Uncle Ruckus (warning, first post is long)

• HTML tutorial

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Uncle Ruckus is a 1984 full size Ford Bronco i bought as a hunting/fishing/camping truck to keep the wear and tear off of Rutger, my 2012 superduty FX4.

'Ruckus , came to me with a 6 inch lift and 30 inch tires it was comical but at least it fit on the trailer.

As soon as I got home I installed a Warn winch bumper and a 9000i winch. The winch came up with a blown up vehicle in Afghanistan and the bumper came off of a junkyard k5 blazer so it doesn't line up exactly right I will have to cut and turn the ends eventually. When I cut and turn the ends to match the curvature of the truck I will also cook up some sort of a grille guard mostly so I will have somewhere to tie off my limb risers..... I have found Bumpers for this truck but they only made it for 6 years with this body style in the Bumpers are $1,100 for the front I prefer to build my things anyway this just gave me a head start. The rear bumper is a ranch hand i have had laying around.

It sat in the driveway with 6 inches of lift a winch bumper and 30 inch tires until my new to me 37x12.50x16.5 HMMWV tires showed up.

I chose to go with the BF Goodrich Baja TA there were three options the Goodyear military oz the good year Wrangler Mt and then the BF Goodrich. All of these are available at trail worthy fab.com. I think I paid 150 per tire.

I then grabbed up some pro comp D window steelies because this is a temporary wheel and tire combination until I get some more pressing matters under control and I can afford to get a more common wheel size and tires to go with them. Trying to find a 16 and a half inch 37 x 12 50 mud terrain in a pinch would not be fun... i do have one spare....

The 351 Windsor runs like a top the c6 transmission is great and does not have an overdrive which is great because overdrive does not like oversized tires but it's not so great for fuel economy...... but then again neither is a 4 barrel 750cfm carburetor either.

It has 9 inch Ford rear end in the Dana 44 twin traction beam front I do have a Dana 44 and all the trimmings from a 1979 F 150 that I'm going to use to convert the truck to a solid axle the TTB has offered no trouble at all I just do not like it. Also have another 9 inch for the rear. The axles are in the garage right now and tear down will start soon to rebuild with 4.56 gears lockers and probably some chrome moly shafts.

I will be posting some pictures of this build when I start my roof rack bumper builds and spare tire / fuel water can gate build in the next month or so.... it is a terribly slow build because I am currently remodeling my house preparing the way for the birth of my first child.

uploadfromtaptalk1450453791443.jpeg

uploadfromtaptalk1450454006694.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: SLO Rob

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

The back bumper is from a pleasent good morning gesture from my nieghbor. uploadfromtaptalk1450455410257.jpg
We had a laugh.

He hit my truck... i got a new bumper lol so i saved the old one

Reactions: SLO Rob and murps

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Damn, I never want to run into the back end of your truck. Was the car totaled?

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Damn, I never want to run into the back end of your truck. Was the car totaled?
Yeah it was, and he was cited for 45 mph and was cited as at fault as well, truck was parked and unoccupied... i was in bed lol

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Yeah it was, and he was cited for 45 mph and was cited as at fault as well, truck was parked and unoccupied... i was in bed lol

Geez, that must be one hell of a bumper. Dude must of been pissed he totaled his car. lol

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

uploadfromtaptalk1451784310017.jpg

Scored switches from an old hydraulics console.... im a fan

Start, stop, windows left right and rear.... more to follow

I like the old stuff!

Reactions: ShawnR

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Ive got this far on my own, just looking catch some fresh eyes to look at it at help me widdle this prototype out.

<br />
<br />
My old skool switches are my favorite addition so far.... very Tom Hanks Apollo 13 :-) much nostalgia.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Reactions: MarkW

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Are you going to leave it cardboard or is that a mockup? Just curious. It looks cool, I wish I had the time for DIY mods like I used to. Kids and work now get in the way lol

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Its still a prototype lol

Carboard till i get it just right, then 3/16 aluminum plate tig welded.

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Incould fiberglass it and do that lol

Yeah that would work... I was broke when i got my first truck and so were my friends/neighbors and this is the kinda stuff we'd do when we first got our licenses and we'd just roll on with cardboard.. lol

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Ok, i got the aluminum and the mocked up console dropped off at the cnc waterjet place!

Now i need to learn how to TIG weld aluminum.... no pressure right? Community college for the win

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

Sooo sloooow

Water jet place blows... lomg waiting list for independent jobs.

Got me a trailer axle and some bearings to build my tire gate onto that back bumper.

Started gearing up to rebuild the 77 D44HP bought a master kit and 7 degree C bushings

uploadfromtaptalk1454563698693.jpg

I want to rebuild the 9 inch and with my background in machine work... i know i can build this.

uploadfromtaptalk1454563766725.jpg

Ford 9 inch high pinion rear... keeps the drive shaft up out of the way

Reactions: SLO Rob