Traveler III

San Jose CA 95123
First Name
Alfredo
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

What's the best platform to overland?

I have two options to build a rig. 2016 tundra and a 94 land cruiser with triple lockers. Base on experience overlanders, what is the best platform to go with?

Any advice or recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Merry Christmas!!!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
My BIL is attempting to figure out a way to have an RTT, atop a water proof and dust/dirt proof stowage area down below for battery system, fridge, kitchen, etc, etc for his new Chevy pick up. I have a triple locked 80. Admittedly, the 80 has been a labor of love over the years but it has never let me sit, save one time and that was my error. When the time comes I’ll rebuild the entire driveline for about half the cost of a new vehicle. If for no other reason though, I’ll choose a wagon over a pick up every time simply because of cleanliness. I can’t imagine the amount of dust/dirt/grime that everything in the back of a pickup accumulates. On second thought, yes I can. I drove pick up trucks exclusively for nearly 30 years and will never go back. Just my opinion garnered from a lifetime of driving all kinds of farm, commercial, pleasure and big trucks coupled with our desire to live outside while we “overland” instead of inside a camper.

A 94 80 series will be 27 years old. No matter the condition, you will have a lot of maintenance and repairs to do to make it a reliable offroad rig.
If you really want a 80 series, and can recondition it or afford to have it reconditioned, than get one. They aren't getting any newer and they certainly aren't making more.

If you really want something to get out and camp with, than a 2016 is going to need a lot less to get started with the business of outfitting for camping. The Tundra is certainly a solid, powerful platform. Far more power than the 80.

Depends on what you want, can afford and plans. Merry Christmas!

Line guru

Rank IV

Traveler III

San Jose CA 95123
First Name
Alfredo
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Thank you all very much. They all are very valid points. I probably will end up selling the Land Cruiser and using the money to build the Tundra ..

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

Thank you all very much. They all are very valid points. I probably will end up selling the Land Cruiser and using the money to build the Tundra ..

I just posted a thread on my 100 series build up and my shift away from the full size f250. I agree with the LC comments above.. and also with the dust in the back of the truck comments above. one of my reasons to do the LC was the dust issue. as far as power.. do a repower. drop a chevy LS in it and rock out. power in the lc isn't really important as gearing. I had a 4 cy YJ that I had for years that had no issues on the trail... highway was a pain but running a trail or a ranch. perfect.

When my 100 series V8 pukes. I'll rebuild the driveline.. why? cost of new vehicle. I put down a deposit on a new Defender 100.. and agonized over it for about 3 weeks, At the end of the day... you can't have a daily diver trail rig as a commuter car. the worlds are too far apart. So why do the poser thing? If you have a paid off 4x4.. build it up. if you want a great street car.. go buy one. but try to keep them separate if you can.

Reactions: Line guru

Line guru

Rank IV

Traveler III

San Jose CA 95123
First Name
Alfredo
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

I just posted a thread on my 100 series build up and my shift away from the full size f250. I agree with the LC comments above.. and also with the dust in the back of the truck comments above. one of my reasons to do the LC was the dust issue. as far as power.. do a repower. drop a chevy LS in it and rock out. power in the lc isn't really important as gearing. I had a 4 cy YJ that I had for years that had no issues on the trail... highway was a pain but running a trail or a ranch. perfect.

When my 100 series V8 pukes. I'll rebuild the driveline.. why? cost of new vehicle. I put down a deposit on a new Defender 100.. and agonized over it for about 3 weeks, At the end of the day... you can't have a daily diver trail rig as a commuter car. the worlds are too far apart. So why do the poser thing? If you have a paid off 4x4.. build it up. if you want a great street car.. go buy one. but try to keep them separate if you can.
I am new at this. That's why I am trying to get some help to make a decision. Somehow the 80 series landed on my lap already with a lift, front bumper and winch on it. Rock sliders were just installed. My next move was going to be the back bumper mostly cause for now the spare tire is inside the rig since I don't have a place for it.

Hopefully I'm set for next spring or summer to do a few runs in the great outdoors.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

I am new at this. That's why I am trying to get some help to make a decision. Somehow the 80 series landed on my lap already with a lift, front bumper and winch on it. Rock sliders were just installed. My next move was going to be the back bumper mostly cause for now the spare tire is inside the rig since I don't have a place for it.

Hopefully I'm set for next spring or summer to do a few runs in the great outdoors.

how many miles on the 80??

Line guru

Rank IV

Traveler III

San Jose CA 95123
First Name
Alfredo
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

how many miles on the 80??
194k engine was just rebuilt after blowing a gasket

Garlic Overlander

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Gilroy, CA
First Name
Jarad
Last Name
Derosa
Member #

My .02 on the matter is it comes mostly down to where you want to be able to go versus how much to you want to take with you. The 80 can take you almost anywhere from mild to wild. The Tundra is larger so you can bring more gear but it will be more limited on the places it can both fit and clear. It is 100% a personal decision. Since both are Toyota’s you have solid, tried and true reliability. Obviously older vehicles have more wear so more maintenance. I think you will be happy with whatever you choose.

Jeremy M.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mascoutah, IL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JTM
Service Branch
Army
The 80 is legendary, it the age alone makes the Tundra a better choice.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

194,000 miles hmm. It’s just now broken in.. the 80 was engineered to last 500,000 miles.

agreed. its obvious the people who comment about the 'age' of the LC's know nothing about the engineering that toyota put into the land cruiser dna in the 70/80 and 100 series LC's. I'm not so sure on the 200 series... but largely if you have a key. your land cruiser will run.

This is a totally different situation than your first post. It made it sound like you were deciding between buying a 80 or Tundra.

Since you already have the 80, and it's partially built, with relatively low miles, than the only things you need to do is a lot of maintenance.
Visit ih8mud.com 80 series forum and read up. That will save you a lot of money compared to a mechanic.
You will also want that familiarity with the mechanicals, should anything happen out in the field.

27 years is 27 years. Things need to be replaced. You have to consider things as consumables: coolant hoses, pipes, plastic fittings, vac hoses, gaskets, bearings, seals , brakes, hoses, etc etc.
All are meant to replaced on an interval. These need to be done, and inspected. Otherwise, you're just playing a lottery.

agreed. its obvious the people who comment about the 'age' of the LC's know nothing about the engineering that toyota put into the land cruiser dna in the 70/80 and 100 series LC's. I'm not so sure on the 200 series... but largely if you have a key. your land cruiser will run.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

27 years is 27 years. Things need to be replaced. You have to consider things as consumables: coolant hoses, pipes, plastic fittings, vac hoses, gaskets, bearings, seals , brakes, hoses, etc etc.
All are meant to replaced on an interval. These need to be done, and inspected. Otherwise, you're just playing a lottery.

i just did my alternator, which also means a new radiator (as per recommendations from all), which meant hoses, while I did it I also pulled all the small hoses (vacuum) and other. discount oem parts. total cost 550.00. good for 225k miles. The engine has 148k miles on it.. all cylinders pull spec pressure test. I'll likely do plugs, wires, etc.. in a few months. another 500.00. all up my PM will cost 2300.00 this year. vs. 100k for a new rig and build. sorry... economics just still favor the LC. since I've owned the thing since 15k miles.. I know its had all synthetic lubes, maint was done on time and before failure. those things matter. a known truck.. is a known truck. and economics still push the LC to the front over most anything.

I bought the F250 because I was afraid of age.. after 3 years and 14,500 a year for payments, 13k in up fit, I'm upside down when I sell it.... I'm not afraid of the age anymore on a truck that will see 7500 miles a year on heavy travel years. the f250 only saw 18k miles a year... a non-daily driver that's 22 years old (as mine is) isn't much of a worry.

We are saying the same things. However I am responding to your comment
people who comment about the 'age' of the LC's know nothing about the engineering t...largely if you have a key. your land cruiser will run.
Replacing all the consumables is needed, that needs to be figured into a 27 yr old vehicle. Just because it's a 80 doesn't mean it will be reliable and continue to be.
All i'm saying is, exactly what I said. You have to keep up on all the consumables.

The economics of it were not my point of discussion.
Also, I said as much in the post just above what you quoted.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Sensible comments on the age of the 80, however also on its capability, better access to some places, etc. I'd follow the advice of others who've said fix the 80 and expect to do some maintenance. We had an 80 in Africa for 2 years, took it all around Southern and Eastern Africa, and it did a great job. Yes - we had to replace the radiator, front differential, and A/C fan motor, but I wouldn't take a Tundra on the same trip.