Type II Diabetes, Sleep Apnea (CPAP) and Cholesterol How do you maintain a healthy lifestyle on then Trail

• HTML tutorial

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

Hello, Everyone just wanted to throw this subject out there to see peoples responses on how they mitigate a possible medical emergency while on the trail. I'm 49 soon to 50 after my 20 year stint in the Military my health has declined a little partly my fault I admit but some ailments have come with age. My most troublesome predicament is type II diabetes which in the most part I have under control as long as I refrain from the sweets, testing my sugar levels daily are fairly simple in a controlled environment however, with the carbs sometimes needed for the trail to keep energy up this can be problematic. So when I go out out on the trail I bring diet drinks or sweeteners nothing with actual granular sugars. I also bring my test strips, along with my meter kit w/ alcohol pads, I can definitely feel the change in my body when my sugars are off up or to low. I also bring an A1C level check kit which can be found at Walgreens or most pharmacies, as long as my levels being under 7 I'm good but, there are times the levels do get higher give or take .3. Sleep Apnea is the other problem I was finally able to get my CPAP machine replaced with a newer smaller compact size which is perfect for the trail. However it is a pain to run a power supply directly to the machine which takes some figuring out usually I can run a power cord to a generator if available, but there are other times I do not have the option and I go without the use of the machine. Does anyone know if the market sells solar powered sleep apnea CPAP machines? So the last issue is controlling the two above mentioned problems along with high cholesterol ... Yep without the drugs and diet I would be a walking heart attack waiting to happen. Its difficult at best to maintain all these ailments so I would like to know who else on this forum has similar problems and how do you maintain a healthy lifestyle while on the trail?

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

Hi - for sleep apnea my setup is a travel CPAP (ResMed AirMini) and a Yeti 400 Lithium Power Station, which I also use for other things while camping (light, coffee grinder, compressor for mattress, ...). This setup works great but isn't the cheapest.

Reactions: sjarvis and Kirk T

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
You can get into a Pure Sine Wave inverter for 50-60 bucks. About a 400 watt unit, this well run the CPAC, it well also run most battery chargers that charge Li-Po batteries. I keep my insulin in the cooler. The CPAC pulls very little power, I don't think you well have a problem with a single 12v battery. I carry a Oxygen generator and need to be able to charge those batteries. Above 6-7k feet I need help breathing.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I picked up some used cpap machines that work on 12v directly and they have worked fine. I paid $50 each. As far as the diabetes, check often, drink plenty of water, stay away from sweetened drinks.

Remember exertion and adrenaline effect your blood sugars and it varies from person to person. Check often. Keep sugar/sweets around in case your numbers go too low.

I take insulin, so I actually dial the dose back and monitor closely, adding a shot if needed. You are much better to run a touch high, rather than low. Remember to keep you insulin cool.

Reactions: Kirk T

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
As a Type I diabetic who is under control, I fully appreciate your predicament. I have found that my insulin requirements drop dramatically when traveling because I am not eating near as much junk and I am staying more active than my 8-5 desk job. Knowing your medication and supply use is the most critical bit of information to know so you are not trying to track down prescriptions on the road. When I am on the road, especially when driving, I tend to check my glucose more often. While running high wont cause any immediate problems a low can be deadly.

In regards to maintaining control on the trail, I always wait at least 2 hours after eating or taking insulin before falling asleep to make sure I wont have a low in the night. I'm always packing fruit snacks in my pockets and extra bottles of orange juice in the cooler (soon to be fridge to better regulate my insulin temperature :smirk:). Your travel companions also need to know how to spot hypoglycemia and sometimes hyperglycemia and how to treat it. I usually keep some honey packets available for somebody to fill my cheeks with if I pass out and not have a glucagon pen available. I've never had problems on the trail, but by-golly I want to be prepared in case something does happen.

Reactions: sjarvis and Kirk T

KCJAG

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Shawnee, KS, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Geer
Member #

Type II diabetes can be cured with your diet. I am assuming that all above mentioned ailments could be cured by diet alone. Modern medicine has their hands deep in big pharma’s pockets. Modern medicine treats the symptoms with blockers and inhibitors. They don’t solve the problem by healing the body. Most likely one of your ailments led to the next and the next. Your doctor isn’t trained to cure disease. If it was me I would go full steam into curing these myself instead of living behind lines of pharmaceuticals. It can be done. I highly recommend www.dietdoctor.com which is the best place for the most information on a low carb diet and lifestyle.

I know that this diet works. I’ve lost 60 pounds on this diet and got rid of cholesterol medicine.

Last edited:

SilverSurferJKU

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary Alberta
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Boksteyn
Member #

I can’t agree more!! The magic pill was a revelation to me. Once I started Keto I dropped 25lbs and feel fantastic with heaps of energy!
My friends dad was a bad diabetic, he started eating Keto over 10 years ago and is now totally off diabetes medication!

Reactions: Kirk T and Miss Roo

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I can’t agree more!! The magic pill was a revelation to me. Once I started Keto I dropped 25lbs and feel fantastic with heaps of energy!
My friends dad was a bad diabetic, he started eating Keto over 10 years ago and is now totally off diabetes medication!
Mind you I know zip about this diet but one strke is I hate the taste of 89% of the veggies in the world, tried diff preps, diff sause, mixing with stuff, no good, my darn brain is stuck at 10 years old or something, now soot me or stb me I can deal with it, throw a veggie at me dude I am outta here......

So doe this diet doctor cover that? if so I will go buy it or watch it or whatever......

Thanks!

Jim

SilverSurferJKU

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary Alberta
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Boksteyn
Member #

Mind you I know zip about this diet but one strke is I hate the taste of 89% of the veggies in the world, tried diff preps, diff sause, mixing with stuff, no good, my darn brain is stuck at 10 years old or something, now soot me or stb me I can deal with it, throw a veggie at me dude I am outta here......

So doe this diet doctor cover that? if so I will go buy it or watch it or whatever......

Thanks!

Jim
My suggestion would be to try a greens supplement drink, it’s vegetables in powdered from one scoop into water or almond milk will supply you with the nutritional values.
But at the end of day eating real is the way to go.
Growing up I hated most things green my mom put on my plate, and looking back I know it was the better way to go versus the manufactured crap the the food industry is throwing out there calling it healthier then natural.
I’ll use a greens supplement only for a on the fly fix.

KCJAG

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Shawnee, KS, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Geer
Member #

Thanks!

Jim
Yes, go look at the site. Www.dietdoctor.com. It has a free section and a paid section.

Reactions: Kirk T and Jim SoG

dougruss3

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Livingston County, New York, United States
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Russell
Member #

I have been following diet doctor myself. I have a paid subscription. It is well worth it. I don't have diabetes but do suffer from hypertension. I actually lost 10 pounds in less than a week on this. Love the idea of having all the protein and fats that you want and still be able to loose weight...lol.

medic535

Rank III

Influencer II

Georgia, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Y
Ham/GMRS Callsign
w2wtf
Hello, Everyone just wanted to throw this subject out there to see peoples responses on how they mitigate a possible medical emergency while on the trail. I'm 49 soon to 50 after my 20 year stint in the Military my health has declined a little partly my fault I admit but some ailments have come with age. My most troublesome predicament is type II diabetes which in the most part I have under control as long as I refrain from the sweets, testing my sugar levels daily are fairly simple in a controlled environment however, with the carbs sometimes needed for the trail to keep energy up this can be problematic. So when I go out out on the trail I bring diet drinks or sweeteners nothing with actual granular sugars. I also bring my test strips, along with my meter kit w/ alcohol pads, I can definitely feel the change in my body when my sugars are off up or to low. I also bring an A1C level check kit which can be found at Walgreens or most pharmacies, as long as my levels being under 7 I'm good but, there are times the levels do get higher give or take .3. Sleep Apnea is the other problem I was finally able to get my CPAP machine replaced with a newer smaller compact size which is perfect for the trail. However it is a pain to run a power supply directly to the machine which takes some figuring out usually I can run a power cord to a generator if available, but there are other times I do not have the option and I go without the use of the machine. Does anyone know if the market sells solar powered sleep apnea CPAP machines? So the last issue is controlling the two above mentioned problems along with high cholesterol ... Yep without the drugs and diet I would be a walking heart attack waiting to happen. Its difficult at best to maintain all these ailments so I would like to know who else on this forum has similar problems and how do you maintain a healthy lifestyle while on the trail?

go Keto diet on the trail, lots of water, 15g of carbs or less a day, the extra physical work you do should easily burn that, no beer/ booze and lose 25# to help the DM II and sleep apnea

Rich_the4x4podcast

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lawrence KS
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Young
Member #

Diet and exercise really are the best ways to help control diabetes and cholesterol. It may not get you off medications, but it will help. One of the most common causes of sleep apnea is being overweight. Again, diet and exercise. The science really is still out on the long-term effects of keto and protein-based diets on cholesterol. The best bet is avoiding red meats and sticking to lean meats. Avoiding carbs, as everyone knows, is going to help with your diabetes. Ultimately, what is going to work is a diet that you are able to stick to and maintain while at camp. A balanced, unprocessed diet, rich in very colorful fruits and vegetables, lean meats, fish, whole grains, nuts, seeds, olive oil, and lots of water is really the only diet that has been proven time and time again to be sustainable. What works for me, may not work for you. For health reasons, I switched to a vegetarian diet with the occasional splurge every few months of some fish or chicken (rarely at camp). All of the food travels well and very little needs to be refrigerated. Again, what works for me, may not work for you. I will say, it's has been the easiest diet change I've ever done.

Kirk T

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmdale, CA, USA
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Tylosky
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6NIE
Service Branch
Army and Navy
Hello PatriotT4R,

That is a great question and thank you for bringing that subject up! First thanks for your service. I am also a veteran also and I am 52 and have the same issues. While I love going out and driving the trails and enjoying nature with my wife; I only do day trips as of now because I am very worried with my sleep apnea. Also, thanks for all the responses to tis delicate but very important question. It has helped me a lot with moving forward.

Thanks,
Kirk

Type II diabetes can be cured with your diet. I am assuming that all above mentioned ailments could be cured by diet alone. Modern medicine has their hands deep in big pharma’s pockets. Modern medicine treats the symptoms with blockers and inhibitors. They don’t solve the problem by healing the body. Most likely one of your ailments led to the next and the next. Your doctor isn’t trained to cure disease. If it was me I would go full steam into curing these myself instead of living behind lines of pharmaceuticals. It can be done. I highly recommend www.dietdoctor.com which is the best place for the most information on a low carb diet and lifestyle.

I know that this diet works. I’ve lost 60 pounds on this diet and got rid of cholesterol medicine.
Thank for the link. I also believe that diet can control everything, but it is so hard for me to control. I seems I lack self control.

Codebeagle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Elsinore, Utah, United States
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Porter
Member #

For a CPAP, I use a ResMed Airsense10 with a marine deep cycle battery and the DC adaptor. It's stupid heavy, but I get four full nights of sleep on the charge if I don't use the humidifier. I'm type II diabetic and control it through diet and some basic meds. I like low carb foods in general so I just plan meals with protein, veggies I do like, and a few fruits in there. So good meal planning there can go a long ways. I bring extra meds in case and have some snacks on hand to boost levels when hiking.

Interestingly enough, the more I overland and get outside, the better all the conditions get. You can do it! Have fun out there.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Hello PatriotT4R,

That is a great question and thank you for bringing that subject up! First thanks for your service. I am also a veteran also and I am 52 and have the same issues. While I love going out and driving the trails and enjoying nature with my wife; I only do day trips as of now because I am very worried with my sleep apnea. Also, thanks for all the responses to tis delicate but very important question. It has helped me a lot with moving forward.

Thanks,
Kirk

Thank for the link. I also believe that diet can control everything, but it is so hard for me to control. I seems I lack self control.
Everybody says that, and it may be true for some people, but in my case, I have lived on less than 25 grams of carbs for years. Even with exercise, the lowest I have been able to get my A1C without meds (pills and injections) is 7.5. The only way to get it lower is to completely fast. I did it for 45 days, a true no food, no liquids with calories and finally got my average to 132, even with meds.