tweco welder problems, anyone have any ideas?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I have a tweco fabricator 141i, we were using it last night to weld on a couple of washers onto a chassis and stopped for a minute. When we went back to start welding again, no output. The device would turn on but would not weld.

Any ideas?

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have a tweco fabricator 141i, we were using it last night to weld on a couple of washers onto a chassis and stopped for a minute. When we went back to start welding again, no output. The device would turn on but would not weld.

Any ideas?
Go try it again. You probably hit the duty cycle limit and the machine needed to cool back down.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
This is interesting......
What process were you using it for?
I am gunna guess Mig....

I assume you have tried switching processes and still nothing?

Have you done a reset to default settings?

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I have not done a reset yet. I am going to call the company to get some ideas as well. I have to see if there is a process to a reset of the machine. It was MIG. I was trying stick first but the rods I had were junk so I went and bought a roll of flux core to run though it. Thanks for the idea about the reset.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I have not done a reset yet. I am going to call the company to get some ideas as well. I have to see if there is a process to a reset of the machine. It was MIG. I was trying stick first but the rods I had were junk so I went and bought a roll of flux core to run though it. Thanks for the idea about the reset.
So is it dead on stick , smaw , as well? Or just mig?

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
OK, we pulled it apart and did all the tests from the service manual. Everything came back in working order. We then proceeded to test MIG again. And.... Low and behold its working. Contrary to popular belief from esab and the guy who was using the machine at the time, you DO need to pull the trigger to arc. I was asking him he said no its just for wire feed. Doh. I never used it before so I would not know. Now it's time to get a spool, gas and some material and practice and build some stuff. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Boort and PNW EXPLR

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
A little update on this welder. My wood fired furnace in my shop had two cracks in the fire box. I decided to peel the skin off and fix it up. Welded both up and are now airtight again. I love this little welder. It's now under the esrb brand. I am ordering the tig footpedal setup and spool so I can start welding aluminum. I need to get the gas setup as well. For now I am using fluxcore wire which, from what I read creates more splatter and not as clean a weld. Just an update on this awesome tool!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
A little update on this welder. My wood fired furnace in my shop had two cracks in the fire box. I decided to peel the skin off and fix it up. Welded both up and are now airtight again. I love this little welder. It's now under the esrb brand. I am ordering the tig footpedal setup and spool so I can start welding aluminum. I need to get the gas setup as well. For now I am using fluxcore wire which, from what I read creates more splatter and not as clean a weld. Just an update on this awesome tool!
i use fluxcore and it does splatter, but if i prep everything really good and dial in my amp/speed just right, i get decent results on 5/16" material and thinner. it didnt do as well on 3/8", so i guess if i was doing more of that, i would try using gas. most of my welding isnt structural, so fluxcore is fine and the money i save on gas i can use on extra grinding discs :grinning:

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
i use fluxcore and it does splatter, but if i prep everything really good and dial in my amp/speed just right, i get decent results on 5/16" material and thinner. it didnt do as well on 3/8", so i guess if i was doing more of that, i would try using gas. most of my welding isnt structural, so fluxcore is fine and the money i save on gas i can use on extra grinding discs :grinning:
For sure, the grinder. A welders best friend. I don't mind paying for the gas etc, I just haven't had a chance to set everything up. After christmas I am going to pick up a welding table, the gas and tank, some materials and see what I can do. I am also getting the tig gun and spool set up as well. Might as well go into it two feet!

Reactions: grubworm

Offroadtb

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I am a welder full
Time, and no that is not good. Turn your shade up. If your doing a mig process then you need to be running at least shade 11. I wear shade 1 safety glasses and run my shield at 12. This gives me good protection.

Vinman

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Are you sure that machine can tig weld aluminum? I have the Tweco 211i and while it is capable of mig, tig and stick welding it cannot tig aluminum. My understanding is there is no machine that can mig weld steel and tig weld aluminum.