Launch Member

Influencer II

Kent UK
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

Berty can I suggest you invest in a coleman petrol stove they work in sub zero temps and will boil a copper in 2 mins. jet boil is great when you got plus temps but all gas stoves fail sub zero.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Berty can I suggest you invest in a coleman petrol stove they work in sub zero temps and will boil a copper in 2 mins. jet boil is great when you got plus temps but all gas stoves fail sub zero.
Good point Mike. I learned years ago camping in Scotland climbing winter Munro's that gas is useless in the very cold. I then used a whisper light petrol stove that was great although had to be maintained to clean the jets etc.

On car camping type trips I have a Coleman dual fuel 2 burner stove that is now about 10 years old and still going strong. Again maintainance is the key, look after it and it will go on and on.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Mike King

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kent UK
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

Damm it Polaris, it can get real cold up the munro's (for those that don't know they are small mountains over 3000 feet in Scotland) used to live close to the Trossachs and walk the dogs up there so well familiar with the weather. Survival gear and petrol heat only way to go, just a pity we can't off road there.

Disco_Berty

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

cheadle, Stoke on Trent
Member #

Looks like a great weekend even if you do look like an axe wielding maniac [emoji1]
I know, but any fool can be cold. I was toasty. But when I sent that photo to my wife she replied with have I joined Isis? Cheeky moose.

Also forgot to add, I recorded the gps route that we drove, so if anyone wants some of the lanes in the Peak District, then let me know. I use motion x, but it records GPx files which can be used most gps devices. It includes the complete trip i.e. Tarmac and green lane.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

Damm it Polaris, it can get real cold up the munro's (for those that don't know they are small mountains over 3000 feet in Scotland) used to live close to the Trossachs and walk the dogs up there so well familiar with the weather. Survival gear and petrol heat only way to go, just a pity we can't off road there.
I'm hoping to bag a couple of Munro's in Feb just trying to sort the schedule and route now.

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

Mike King

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kent UK
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

which ones are you thinking of bagging? (for those that don't know what we are talking about especially our US friends there are 282 munros in Scotland, for each one you complete "bag" you can register it and work through the list and keep a running total with the aim of bagging the lot.) bit like completing the trails at MOAB.

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

Ben More Assynt and Conival also hoping to take in a night by eas a chual aluinn waterfall

Mike King

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kent UK
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

don't forget the crampons, weather don't look that good for next 28 days, if you need ground base monitor to check in with let me know, would be quite happy to monitor would not want to loose you up there.

Reactions: Polaris Overland

F4T XJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

don't forget the crampons, weather don't look that good for next 28 days, if you need ground base monitor to check in with let me know, would be quite happy to monitor would not want to loose you up there.
Been watching the weather trying to pick the right time to go, it looked great a week ago but my son was delayed getting back from his tour.
We have a SPOT Gen3 that updates position every few minutes by Satellite to the wife but thanks for the very kind offer.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
And remember crampons and ice axe are like a winch and hi lift jack, dangerous unless you know how to use them and have practiced.

Reactions: blackntan

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
image.jpeg I am up in snowdonia every week end a few weeks ago group came to wards me dressed in nothing more than leasure wear i was sat on my qaud in full winter kit they stared at me Then asked is it cold futher on ! I am allwas amazed at peoples lack of respect for the elements. How hard is it to get a weather report and kit up acordingly

Reactions: Tom Burnet

Tom Burnet

Rank VI
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rhyl, Denbighshire, Wales, United Kingdom
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Burnet
Member #

I
Hey all. Fairly new member here. I drive a Defender 90. It seems by looking at the map that I'm the only member in the South West of England. Ah well maybe there are more members on the way. We're heading off to Dorset soon to trial the new porch for the Tentipi tent.
went to University down there :) Plymouth. Lovely part of the world!

Tom Burnet

Rank VI
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Tom
Last Name
Burnet
Member #

View attachment 15438 I am up in snowdonia every week end a few weeks ago group came to wards me dressed in nothing more than leasure wear i was sat on my qaud in full winter kit they stared at me Then asked is it cold futher on ! I am allwas amazed at peoples lack of respect for the elements. How hard is it to get a weather report and kit up acordingly
Snowdonia is 40 mins from me :) Love heading up there, its beautiful! Open my curtains to them every morning

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

View attachment 15438 I am up in snowdonia every week end a few weeks ago group came to wards me dressed in nothing more than leasure wear i was sat on my qaud in full winter kit they stared at me Then asked is it cold futher on ! I am allwas amazed at peoples lack of respect for the elements. How hard is it to get a weather report and kit up acordingly
There are certain people who aren't suitable to contribute to the gene pool. That's why I'm a fan of the "Darwin Awards".

Tom Burnet

Rank VI
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
Tom
Last Name
Burnet
Member #

I'm originally from Birkenhead (not a million miles away from where you are now). I joined the Royal Navy at 16 and after 23 years service I stayed here in the sunny South West.
Birkenhead, that's my mothers home town!
I enjoy it down south, made a fair amount of memories down there, especially around St. Mellion where I based my uni work.