Truck bed rack compatible over trifold tonneau cover?

• HTML tutorial

Overland 5

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Southern Ontario
Member #

Does anyone have a truck bed rack that is compatible with a trifold tonneau cover? I'm looking at:

http://www.kbvoodoo.com/shop/premium-bed-rack
and
https://proline4x4.com/shop/accessories/universal-adjustable-bed-rack/

I've reached out to both of them and learned the following:

kbvoodoo: The brackets are compatible with tonneaus, but maybe not all. They do have a bracket for 25 bucks they can send you to see if it works with your tonneau. If it does, they will discount it off the rack if you buy it. They only have two heights up to 18" which don't work for me since my RTT is longer than my bed length so it has to be able to go over the cab.

proline 4x4: The brackets from the website look like they go over the tonneau, but they had to modify the cover and it's not intended for tonneaus. They guy was super nice and took down my points and he's going to share it with his designer to perhaps modify the design since they've had a lot of interest in tonneau compatible racks.

Lastly, I came across a guy on the F150 forum who fabbed an aluminum rail to work with his trifold. This looks interesting:

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/tonneau-cover-utility-rack-kayaks-355692/index4/
scroll to post #36.

Anyway, looking to see if anyone is walking down this path right now?

MPLUTO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Sammamish, WA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FDA
I've been looking at my options as well. I have an MX4 tonneau on my 5'5" bed - leaning more towards a trailer for a RTT instead of the rack. The kbvoodoo seems to be the only one really made for this application and frankly - its not my favorite option. Your Tacoma has a little more strength in the mounting option / rail than the F150 does (I'd likely be drilling and beefing up some how). Trailer gives me a bit more flexibility although is a limiting factor in other ways.

I am also scratching my head around possible custom fab brackets I could make up but not come up with much yet.

Overland 5

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Southern Ontario
Member #

I've been looking at my options as well. I have an MX4 tonneau on my 5'5" bed - leaning more towards a trailer for a RTT instead of the rack. The kbvoodoo seems to be the only one really made for this application and frankly - its not my favorite option. Your Tacoma has a little more strength in the mounting option / rail than the F150 does (I'd likely be drilling and beefing up some how). Trailer gives me a bit more flexibility although is a limiting factor in other ways.

I am also scratching my head around possible custom fab brackets I could make up but not come up with much yet.
@MPLUTO thanks! Never really considered a trailer option until now. What kind of trailer you thinking about?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

skumancer

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Panama City, Panama
First Name
Ricardo
Last Name
Chavarria
Member #

Just found this thread. I've been working on my custom rack for a few months now. This last weekend was fitting and trying to get the Retrax bed cover to fit with the bed rack. There's very few options out there for roller + bed rack, that's why I went with a custom one.

Hoping to have this finished in the next weekend!

Attachments

Reactions: jbradshaw86

jbradshaw86

Rank I

Contributor III

Sheridan, Wyoming, EE. UU.
First Name
John
Last Name
Roback
Just found this thread. I've been working on my custom rack for a few months now. This last weekend was fitting and trying to get the Retrax bed cover to fit with the bed rack. There's very few options out there for roller + bed rack, that's why I went with a custom one.

So what setup did you get at the end?

skumancer

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Panama City, Panama
First Name
Ricardo
Last Name
Chavarria
Member #

So what setup did you get at the end?
I made my own rack that’s compatible with the retrax tonneau cover.

Attachments

KB Voodoo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Olean, NY
Max Modular racks work with all tonneau covers, including Retrax.

Raptor with Retrax and Bike Mounts, Eville -1.jpg