Enthusiast II

Yeppoon QLD, Australia
First Name
Ewan
Last Name
Winter
Member #

Hello!!

I’m currently looking at truck caps for my 14 GMC Sierra. The end goal is to run our RTT on top, wondering if anybody knows if this Leer cap can handle the weight.

Attachments

Reactions: Lil Bear

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Not sure I would want the weight of 2 people, any gear, and the tent up on the top of a Leer topper all night. I have a Thule TracRac style on top of mine that is supposedly good to hold 500 pounds. Then again, that rack system is meant to be gutter mounted to a metal roof of a full size van.

Not sure I'd feel good with more than 300 pounds up the there. It's just fiberglass shell. No real frame inside. Maybe someone with more professional knowledge will chime in

Attachments

Reactions: WanderingWinters

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Yeah I'd only put a RTT on a topper if the topper was reinforced from the inside out, which I've seen.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Upon more consideration even 300 pounds seems like a lot. Id probably feel OK with 200 pounds. Mainly I'm putting up 2 kayaks. Or maybe a spare wheel - usually not at the same time. I know the rack system can take more than that, but there just isnt anything substantial supporting the wide flat expanse of roof of these Leer tops.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

Hello!!

I’m currently looking at truck caps for my 14 GMC Sierra. The end goal is to run our RTT on top, wondering if anybody knows if this Leer cap can handle the weight.
I've seen a few rigs set up with the truck toppers and a RTT, but are they really supposed to hold and carry that kind of weight? I kinda think i'd like to have one for my Titan but I worry about the structural integrity with it being loaded on top. If it was just myself all the time that would be one thing but not the case.

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
I can't tell what model that is, but I looked into weight limits on Leer caps a while back since I have one myself. Wasn't looking to add a RTT, just wanted to know how much I could carry up there (center of gravity concerns aside). Unreinforced fiberglass Leer caps have a limit of 120 lbs (sheer load limit). The reinforced ones have up around 300, from what I recall. Can you load more than that as a static load? Probably. Would I want to risk it? Nope.

If that one is reinforced, and you and the ole lady aren't of the hefty sortm you'd probably be alright with a RTT. If not reinforced, I couldn't recommend it.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Hello!!

I had a fiberglass Gull Wing Leer on my F150. Mine is not be rated for the weight of two adults.

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Hello!!

I've owned two fiberglass toppers. Neither of them could carry a load like that. They're just not designed for all of that weight from above...not even close.

Reactions: Mr. McPickle

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I can't tell what model that is, but I looked into weight limits on Leer caps a while back since I have one myself. Wasn't looking to add a RTT, just wanted to know how much I could carry up there (center of gravity concerns aside). Unreinforced fiberglass Leer caps have a limit of 120 lbs (sheer load limit). The reinforced ones have up around 300, from what I recall. Can you load more than that as a static load? Probably. Would I want to risk it? Nope.

If that one is reinforced, and you and the ole lady aren't of the hefty sortm you'd probably be alright with a RTT. If not reinforced, I couldn't recommend it.
At a 300 pound load limit, a 200 pound man and a 100 pound woman arrive at the threshold. Now add a 100 + pound RTT and whatever you have up there for gear, and you are likely to find yourself waking up in the bed of the truck some morning, or at least weakening the top and reducing its longevity.

I've seen tubular racks with flat mounts that will mount at the stake holes. Put that on, and they are wide enough to fit the cap in between them and rest on the bed rails, so you have some sort of exoskeleton that mounts under the cap, but comes out from under and wraps closely to the shape of the cap and crates a strong roof rack system around and above the cap. Putting an RTT on one of those seems more sensible and robust

Reactions: Mr. McPickle

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
At a 300 pound load limit, a 200 pound man and a 100 pound woman arrive at the threshold. Now add a 100 + pound RTT and whatever you have up there for gear, and you are likely to find yourself waking up in the bed of the truck some morning, or at least weakening the top and reducing its longevity.

I've seen tubular racks with flat mounts that will mount at the stake holes. Put that on, and they are wide enough to fit the cap in between them and rest on the bed rails, so you have some sort of exoskeleton that mounts under the cap, but comes out from under and wraps closely to the shape of the cap and crates a strong roof rack system around and above the cap. Putting an RTT on one of those seems more sensible and robust
The statistics I looked at were shear load limits (I misspelled above). That is the capacity which includes potential horizontal stresses (like you would encounter turning a vehicle at normal driving speeds). Meaning, a reinforced shell with 300 pound capacity could safely support that load not only under stationary conditions, but also with the added g-forces encountered in normal driving conditions. This would logically mean that it would safely hold some higher weight in a static condition, although that is not the basis of their rating.

I agree with your conclusion - I would not want to put an RTT on a camper shell. I was just pointing out that, if it was OP's intention to figure out if it was feasible, it might be if he and his wife are of slighter build. And, assuming neither of them were planning to ride in the RTT while the other is driving the vehicle.

M70Hornet

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Oklahoma, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Davison
Member #

There is big difference between static load limit and dynamic load limit. Check which your load limit of 300# is referring too. Dynamic is the load limit while your driving, maneuvering, etc.

WanderingWinters

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Yeppoon QLD, Australia
First Name
Ewan
Last Name
Winter
Member #

It is a reinforced contractor cap. I looked into this model and the dynamic load is 400lbs. I know that with us and a bit of gear In it were getting close with a 130lb tent....

Tundra Champ

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Auburn, WA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Champney
Member #

If it's a contractor cap it should be fine. I went through this too and decided to make my own steel frame and aluminum siding camper shell.

Reactions: DaleRF