Trip to the Nevada Desert for 4 days with my wife. Things I should consider?

• HTML tutorial

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

I am taking my wife on her first Overlanding trip. We plan to go in early April, a 4-5 day trip with two camping days. We are taking our Jumping Jack trailer. The trailer is set up and will not have a problem on the trail. We are going to eastern Nevada and visiting a few ghost towns. I am used to Overlanding, but often do it solo or with another friend. This is my wife's first trip, is there anything I should consider? Any recommendations for the desert in April?

Appreciate the advice.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Depending on where in eastern NV, avg temps for the desert in April can be chilly.

You can google as below for the area you're going to, then click Graphs, and see NOAA records for avg temps, rainfall, snowfall, and hours of daylight.

NV-avgtemps-2021-03-02 at 14.41.52.png

And, depending on where you're going and if there are toilet facilities near or not, or if not carrying a portable toilet, you can set up an easy composting toilet (primarily for solids) rather inexpensively. Some gals balk at it, others are super appreciative.

Reactions: Mtnmn99

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Definitely seconding the portable toilet. You can get one of those Cleanwaste toilets and a cheap pop-up stall for under $100 and that is the only creature comfort my wife really requires.

Reactions: Road

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

All set on the toilet. Even have a tent for it.
Definitely seconding the portable toilet. You can get one of those Cleanwaste toilets and a cheap pop-up stall for under $100 and that is the only creature comfort my wife really requires.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I am assuming you want to want to go with you in the future. Make this all out her, you do both the cooking and cleaning. A couple of hot water bottles does wonders for getting the bed pre-warmed. Like Old_man said Chocolate and wine, or what ever floats her boat.
My wife of 32 years never camped before me, with in 2 years she dry camping for weeks and loving it. Small positive affirmations, minimized uncomfortableness, will win the day.

Reactions: Mtnmn99

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

I am assuming you want to want to go with you in the future. Make this all out her, you do both the cooking and cleaning. A couple of hot water bottles does wonders for getting the bed pre-warmed. Like Old_man said Chocolate and wine, or what ever floats her boat.
My wife of 32 years never camped before me, with in 2 years she dry camping for weeks and loving it. Small positive affirmations, minimized uncomfortableness, will win the day.

Great advice. Thank you. We have completed a few weekend trips for a day or two. This will be her first long trip for over 2 days and moving to different spots. I want her to enjoy it, so we can do more in the future.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Not that I have experience traveling in the desert, but from what I understand you should have at least enough water, 1-2 gallons of water, per person, per day. Being out in the desert, I could imagine it'd be very dusty. I'd also bring some gadgets, i.e. Inreach Mini, battery packs, drone, recovery gear, first aid kit.

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Not that I have experience traveling in the desert, but from what I understand you should have at least enough water, 1-2 gallons of water, per person, per day. Being out in the desert, I could imagine it'd be very dusty. I'd also bring some gadgets, i.e. Inreach Mini, battery packs, drone, recovery gear, first aid kit.
Water and other stuff all set. I love the inreach. Still planning and making room.

Reactions: RoarinRow

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Bring Heat. Nevada desert can get really cold at night. When I think eastern Nevada I think about Jarbidge down to about Ely maybe Pioche areas. Jarbidge down to I-80 could still have a lot of snow or mud. Ely in my opinion is the coldest area in Nevada. Keep her warm and comfortable. Late April also starts our rainy season. Storms move in quick. Roads that look dry are sometimes not. High mountain passes in these areas usually stay snowed shut until summer. Other than that spring time is beautiful in Nevada. Let her make decisions and feel involved. Just remember watch the sky and check the ground.

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Bring Heat. Nevada desert can get really cold at night. When I think eastern Nevada I think about Jarbidge down to about Ely maybe Pioche areas. Jarbidge down to I-80 could still have a lot of snow or mud. Ely in my opinion is the coldest area in Nevada. Keep her warm and comfortable. Late April also starts our rainy season. Storms move in quick. Roads that look dry are sometimes not. High mountain passes in these areas usually stay snowed shut until summer. Other than that spring time is beautiful in Nevada. Let her make decisions and feel involved. Just remember watch the sky and check the ground.
Great, advise. Definatly will power up my little buddy heater and blankets to add warmth. We are planning for mid-April, are looking at going to Tunnel and several areas northwest of Lovelock.

BensonSTW

Rank III

Enthusiast III

If I may make a suggestion... not sure how far north of Lovelock you are going, but look up Virgin Valley campground. If you are anywhere near it consider going. 85 degree swimming hole with a shower house. My wife loves it there. Something about getting to travel home showered and clean seems to make the women folk happy. I’ve stopped in there in late November after a 2 week Oregon elk hunt just because it was the first real shower I had in that time. Even then the water felt great. Hope you and her have a great trip.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Warm blankets for over her legs when sitting out, hot Chocolate and you do-most if-not all the cooking and cleaning, if she thinks camping will always
Be work, she may. Ot go again.....

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

Warm blankets for over her legs when sitting out, hot Chocolate and you do-most if-not all the cooking and cleaning, if she thinks camping will always
Be work, she may. Ot go again.....
Thanks. Agree with cleaning. When we went out on an overnight she asked me why don't I do this at home. :)

Reactions: MMc