Launch Member

Influencer II

Kent UK
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

I'm originally from Birkenhead (not a million miles away from where you are now). I joined the Royal Navy at 16 and after 23 years service I stayed here in the sunny South West.
Take it you did part one in legoland, did you come across a Comander Tricky when you were there?

Mike King

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kent UK
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

I have no idea what you're talking about - "legoland" sorry
After HMS Raleigh was rebuilt it used to be referred to by some of the old hands as legoland based on the module appearance, the old barracks on the north side of the road were wooden and used to have earth floors where as the new blocks on the south side had proper floors

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

After HMS Raleigh was rebuilt it used to be referred to by some of the old hands as legoland based on the module appearance, the old barracks on the north side of the road were wooden and used to have earth floors where as the new blocks on the south side had proper floors
Ah yes. I joined Raleigh in 1987 although no one was accommodated on the north side of the road. It was just storerooms. I finished my career back at Raleigh as a phase 1 instructor. Wow talk about long hours. It was massively rewarding though.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Ah yes. I joined Raleigh in 1987 although no one was accommodated on the north side of the road. It was just storerooms. I finished my career back at Raleigh as a phase 1 instructor. Wow talk about long hours. It was massively rewarding though.
Thank you for your service

Reactions: Disco_Berty

Tom Burnet

Rank VI
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rhyl, Denbighshire, Wales, United Kingdom
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Burnet
Member #

I still have family up there but I don't get much opportunity to visit. Maybe I'll find some time to visit soon.
If you do, let me know & I'll make sure to be around...Actually, I am heading down south at some point this year to see some friends, I'll give you a heads up if I make a return to Plymouth.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

If you do, let me know & I'll make sure to be around...Actually, I am heading down south at some point this year to see some friends, I'll give you a heads up if I make a return to Plymouth.
We will have to see what we can figure out. I have quite a few trips already organised for this year.

Reactions: Tom Burnet

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Ex Matlow myself, joined 81 and left 95 mostly Rosyth based shops and shore. Weapons Engineer and ships diver. First draft after training was the Plymouth in 82.
Loved my time in the mob and wish I'd never left [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

Ex Matlow myself, joined 81 and left 95 mostly Rosyth based shops and shore. Weapons Engineer and ships diver. First draft after training was the Plymouth in 82.
Loved my time in the mob and wish I'd never left [emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Ops Department for me. Left as a PO. I was also a Ships Diver. Additionally I was 2 i/C of the Boarding Team. Loved it

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

sorry to cut in on the theme that you guys are having just then ;)

I'm pleased to say that I've moved up in the world! - My LR Discovery 1 has now been retired (pending rebuild possibly later in year... we will see) but I'm now using LR Defender 90 which has a 300tdi on a '94 plate.. he is now known as "LENY" ;) lol

My disco was slowly failing and I was lucky enough to be offered by Dad the defender so I can save for my 110 in a year or two :p (or until he retires and wants the defender back!! )