Advocate I

Canberra ACT, Australia
First Name
Jarrad
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Hi All,
This thread to get the peoples opinion on the use of 2 or more UHF aerials on the one rig. I personally have only one aerial point (GME XRS-370 setup) and and it works fine, I more curious as to why other people have several. There are a lot of rigs getting around here with 2 aerials of the same type and length i.e. a 6db aerial on each corner of the bullbar. I would get it if one aerial was a UHF and the other was for phone etc, or a 2.5db and one was 6db - but then why would you just not swap out the aerial manually rather than have to seperate sytems with (Im assuming) a switch in the dash. Would this not just create more issues with parts becoming u/s, or impedence from the other aerial.
If someone out there is running a multi-aerial setup and can loop me in on the 'why', and is it worth the extra setup time and parts?
Cheers

Reactions: KD7WCD

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
I'll be curious to see what they say.

I run a amateur radio in my rig in the States. I have a UHF/VHF and HF antennas on my mobile rig. They run independently into the same radio which is an all band all mode radio.

I have run two UHF/VHF antennas when I have a second radio set up to do APRS.

If you need two antennas that cover different frequency that need to run into one antenna port you can use a duplexer. This would save you need for a switch but will cost you a little bit of signal lost. But then you wouldn't need to switch to the right antenna. Depending on the set up being on the wrong antenna can cause some serious damage to your radio.