it. :wink:

You weren't visiting Geiranger which is a popular tourist area with some nice hiking trails, but south of Geiranger is the old highway to Geiranger, route 258, you are skipping it by taking the main highway. I suggest taking 258, it's a toll road but the views are worth every cent.

Further south I see that you will be going through Lærdalstunnelen. Excellent experience but did you know that the road that goes over that mountain range Fv243 is a seasonal road and if your there early enough there will still be several meters of snow on each side of the road. Somehow I'd delete in one spot and do a loop there enjoying both roads.

My suggestions, anyways enjoy your trip.

Todd.

Reactions: nickburt

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

We have three vehicles and, although others in the group can drive, the driving will be mostly done by three of us. Plus, we don't want it turn into a 4 week road trip that is nothing but roads, we want to have a few hours per day for sight seeing and stopping to take in the scenery etc...

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
We have three vehicles and, although others in the group can drive, the driving will be mostly done by three of us. Plus, we don't want it turn into a 4 week road trip that is nothing but roads, we want to have a few hours per day for sight seeing and stopping to take in the scenery etc...
I know what your saying Nick, I have a RHD Land Rover that the wife REFUSES to drive it, so it's basically a road trip for me. But we did get a few nice hikes in, varying from 10 ~ 30 kms. There's just soo much to see and experience and so little time. Going back to Norway has become a yearly thing for us, even with that said I don't think we will ever see everything. :wink:

Todd.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

I know what your saying Nick, I have a RHD Land Rover that the wife REFUSES to drive it, so it's basically a road trip for me. But we did get a few nice hikes in, varying from 10 ~ 30 kms. There's just soo much to see and experience and so little time. Going back to Norway has become a yearly thing for us, even with that said I don't think we will ever see everything. :wink:

Todd.
Indeed, I think the best we can hope for is a taster, who knows what will follow that.

Reactions: Todd Jackson

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

I see on one of your maps that you will skirting around Jotunheimen National Park, did you know the highest road in Norway is there which is over 1840 meters. Google it. :wink:

You weren't visiting Geiranger which is a popular tourist area with some nice hiking trails, but south of Geiranger is the old highway to Geiranger, route 258, you are skipping it by taking the main highway. I suggest taking 258, it's a toll road but the views are worth every cent.

Further south I see that you will be going through Lærdalstunnelen. Excellent experience but did you know that the road that goes over that mountain range Fv243 is a seasonal road and if your there early enough there will still be several meters of snow on each side of the road. Somehow I'd delete in one spot and do a loop there enjoying both roads.

My suggestions, anyways enjoy your trip.

Todd.
Updated to go West @ Maela and then north to the Bodo Ferry

Knew about the highest road as well!

Am taking 258, map is glitched in that area unless it is a southbound road only? We are coming from the S headed N in this section.

Again weird glitch with Fv243, the gameplan is to take it as well.

Reactions: Todd Jackson

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
Updated to go West @ Maela and then north to the Bodo Ferry

Knew about the highest road as well!

Am taking 258, map is glitched in that area unless it is a southbound road only? We are coming from the S headed N in this section.

Again weird glitch with Fv243, the gameplan is to take it as well.

Fv258 is two way traffic but narrow in places. Google maps can be a pain when planning trips, Fv243 is a good example, it showed you just at the lower section of the route.

ttephotos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Izmir, Turkey
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Really liking the new drone, looking forward to see what kind of frame I can pull off while on this trip! Trollstigen should offer some crazy angles

GEO_Fabi.Mhlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Radolfzell, Germany
First Name
Fabian
Last Name
Mahler
Member #

Hey nice plans you have going on. We're also planning a trip there starting 07. August.
My Route planning is a WiP but maybe you can give me some advise:
Baltic Sea Route
https://goo.gl/maps/yTLAc25S2UL2

Last year we have been to the Atlantic Ocean Bridge in Molde, so we skip on that part

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
Hey nice plans you have going on. We're also planning a trip there starting 07. August.
My Route planning is a WiP but maybe you can give me some advise:
Baltic Sea Route
https://goo.gl/maps/yTLAc25S2UL2

Last year we have been to the Atlantic Ocean Bridge in Molde, so we skip on that part
Driving through Sweden especially the northern parts you'll see nothing but forest, a lot of forest! When here I would suggest that you drive Vildmarksvägen which starts in Strömsund.
https://wildernessroad.eu/en/home This road has the highest concentration of brown bears in all of Sweden.

Todd.

GEO_Fabi.Mhlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Radolfzell, Germany
First Name
Fabian
Last Name
Mahler
Member #

Hey thanks for the advice, we actually want to do that, from Gaddede to Klimpfjell. Google just won't let me plot a route there.

Does somebody can give advice on the North Cape? Is it worth it or should you skip it and go to Gamvik instead?
Would be our first time up there.

Sent from my SM-T580 using OB Talk mobile app