Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Dooood. Ok, I'll ask the rude question $$$?

I want this @Corrie
They sell the base models (actually nicely loaded) for 13,995.00
Here's whats in the base model:

Full Steel Trailer 2x3 Perimeter Box Frame, 3500# stub UCF Flexride Rubber Torsion axles 2750# Springs, 10" Electric Brakes, 16" Steel Wheels, 265/70-16 AT Tires, Forward and Aft Receiver Hitch on Frame, Bedliner Coated Chassis, 0.050" White Aluminum Skin, 2 Side and 1 Rear Compartment Doors w/ Matching Keys, LED Lighting, 20# Propane Tank with Stainless Steel Bracket, Deka Group 24 AGM Marine Battery in Box with Blue Sea Fused Terminal Block, Blue Sea Systems® Marine Grade Electrical Components, 4 Rail Cargo Bar Roof Rack, 2000# Swing Away Tongue Jack with Foot, Safety Chains, 7 Way Flat Trailer Plug Wired to: Running, Brake, Turn Charge Line & Trailer Brakes, Interior Lighting in Cargo Area and Kitchen, 42 Gallon Fresh Water Tank Food Grade, BPA Free Construction, Flowjet 12v Demand Water Pump, Atwood 6 Gallon DSI Water Heater, Exterior Shower, Baltic Birch Pantry Drawer in Kitchen Area, Baltic Birch Slide Out Kitchen with 2 Drawers, 2 Burner Wedgewood Stainless Steel Stove with Stainless Cover by Atwood, Stainless Steel Sink with Hot & Cold Faucet

Our trailer has these added options:
  • Custom Color Powder Coating - Covert Green
  • Tailgate with Spare Tire mount & Stainless drop down table.
  • UCF Spare Spindle
  • 48”x32” Nose Box, 45” Side Box, 25” Side Box
  • 1 Battery Electrical System Upgrade
  • Modified Sine Wave Inverter Package
  • Additional Charge Port
  • 90 Watt Rollable Solar Panel
  • Boat Rack - 100lbs capacity
  • Foxwing 270 Degree Awning
  • 2 - Foxwing Tapered Awning Extensions
  • Stainless Steel Slide Up Awning Brackets
  • CVT Mt McKinley RTT
  • Grill Tank
  • Max Coupler
  • 2" Ball Mount for Max Coupler
  • 2 - RotoPax 4 Gallon Fuel Can
  • 2 - RotoPax Deluxe Mount
  • 3 - Stealth Custom Series Wheels
  • 3 - BFG KO2's in 275/70R17
You can build your own at this link and get a rough quote: Turtleback Trailers
They're also offering financing now as low as 2.99% which makes it even more enticing!

As to our final price... we don't kiss and tell ;) Suffice it to say, when you sell your house and live in a camper full-time... you have more funds for adventure gear!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
They sell the base models (actually nicely loaded) for 13,995.00
Here's whats in the base model:

Full Steel Trailer 2x3 Perimeter Box Frame, 3500# stub UCF Flexride Rubber Torsion axles 2750# Springs, 10" Electric Brakes, 16" Steel Wheels, 265/70-16 AT Tires, Forward and Aft Receiver Hitch on Frame, Bedliner Coated Chassis, 0.050" White Aluminum Skin, 2 Side and 1 Rear Compartment Doors w/ Matching Keys, LED Lighting, 20# Propane Tank with Stainless Steel Bracket, Deka Group 24 AGM Marine Battery in Box with Blue Sea Fused Terminal Block, Blue Sea Systems® Marine Grade Electrical Components, 4 Rail Cargo Bar Roof Rack, 2000# Swing Away Tongue Jack with Foot, Safety Chains, 7 Way Flat Trailer Plug Wired to: Running, Brake, Turn Charge Line & Trailer Brakes, Interior Lighting in Cargo Area and Kitchen, 42 Gallon Fresh Water Tank Food Grade, BPA Free Construction, Flowjet 12v Demand Water Pump, Atwood 6 Gallon DSI Water Heater, Exterior Shower, Baltic Birch Pantry Drawer in Kitchen Area, Baltic Birch Slide Out Kitchen with 2 Drawers, 2 Burner Wedgewood Stainless Steel Stove with Stainless Cover by Atwood, Stainless Steel Sink with Hot & Cold Faucet

Our trailer has these added options:
  • Custom Color Powder Coating - Covert Green
  • Tailgate with Spare Tire mount & Stainless drop down table.
  • UCF Spare Spindle
  • 48”x32” Nose Box, 45” Side Box, 25” Side Box
  • 1 Battery Electrical System Upgrade
  • Modified Sine Wave Inverter Package
  • Additional Charge Port
  • 90 Watt Rollable Solar Panel
  • Boat Rack - 100lbs capacity
  • Foxwing 270 Degree Awning
  • 2 - Foxwing Tapered Awning Extensions
  • Stainless Steel Slide Up Awning Brackets
  • CVT Mt McKinley RTT
  • Grill Tank
  • Max Coupler
  • 2" Ball Mount for Max Coupler
  • 2 - RotoPax 4 Gallon Fuel Can
  • 2 - RotoPax Deluxe Mount
  • 3 - Stealth Custom Series Wheels
  • 3 - BFG KO2's in 275/70R17
You can build your own at this link and get a rough quote: Turtleback Trailers
They're also offering financing now as low as 2.99% which makes it even more enticing!

As to our final price... we don't kiss and tell ;) Suffice it to say, when you sell your house and live in a camper full-time... you have more funds for adventure gear!
Dude...you and your family are awesome! So glad to know you.

I reached out to Dave, and he's going to try to roll out to the Off the Grid a Rally.

M

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

Great looking set-up you have there. Can't wait to see the photos and read the report of the first trip you guys take in it.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@administrator Haha, well thanks! Ditto!

Oh... Dave is gonna cost you some money...

@deeker Thanks! We hope to get some more detailed pics and video this weekend if the weather holds! Heck, even if it doesn't hold..

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@Steve Has your name written all over it!
It even has the same 2011 Forester XT wheels that my Outback is wearing. No price yet, but I suspect only a couple grand less than the full size. I still keep thinking that for solo use, the Taxa Cricket has it all, including indoor kitchen and head. Deb has no interest, though...

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@Steve I believe it will actually be more... From what Dave said, the aluminum frame and welding were much more expensive. Good thing you have a 4Runner on the way and can handle the regular size! ;)

Reactions: Steve

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

That is pretty impressive. Besides funds I've never wanted a trailer. However I keep seeing these and man it is growing on me.
@stoney126 I wasn't in the market either, until I saw one at Expo West 2015. I'm pretty damn picky when it comes to quality and this product impressed me so much that I started researching it and its competitors. Nothing could come close to the bang-for-buck value when you consider the construction, suspension, and available options.

I was pretty set on an AT Horizon, but these are growing on me! Looks great!
@rixham I also looked very hard at the AT's but when I compared at what I was getting from Turtleback for just a couple grand more on the base-build, it was a no-brainer. I believe the AT's might be a bit lighter, but other than that I felt the Turtleback had the greatest value.

Another reason I went with the Turtleback was the fact I couldn't find any used ones! If someone listed one, it was gone in a matter of days with a decent resale value to boot. Not that I plan on selling... EVER. But if I needed to, the resale value helped ease the pain of writing that check.

rixham

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Frederick, MD
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Rixham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3NAZ
@stringtwelve Hopefully they will be at Expo East this year. I really want to play with one, I've been all over the AT, but if this is just as good It's worth a look. Lighter maybe better if I was running a Wrangler, but with the 4Runner, I am not that worried about the weight.

Thanks for the feedback!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I was pretty set on an AT Horizon, but these are growing on me! Looks great!
You should look at both. The Turtleback is slightly more expensive (depending on the options you select with the AT). I think you get a much better kitchen, more water storage, shower, hot water heater and a few other things. Always a good idea to visit the shops if possible for an in person comparison. The Overland Expo is also a great place to shop and compare with many of the manufacturers. Turtleback will have a display area and their trailers may be parked at a few other vendor sites.

I own a DIY trailer that I built with friends. It has many of the same internal components as the Turtleback trailer along with the same kitchen, doors, side boxes, and a modified roof rack. I have 4 friends that own Turtlebacks (the list is growing). We go out all the time and they are built for a lifetime of enjoyment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

You should look at both. The Turtleback is slightly more expensive (depending on the options you select with the AT). I think you get a much better kitchen, more water storage, shower, hot water heater and a few other things. Always a good idea to visit the shops if possible for an in person comparison. The Overland Expo is also a great place to shop and compare with many of the manufacturers. Turtleback will have a display area and their trailers may also be parked at a few other vendor sites.
@rixham Dave with Turtleback Trailers said he is going to have ready-to-go units at Expo West... so bring your checkbook too! ;-)

Reactions: rixham