Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

So last summer Helen and I got caught out in thunderstorm. The rain was coming down so hard that it soaked us after being outside for only a minute or two. Luckily I always carry a small tarp with me in my jeep no matter were we go. I was able to make something up using the trees near by, but it got me thinking what if I didnt have trees or sticks. So in this video I show you a sub $50 awning that I came up with. It isn't as pretty as some of the name brands, or as quick, but it does work very well and its highly customizable to your situation. Let me know what you think about this idea or any improvements you have.

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

I've done the same off my Teardrop. No way am I spending a grand on two tarps.
Honestly, I see both sides. The vehicle awnings seem like they are nice and simplify the process, especially if you don't stay in one place for to long. But I agree, the amount of money some of these companies are charging for the awnings seems a bit over the top to me. Plus I dont always need an awning out, in fact I rarely need an awning. If we need shade, we just put our chairs on the other side of the jeep. :tearsofjoy:

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I've been debating doing this exact setup pretty much with my xterra. We took my daughter camping for the first time last summer. Ended up not being much shade to speak of, which is why I was thinking about an awning, but 300 for the arb (which is known to be good quality) just isn't in the cards right now. I need other mods first.

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

I've been debating doing this exact setup pretty much with my xterra. We took my daughter camping for the first time last summer. Ended up not being much shade to speak of, which is why I was thinking about an awning, but 300 for the arb (which is known to be good quality) just isn't in the cards right now. I need other mods first.
I agree. There are a few other mods or trips I would rather spend money on at this point than spending a few hundred dollars on an awning. Also, the best thing about this setup is that you can get any size tarp. I picked this size just to see what I could do with it. But an 8x10 tarp is way more functional and thats what we have used in the past.

QDman

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Alpine, CA, USA
First Name
RANDY
Last Name
GIBSON
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB6JJR
I love that idea! I have a hammock with a stand that I use for car (Jeep) camping, and this would be great for that. Thanks!

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
So last summer Helen and I got caught out in thunderstorm. The rain was coming down so hard that it soaked us after being outside for only a minute or two. Luckily I always carry a small tarp with me in my jeep no matter were we go. I was able to make something up using the trees near by, but it got me thinking what if I didnt have trees or sticks. So in this video I show you a sub $50 awning that I came up with. It isn't as pretty as some of the name brands, or as quick, but it does work very well and its highly customizable to your situation. Let me know what you think about this idea or any improvements you have.
I think your DIY awning is a great idea. I've used a tarp off the back of my truck but had to tie off to the door mirrors and that's not ideal. I have no rack but I'm working on it then I can better make an awning for my rig.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I did something similar but it covers a lot less area than yours it looks like.

Reactions: Embark With Mark

obrianmcc

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Idaho
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McCrosky
Member #

For the original awnings made outside of Asia I can understand the premium price points after MAP pricing is established. It's the brands that have since sent them to Asia and are still selling at the premium prices that I have a hard time with.

Nothing wrong with DIY

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Walmart sells a kit almost similar to what he uses for $50 bucks