Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

So I sold my ram 1500. Was wrecked pretty bad sept 9th. Insurance fixed it but after twisting my arm i decided to sell it sense it was wrecked. Looking at a 06 tundra to replace it. Its a smaller frame than the current gen tundra has a V8

Was wondering what you tundra guys like about yours. For a 06. Its got a 100k on it but is in mint condition.

Let me know

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
I've got a '14, but absolutely love it. They're pretty much bullet proof all around, so 100k is just getting broken in as long as the routine maintenance has been done. Although I don't believe 2006 was one of the years that was covered, you might want check for info regarding frame recalls for rust issues from back in the day. I know there was an issue at one point around the early 2000's.
One forum suggestion would be tundratalk.net to get the scoop on them. There is a subforum for the 1st gens that should cover you pretty well and just lots of good info and how-to stuff in general. I've gotten a lot of great info from the site over the years.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
'06 Tundra is a good year, the 2UZ V8 / 4.7L is a great engine, and is now known as the "Million Mile Motor" because there was a customer that drove one running oil rig parts for over 1,000,000 miles. This one was an '07, but the engine is essentially the same. If it's taken care of, that's not an unusual goal.
If you're OK with what we always called the 7/8ths truck, it's a good choice, the crewmax is the most desirable, especially with a family, but the 4 door short cab is the best bed / cab proportion IMO.

Good luck! Dan.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Thank you for the input. Those hotshot’s run a-lot of miles. But yeah i am thinking that its still a half ton truck kinda but its not the size of a tacoma. It drove nice the fella that had it just used it to drive to the golf course and back so not tough miles and kept it in a garage.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Thank you for the input. Those hotshot’s run a-lot of miles. But yeah i am thinking that its still a half ton truck kinda but its not the size of a tacoma. It drove nice the fella that had it just used it to drive to the golf course and back so not tough miles and kept it in a garage.
Low miles is not always a good thing. A lot of short trips are, in my opinion, worse than higher miles where long drives were common. I would rather buy a high-mile vehicle if I knew that it had been used on, say a long commute, as long as it had been taken care of and serviced regularly.

Many short trips means that the car was started and stopped more frequently, and quite likely there were many times during those stop/start cycles that the engine was not allowed to come up to full temperature before being shut off. That creates a lot of wear.
Also, it seems that those types of drivers see that they should change their oil either according to the factory recommendations, or even if it was at the minimum of 3,000 miles (according to Jiffy Lube, right?) that it went a long time (not miles though) before even the oil was changed. Oil degrades with age as well as with wear and contamination. 6 months or 5,000 miles! There's my opinion for you. And I put less than 10,000 mi/year on several different cars that I drive.

There, there's my 2 cents against low mile vehicles. :grinning:

Dan.