Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I have a Partner 22" and absolutely love it; worth every blessed penny. True expedition quality.

At the time I bought mine, last summer, I found the best price at Adventure Ready, but I'd check around to be sure, if that's the route you go. I chose it because of the build, reputation, and that I know it's a well-built, simple, practical, tool I'll be able to use hard, repair easily IF it ever needs it, and that I can pass on to my kid and probably her kid after that. I like knowing that, and that they'll get a kick out of where it's been from all the stickers.

I've used it a ton, most recently on a long four month trip through all kind of weather, where it was my main workhorse and centerpiece of my kitchen setup. Used it two-three times a day and never had a bit of problem with it. Rugged and built to last.

Some people experience problems with propane stoves at high altitudes, so switch to butane one burners then. I have two of those. One like this and another that is the same style, though I don't recall where I got it. A camp supply store, I believe. They're quite handy for quick meals or to supplement your two burner when making large meals and need an extra burner.

Here's a thread with six pages of answers to someone wondering what to buy for two-burner stove.
Here's another thread on Camp Stoves

My camp kitchen setup with the Partner 22":

roaddude_partnerstove22-3713.jpg

Good luck! Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

thejoking__explorer

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Denver Co
Member #

I have a Partner 22" and absolutely love it; worth every blessed penny. True expedition quality.

At the time I bought mine, last summer, I found the best price at Adventure Ready, but I'd check around to be sure, if that's the route you go. I chose it because of the build, reputation, and that I know it's a well-built, simple, practical, tool I'll be able to use hard, repair easily IF it ever needs it, and that I can pass on to my kid and probably her kid after that. I like knowing that, and that they'll get a kick out of where it's been from all the stickers.

I've used it a ton, most recently on a long four month trip through all kind of weather, where it was my main workhorse and centerpiece of my kitchen setup. Used it two-three times a day and never had a bit of problem with it. Rugged and built to last.

Some people experience problems with propane stoves at high altitudes, so switch to butane one burners then. I have two of those. One like this and another that is the same style, though I don't recall where I got it. A camp supply store, I believe. They're quite handy for quick meals or to supplement your two burner when making large meals and need an extra burner.

Here's a thread with six pages of answers to someone wondering what to buy for two-burner stove.
Here's another thread on Camp Stoves

My camp kitchen setup with the Partner 22":

View attachment 50280

Good luck! Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.
Killer setup! Thanks for all the info. It was much appreciated.

Reactions: Road

ScottinAZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
Member #

I, too, have a partner steel 22" for my personal camp kitchen. We also use exclusively partner steel stoves for work. We outfit river trips in the grand canyon and rent out these stoves to people with every imaginable amount (or lack thereof) of experience. People find the darndest way to try and destroy our gear, and the partner steel stoves are the only ones we have found that are idiot proof. Any drunk third grader can use, abuse, disassemble and repair them... plus the grand canyon is a pretty harsh environment for gear with the sand, water, and blunt trauma of a three week river trip, yet these stoves keep cranking out the meals for 16 people nonstop.

Reactions: GeoYota and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I, too, have a partner steel 22" for my personal camp kitchen. We also use exclusively partner steel stoves for work. We outfit river trips in the grand canyon and rent out these stoves to people with every imaginable amount (or lack thereof) of experience. People find the darndest way to try and destroy our gear, and the partner steel stoves are the only ones we have found that are idiot proof. Any drunk third grader can use, abuse, disassemble and repair them... plus the grand canyon is a pretty harsh environment for gear with the sand, water, and blunt trauma of a three week river trip, yet these stoves keep cranking out the meals for 16 people nonstop.
Heh - I never run across any drunk third-graders; couple drunk fourth-graders every once in awhile, but they usually don't cook, but have to agree with you; these stoves are rugged and durable as all get-out. They're one of the pieces of gear--that if chosen wisely--get better with age. I first ran across Partner Stoves as you have, sounds like, with river outfitters.

You might be interested in the thread Wisdom From the River that @Plisken started, about "river specific gear that can benefit the overlanding community." We'd both love to see more folks contribute to the list, if there are other pieces of gear you use in the Grand Canyon when outfitting river trips.

Reactions: WrongWayRandall

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have 2 Coleman 425f stoves. One is in great shape and I use it regularly. Picked it up for $25. I picked up the second one for $15 and I'm sure it works, but it's in need of some restoration. I picked up a couple off-brand 2 burner propane stoves, similar to the Coleman 5340-700 model. I have yet to date and test them, but they were cheap so I couldn't pass them up. I would suggest finding one of each fuel burning type. I like the 425f for the multifuel option since I'll always have gasoline handy if I ever run out of the proper fuel. Propane is nice because it's cheap and you can modify the stove (slightly) to use a larger tank. For the cost of used ones, you'll be hard pressed to find anything equivalent for the cost. If you don't mind tinkering with them, or know someone who has experience with them, the old/vintage Coleman camp gear is worth the look. Parts are still available as a good chunk of them are interchangeable. I myself rebuild the stoves and lanterns for friends as they have seen what I have done with mine.

Plisken

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0GZI
Service Branch
US Army
Heh - I never run across any drunk third-graders; couple drunk fourth-graders every once in awhile, but they usually don't cook, but have to agree with you; these stoves are rugged and durable as all get-out. They're one of the pieces of gear--that if chosen wisely--get better with age. I first ran across Partner Stoves as you have, sounds like, with river outfitters.

You might be interested in the thread Wisdom From the River that @Plisken started, about "river specific gear that can benefit the overlanding community." We'd both love to see more folks contribute to the list, if there are other pieces of gear you use in the Grand Canyon when outfitting river trips.
Yes please! Bring it! The Partner stoves certainly qualify for the river gear list and are all but bullet proof. Sweet kitchen setup Sir.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Yes please! Bring it! The Partner stoves certainly qualify for the river gear list and are all but bullet proof. Sweet kitchen setup Sir.
Thanks, man - I love my outdoor kitchen set-up and my Partner 22" is definitely the centerpiece/workhorse.

I need to work up an article sometime soon on outdoor kitchens and how to do one easily and efficiently for vehicle camping. I'm also getting together a much more portable cooking setup for overnight biking and kayaking, sort of bush craft style with Billy Pot, etc.

Reactions: Plisken and TerryD

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Ive used the Camp Chef Everest for some time now and like how it is portable and easily stowed. Probably would have bought the Partner if I had known about it but for now the Everest works all the time and at any altitude for me.

WrongWayRandall

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

We've been using an old Coleman stove that I've had since the 1970s, and while the nostalgia factor is high, it does takes some tinkering from time to time. We've been looking at the Camp Chef off and on, but still have not decided whether to go with something more modern. We tend to cook over an open fire about as often as in a stove so it's interesting to see what other a are doing.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
If you can afford a Partner Steel stove get. US Made and will last a lifetime. If you can't afford that then there are a ton of other options. I have a Primus 24" wide dual burner stove. It works reasonably well. Not as good as Partner that was in my old trailer but since I own it and it works I will continue to use it. I finally found a bag for it! Bass Pro Shop has a great bag for $19.99 plus shipping.

I think Primus and CampChef are similar models.

Last edited:

Ben_in_ILM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Myrtle Grove, NC
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jensen
Member #

I just purchased the JetBoil Genesis two burner system. It's a good chunk of change but well worth it. Right now it's $289 at REI with the member coupon. Comes with fry pan and 5L pot with lid. Thing boils 5 liters in under 4 minutes.

Reactions: Nemisys

Nemisys

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vancouver, WA
First Name
John
Last Name
Root
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7NEM
I just purchased the JetBoil Genesis two burner system. It's a good chunk of change but well worth it. Right now it's $289 at REI with the member coupon. Comes with fry pan and 5L pot with lid. Thing boils 5 liters in under 4 minutes.
I have one as well, for the setup its great for a condensed system. allows more food and such to be put into my storage container. What i like mostly is that the temperature controls actually work. I can simmer and not have to go full scorch like some others. The satellite attachment is great to have extra water or have the french press coffee prepared. Yea, it may be a little spendy but IMO, i think its worth the bang for the buck.

happy cooking!!

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

We use & like the Camp Chef Everest, it has 2 burners @ 20,000 BTUs. We have NO complaints on our stove, we can simmer @ a very low flame whether we are using our Coleman Camp Oven, or our Seth McGinn's Can Cooker, or I am making BBQ sauce or gravy's. It cleans up easy w\o any hassles & we also have ours hooked up to bulk propane. The reviews on this stove are high in positive which Sally & I we looked a all of them. This stove runs about 99.00, you can find them cheaper if you look. We paid extra for the carrying case & a few other accessories.

032.JPG 007.JPG

Last edited:

4WLO

Rank 0

Traveler I

I was given a Hillary Deluxe 2 Burner. I've been using it now for about 10 yrs and it still works and looks great. I think the many coatings of bacon grease have kept it looking good...me not so much. I'm mostly an open fire/ally stove guy but when cooking out of the truck or canoe the Hillary comes along.

Attachments

rooftentoverland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Munich, Germany
Member #

Hi guys!
I am in Germany and am interested in getting a Partner Stove.
Now since i am in different-country-different-connections chaos, could you guys maybe elaborate on the gas connection (on the stove side). What kind of a connection / thread is that?

@Road @ScottinAZ maybe? Also some pictures would be amazing.

Thanks so much guys

PS: @Road What is that green kitchen box you have under your Partner Stove? Have seen it in another thread and it looks awsome. Thanks.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hi guys!
I am in Germany and am interested in getting a Partner Stove.
Now since i am in different-country-different-connections chaos, could you guys maybe elaborate on the gas connection (on the stove side). What kind of a connection / thread is that?

@Road @ScottinAZ maybe? Also some pictures would be amazing.

Thanks so much guys

PS: @Road What is that green kitchen box you have under your Partner Stove? Have seen it in another thread and it looks awsome. Thanks.
Hey Thomas - I love my Partner Stove. I have the 22" two burner, and have found it easy to adjust from very low to scorching, simple, and virtually indestructible. I'll get some pics and measurements of the threaded hose connection later today (getting ready for my kid's university graduation!). The stove comes with a hose and regulator, so I'll take pics and measurements of both ends. The CookPartner Steel Stove may have fittings for European countries.

The green box under my stove is the BeaverTree Camp Kitchen. Though the company, in Wisconsin USA, still makes and sells them, they can be hard to find in other places or used. Most people who have one won't give it up. I think they go for around $199.00 USD. I bought mine used with a vintage Coleman stove, for I think $50 USD, from a guy who had two, because his father was getting too old to camp so gave it to him.

Here are some images I have from when I was pulling everything out and re-organizing it when camping earlier this week. You can see it holds a crazy amount of stuff, though isn't too overly heavy to handle because it is so lightweight to begin with.

Pulling everything out for re-organization:
partner-contents_6262.jpeg

All sorted and put back in place. Note that the griddle, two saute pans, two dishes and a shallow aluminum pan all fit under the lid when it's closed, even with the stove in there. I think these boxes were made with typical camp stoves in mind. I love that I can keep all my main cooking stuff together in one easy box and not have to unload or dig through another box for pans, etc. The drawer on the left end has all my silverware, spatula, knives, etc.
partner-straight_6267.jpeg

You can also remove the top if you like and use it for washing. I even use it sometimes as a shower base when in an area I can't let water run off. The front also flips down, as you can see, and provides a handy surface. This box is deep front to back and holds an amazing amount of stuff.

One of my projects this week is going to be making some thin-walled plywood boxes to go in the right side spaces to utilize the space even more efficiently, while still leaving room in the front for taller things like my JetBoil and GoGator thermal mug. The compartments are so deep that you have to haul everything out if you want to get to something in the back. Drawers will allow it all to stay organized without unpacking/repacking the compartment.

Stove set up for cooking with top of the Beavertree box flipped back, front flipped down:
partner-straight_6360.jpeg

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Thomas Schoenweitz

Sorry, meant to do this on Fri, then got sidetracked; just been too nice out!

Here's a bunch of images of the propane connection, with captions below each:

PartnerSteelStove_6638.jpeg
This is the five foot hose that came with my new 22" Cook Partner

PartnerSteelStove_6639.jpeg
5/8" female hose end that connects to the stove

PartnerSteelStove_6641.jpeg
Stove side connection. You can order this to be left or right side. You can also custom order various lengths of propane supply hose. I suspect you can custom order a hose from Partner that will work for German propane tanks, though I couldn't find that info on their site. Must be an adapter, as well, that will allow you to use this hose on a German propane tank. You may have better luck finding out info on custom ordering from the dealer. I found the best deal to be at Adventure Ready, but there may be a dealer in Germany that can source a Cook Partner for you.

PartnerSteelStove_6672.jpeg
Stove side 5/8" male connection. Let me know if you need the thread info.

PartnerSteelStove_6640.jpeg
Tank end connection. This is reverse threaded, standard for US propane tank connections. Note the hose comes with a built-in regulator, at 27psi.

PartnerSteelStove_6643.jpeg
Hose stows nicely under the grill, which comes out easily and re-installs just as easily, though very securely. Makes cleaning a breeze.

Definitely one of the best pieces of gear I own. No problems at altitude, no problems adjusting flame from lowest to full blast, no repairs of any kind needed yet. I've had mine since early last summer and used it every day on a long 16 week trip and several times since, including two-three times a day just last week. No adjustments were needed after having been unused for a few months.

Let me know if there is any other info I can help you with, or if I can ship any hose connection parts, etc.

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing!

Road

Reactions: rooftentoverland