Tunnel Camp Ghost Town, Seven Troughs Range, Nevada

• HTML tutorial

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno

What kind of person leaves a perfectly comfortable modern home in the city, drives out the interstate to a lonely road, to a lonelier road, to a dirt road to a two track and finally stops, gets out to gaze with reverence upon, explore and photograph a wrecked and abandoned mining town at the foot of a mountain range nobody’s ever heard of?

I have to admit, I’m not quite sure. Perhaps I’ll know someday. If this sounds like you, stay with us.

This place where you can camp and walk unperturbed, by living souls at least, is called Tunnel Camp. The mining district and mountain rage are called Seven Troughs and if you take Interstate 80, itself a piece of American history roughly following the California Trail and the Lincoln Highway, out near the town of Lovelock, NV then head northwest on NV399 you’ll find a dirt road that will take you right to it.

Though a latecomer to the once well populated district of Seven Troughs, Tunnel Camp is the only one still standing as of 2019. To the East is Vernon, a population center once so vibrant it had a post office, but now is marked only by flat spots in the rocky ground, a few crumbling rock foundations and a label on the map. Some structures from Vernon were hauled to Tunnel Camp and may well remain there still, at least bits and pieces.

To the north is Mazuma, also labeled on the map at the mouth of Seven Troughs Canyon, which was washed away in a flood in 1912. The 9 victims of which have rested in the cemetery below the townsite of Tunnel Camp these 107 years.

Tunnel Camp was and is a dream. In 1927 the site was planned for mills, both stamp, ball and cyanide to process ore from the unified mining operations in the adjacent canyons. The plan was to build a tunnel through the mountain to drain the Seven Troughs, Coalition, Fairview, and Mazuma hills mines which had encountered high water flows in their excavation and were in various states of inundation. It also was hoped to be a conduit to transport the ore out to the planned milling operations at Tunnel Camp.

While several mills were erected and operated at Tunnel Camp, the Tunnel was never functional as it was misaligned and did not connect to the mines it was intended to drain. One can assume that the large plug of debris above the townsite as well as the several terraced reservoirs in the drainage next to town are fill material taken from the mine.

Either way, much of the foundation of the old cyanide mill remains below an iron 5 stamp mill which is below one of several large ore hoppers in the area. The roads and drainages in the Seven Troughs Range are littered with these elevated wooden hoppers which metered ore into the stamp mills for crushing, though most of the mills are now gone.

In the Townsite of Tunnel Camp 6 buildings yet remain along with two hoppers, two dugouts, and countless foundations, platforms and random unidentifiable structures. I’m not sure how many souls resided there in the past, but at least the 9 killed in the Mazuma Flood, are still there. According to some they continue to haunt the derelict structures of what’s left of the town.

Above town there is the foundation of the power plant which housed several diesel generators. There are several super creepy dugouts one with clothing hanging from the rafters like a changing room for spirits. The other has 4 bunks on one wall that have junky old mattresses stuffed in them. The very idea of sleeping in there should make you shudder and zip up your hoodie. There are several ore hoppers which fed mills only one of which remains.

I’m not sure what the buildings remaining used to be except the large red brick structure with continues to crumble. It was once the office for the mining operations in the area.

Camping and Overlanding in the Seven Troughs

For the overlander the Seven Troughs Range is a gold mine. Roads criss-cross the canyons and there are many structures, artifacts and canyons to explore. We spend a day of our trip making the loop to Seven Troughs Canyon, up and over the pass by Signal Peak and then down to the site of Vernon. It’s a fairly easy loop for a moderately equipped 4x4. It would be a good loop on a mountain bike or a ATV as well.

For sight seeing, it’s hard to beat the view of the sunrise over the Humboldt Range to the east and the sunsets are amazing. While you can camp wherever you want, the best place is the flat area of mine tailings above the town. From there you can walk to all of the interesting structures and artifacts left at Tunnel Camp. I have seen people camp right there in town, which is not my choice for reasons discussed below.

If this site isn’t to your liking for camping, Vernon, to the west would be good, as would Mazuma, though they never did find that last body from the flood…

Seven Troughs Ghosts

Though it should go without saying, Tunnel Camp Ghost Town is haunted. The 9 people, several of which were children, who died in the flood of 1912 could, for all we know, still be restlessly inhabiting the town and graveyard where they were laid to rest.

There’s also the theory that a woman named Nan Dixon who came to the area looking for her brother who lived there with his family in 1978 and apparently owed her money. Nan drove her very-un-overland Datson B210 to collect the $6000. I don’t know where he was supposedly living, but perhaps hiding out in a trailer like several others seem to be doing in the valley below Tunnel Camp still today.

"One theory is that her disappearance is connected to alleged air drops of illegal drugs in the Seven Troughs area; perhaps she witnessed one and was killed as a result.” -Charley Project

Her car was found by hunters 4 years after her disappearance with various bits of evidence found inside, none of which conclusive of her fate. Her case remains unsolved.

For all I know the ghost stories are true. If you’re interested you can find a bunch of hokey videos on YouTube discussing the matter. For my part, I believe in ghosts. They could be spirits who haven’t found respite in the afterlife. They could be ghosts we take with us everywhere we go who only come out in places like this. They could just be donkeys braying in the wind high up the mountain.

I have to admit, I’m not quite sure. Perhaps I’ll know someday.

History of Seven Troughs and Tunnel Camp

The information in this video was found online in various places including.

Nevada Expeditions is website maintained by a Northern Nevada Native who loves exploring and photographing ghost towns named Austin. Lots of great info there.

Friends of the Black Rock High Rock is a public land stewardship group focused on conservation and education of the Black Rock Desert Region of Northern Nevada.

Forgotten Nevada is a compendium of information on out of the way places in nevada maintained by Bob Frenchu and Luis Ramirez. They have pages for dozens of cool historical sites all over Central Nevada with photos, maps and information.

GhostTowns.com is a pretty old school website with info on ghost towns all over the United States. They have a forum which may be useful in getting info on ghost towns as well.

SilgerstateGhostTowns is an archive of Nevada ghost town info and photography by Warren Willis Sr., a retired naval officer from Las Vegas, who now lives in Utah. The website is a great resource for overlanders looking for ghost towns.

Photos by Steve Hamel

Some of the photos used here and in our social media and blog posts about Seven Troughs are by Steve Hamel. We had a blast with Steven and his little girl on this trip as they trundled down the road in their custom painted Jeep Cherokee. You can see more of his work at http://www.hamelstudio.com . And yes, Steve did in fact step on a rusty nail.

Thanks for watching.

Happy Trails!

Ashton

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Near the Rubicon
First Name
Hari
Last Name
See Above
high quality shots. took full advantage of my 1080p. I love the colors of nevada, they seem on an epic scale when not blunted by vegetation.

Reactions: Wolfy

renodemona

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TCT
Great Video work as usual, Just visited the area this weekend still as awesome as ever!

Reactions: Wolfy

kwinners

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor III

Reno, Nevada, USA
First Name
Kallie
Last Name
Winners
Member #

Service Branch
Veteran, US Navy
I've been up and around that area... really fun place to explore.