Trying to Decide on Which Roof Top Tent to Buy - HELP!!!

• HTML tutorial

bshearin

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Los Angeles, CA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Shearin
Member #

I have a 2019 Subaru Outback and I am trying to decide on a RTT that would be best for my vehicle. I know that Outbacks aren't the most popular adventure vehicles in Overland Circles, but it's what I have. I going to be putting an aftermarket roof rack on it - of course.

I am currently looking at the two models below and each has their own merits - but my main focus is getting the tent that will best fit my vehicle.

Thule Tepui Explorer Autana 3 with Annex and the Thule Tepui Explorer Kukenam 3.

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 8.04.31 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 8.05.49 PM.png

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of these tents in general? Am I lucky enough to have an Outback owner know if one should be chosen over the other for any technical or specification reasons?

ANY AND ALL INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

A guy just posted this ....

media.jpg

An RTT you can load alone, store in a closet and under a $1K.

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I will say from experience that you want the Autana 3 with Annex . When misting or raining you 'll understand completely. Also, just the small amount of privacy you get from backing down the ladder is well worth the price of admission... just my thoughts.

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
There are RTT's that mount directly to the gutters without the need for a roof rack. Also, aluminum hard shell RTT designs save significant weight and less road height. Food for thought.

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

Is it just me or do the tents that stick out past the vehicle just look like a failure point?
I am interested in a tent for my roof, but I see these as a week point.
the hard shell tent just looks easier to set up and take down, but it also looks to me to be a more stable base.
Not looking at getting one right now, but I may add it to my trailer in the future to allow additional persons to come along.
I can just see a person, or persons sleeping on day and it fail and they go falling. link ----> HyBox

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

We have the kukenam 4 ruggedized, it is way faster to set up and store than the autana, it weights a lot though (because of the ruggedized materials, aluminum plate etc..) making my rig a bit top heavy.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I come from a mountaineering and backpacking background, so I look at tents a bit more critically. It depends are what you are going to with you tent. If you are fair weather camping the Tepui would be great. It is a 3 season tent at best, I have looked at them very closely and the construction is OK nothing special. Many of the hard sided are better built. (IMO) I have no idea about the other, but I stay away from cots. It’s you choice, the reason I love something, is why you hate it. Remember you can always sell and purchase something else.