Turning a utility bed into a space ship!

• HTML tutorial

Alpha Out Front

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Raymond
Last Name
Armenta
Lots of people have done utility bed builds but never like this. I'm going to use an eight foot box and add three feet to the front that I will use as a bathroom. I plan on building the frame and using CRS2 suspension from cruise master. I will do my best to stuff 37s on it to match my truck but I will most likely end up with 35s. It will have all the adventure trailer things like solar, water ect, but will also have ac and heat. Not sure what style rear door I want just yet so you wont see that in the drawings. I plan on getting started in January.

frontside.PNGpassside veiw.PNGpasssidewithrear.PNGrearprofile.PNGrearside.PNGsideprofile.PNGtopdown.PNGtopprofile.PNG

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
looks like a great idea. i wonder if a roll up door would work for you...they make all kinds of sizes
love the larger bathroom up front, wives and girlfriends would really appreciate that on trips

a roll up door could be a space saver depending on how you have the inside ceiling set up
keep us posted and good luck!

1637664576030.png

Last edited:

Alpha Out Front

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Raymond
Last Name
Armenta
looks like a great idea. i wonder if a roll up door would work for you...they make all kinds of sizes
love the larger bathroom up front, wives and girlfriends would really appreciate that on trips

a roll up door could be a space saver depending on how you have the inside ceiling set up
keep us posted and good luck!

View attachment 216665
Roll up is a good idea, I will look into it.

Reactions: grubworm

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Good choice on the CRS2.
That's one of the few trailing arm suspensions you can swap the springs around on. Personally I would opt for the air bag on them.

Reactions: Alpha Out Front

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Roll up is a good idea, I will look into it.
Look at beverage delivery vans, you'll never overload it.
They all have roll up side doors but they might be a bit big. Most are built to hold a full pallet of Coke or Pepsi or Water.

Alpha Out Front

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Raymond
Last Name
Armenta
Finished the render, I order some small stuff like the solar set up and some KC cyclones for interior and exterior lighting. I went with basic Renongy kit, 100Ah with a single panel, no inverter. This may change but I'm also looking at an Eco flow set up for the house and it can pull double duty and run the AC and fridge on the trailer when its time to camp.

cpfrontside.PNGcprear.PNGcprearside.PNGcptop.PNGcptruckandtrailer.PNG

Reactions: Shahn and lhoffm4

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Finished the render, I order some small stuff like the solar set up and some KC cyclones for interior and exterior lighting. I went with basic Renongy kit, 100Ah with a single panel, no inverter. This may change but I'm also looking at an Eco flow set up for the house and it can pull double duty and run the AC and fridge on the trailer when its time to camp.

View attachment 217657View attachment 217658View attachment 217659View attachment 217660View attachment 217661
This set of images, especially with the tow vehicle, really solidifies the visual. Given that, I assume your overall height is rendered to compliment the tow vehicle primarily for the purposes of cutting down on wind-shear? Might I suggest adjusting it to be slightly taller? I've owned a tool-bed and had a topper on it for keeping stuff out of the weather. I'm 5'7", and still had to stoop significantly when I was in the bed of the truck, moving/retrieving gear and tools. I HATED THAT! Every time I had to climb in there, I wished it was taller, if only by 6-10 inches. If you have a sleeping platform/bed in there, you will appreciate being able to sit up fully on the bed and NOT have to lean to one side, assuming the bed is as tall as the wheel well to allow for storage under it. Since you are building the shell, and you are putting a shower stall in front of the trailer body, a taller roofline will also make it easier and more comfortable to stand in there. You can increase the approach angle of the nose to still benefit from the wind. You can also use an old trucker's idea and put a scoop on your tow vehicle that also directs airflow upward so the perception of lost mileage is addressed. JMHO.

Alpha Out Front

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Raymond
Last Name
Armenta
What are you thinking on projected weight?
I have no idea. I want to make it out of steel because I can weld that myself. Just the eight foot bed will be about a 1000 pounds on its own before I add anything. I would guess close to 3100 fully loaded with water.

Alpha Out Front

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Raymond
Last Name
Armenta
This set of images, especially with the tow vehicle, really solidifies the visual. Given that, I assume your overall height is rendered to compliment the tow vehicle primarily for the purposes of cutting down on wind-shear? Might I suggest adjusting it to be slightly taller? I've owned a tool-bed and had a topper on it for keeping stuff out of the weather. I'm 5'7", and still had to stoop significantly when I was in the bed of the truck, moving/retrieving gear and tools. I HATED THAT! Every time I had to climb in there, I wished it was taller, if only by 6-10 inches. If you have a sleeping platform/bed in there, you will appreciate being able to sit up fully on the bed and NOT have to lean to one side, assuming the bed is as tall as the wheel well to allow for storage under it. Since you are building the shell, and you are putting a shower stall in front of the trailer body, a taller roofline will also make it easier and more comfortable to stand in there. You can increase the approach angle of the nose to still benefit from the wind. You can also use an old trucker's idea and put a scoop on your tow vehicle that also directs airflow upward so the perception of lost mileage is addressed. JMHO.
The height was simply "if my tall ass truck makes under I know the trailer will too". The trailer in the model is currently at 7'2 at the peak and is just under 14 feet long. The front box is really just meant to serve as a pooper and is 5'2 at the midpoint. Its not a shower because I really don't want to carry that much water nor do I want to add a water heater, I'm a big Shower Pouch guy. The inside of the trailer is just sleeping quarters and will have an air mattress on floor. The entrance is only 3'10 and the taller end is 4'6, so I will defiantly be crawling in but still has room to sit up. I suppose I could cut the floor and lower it to get extra head room.

Last week I did design a "camper" out of a utility bed and its overall height is 8'11. The Human model is 6'3, I'm only 5'8, I just can't make him smaller lol.

scalemodel.PNGcampexray.PNGrearmodelstanding.PNG

Reactions: lhoffm4

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
The height was simply "if my tall ass truck makes under I know the trailer will too". The trailer in the model is currently at 7'2 at the peak and is just under 14 feet long. The front box is really just meant to serve as a pooper and is 5'2 at the midpoint. Its not a shower because I really don't want to carry that much water nor do I want to add a water heater, I'm a big Shower Pouch guy. The inside of the trailer is just sleeping quarters and will have an air mattress on floor. The entrance is only 3'10 and the taller end is 4'6, so I will defiantly be crawling in but still has room to sit up. I suppose I could cut the floor and lower it to get extra head room.

Last week I did design a "camper" out of a utility bed and its overall height is 8'11. The Human model is 6'3, I'm only 5'8, I just can't make him smaller lol.

View attachment 217690View attachment 217688View attachment 217689
Nice! Are you going to pull two trailers at once or is that last image just for scale and concept? You are quite handy with your CAD program!

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

An option that might work for you is a roof hatch/pop up for extra height. Almost did that for our mini camper before swapping the cots for a proper mattress on the floor of the trailer.