Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Michael submitted a new blog post on the main site!

Under Pressure: Onboard Air Compressor Setups

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]http://www.o...
[URL='http://www.overlandbound.com/pressure-onboard-air-compressor-setups/']Continue reading the Original Blog Post.[/URL]

Last edited:

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Great article.
I have both a Powertank and the ARB dual air compressor with the one gallon tank.
I have tried an air dill with the ARB and tank, and it is not really spinning fast enough.
Have not tried my impact wrench wit it yet.

But with the Powertank it excels with both air tools, so I save the Powertank for just air tools.
The ARB twin compressor though works fantastic for airing back up my tires, it does it pretty fast, but not quite as fast as cranking the Powertank up to 150 PSI.

Thanks for the link to his channel Michael, I will subscribe for sure.

Rob Bradish

Rank 0

Contributor I

Great article, although I am frequently surprised that people forget about the High pressure compressed air option. A SCUBA or SCBA tank can be found used for $100. You can get a stepdown regulator used for $50. Even brand new, it is less than $300, and air fills (80ft3) cost around $4.

Because it is regulated, you can preset the LP air flow, making it easy to refill. With my single 108ft3 tank filled, can used the impact wrench to remove and replace two tires, and air back up all four tires (265/75r16) from 18 to 40 psi and use only half the tank.

Only negative is you are rolling around with 3000 or 3500psi in a cylinder, make sure to fasten it down appropriately!!

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Great article, although I am frequently surprised that people forget about the High pressure compressed air option. A SCUBA or SCBA tank can be found used for $100. You can get a stepdown regulator used for $50. Even brand new, it is less than $300, and air fills (80ft3) cost around $4.

Because it is regulated, you can preset the LP air flow, making it easy to refill. With my single 108ft3 tank filled, can used the impact wrench to remove and replace two tires, and air back up all four tires (265/75r16) from 18 to 40 psi and use only half the tank.

Only negative is you are rolling around with 3000 or 3500psi in a cylinder, make sure to fasten it down appropriately!!

When I used to paintball every weekend , I had 3 scubas I would use to to fill my smaller tanks. I was always a bit edgy driving around with them.

I run a viair 440p kit and fills the tires pretty quickly. Besides the fact I got this thing for a song, I can swap it to whichever vehicle im using. And for tools I run electric tools.

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
Great to find this article as I've been thinking about how to proceed with onboard air capability. We currently just have a budget Craftsman 12v for now but it's really just for emergencies. I like the idea of a small compressor with 1-3 gal air tank that can be switched on 20-minutes or so prior to airing back up at the end of the trail. Would appreciate any feedback from members who have that setup and any recommendations. Walt

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Great to find this article as I've been thinking about how to proceed with onboard air capability. We currently just have a budget Craftsman 12v for now but it's really just for emergencies. I like the idea of a small compressor with 1-3 gal air tank that can be switched on 20-minutes or so prior to airing back up at the end of the trail. Would appreciate any feedback from members who have that setup and any recommendations. Walt
I run an MF-1050 Compressor (no tank, not mounted permanent in the truck) and it works just fine for airing up my 33's. It fills tires fairly quick, but, can get a little hot, so I normally air up two, give it a minute or three to cool off and air up the other two tires. The main caveat to this compressor (and why many reviewers claim they are junk) is you need to turn the compressor on and THEN hook it to the tire stem. The compressor does not like starting up against pressure. But, for $50 or so dollars, it is a perfectly fine compressor for the occasional air up. If I was airing down every weekend, I would go with another compressor, but, once a month or so, it's just fine.

mitchandbuck

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda CA
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Hammond
Member #

Great article. There are two other options worth mentioning.
1. The York pump. This is an air compressor orig ally for air conditioning systems but don’t require coolant to lubricate pump since it had a stand alone oil resavoir. They have been popular in the off road community as builder kits, but there are company’s building full kits now. http://www.extremeoutback.com/product/91/ExtremeFlow+Belt+Drive+Compressor+SERPENTINE+BELT++Part%23+006-001.html

2. The warn power plant. This is an air compressor integrated into a warn winch. This is a fantastic option for folks with limited space, although the system is tall and folks have shown concern as to limiting air flow to radiator, I personally, have not this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GN6Z2X0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1523324687&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=warn+powerplant&dpPl=1&dpID=51u0rcuAkwL&ref=plSrch

Reactions: dubbinchris