Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Since I haven't had a real vacation in more than a year (...or two), I might be getting a little excited.

Leaving this weekend, and I've already packed and unpacked the rigs a couple times.

A little difference about this one over the others that I've done, not only am I planning it, and leading it, but both my rigs are going to be on the trail at the same time. This is also the first time that I've had to figure out the gear and the packing for 5 people (and 3 dogs) for 6 days.

It's been a learning experience. I'll have a trip report and photos in the thread when I come back.

I have all the food figured out, fuel stops shouldn't be an issue.

I'm a little paranoid when it comes to water. I'm stuck between a lot, and really a lot... 60 or 80 liters...

The last time I packed things up, I staged it in the garage for how it's going to pack.

I'm open to any advise people might have for leading a trip like this...

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Since I haven't had a real vacation in more than a year (...or two), I might be getting a little excited.

Leaving this weekend, and I've already packed and unpacked the rigs a couple times.

A little difference about this one over the others that I've done, not only am I planning it, and leading it, but both my rigs are going to be on the trail at the same time. This is also the first time that I've had to figure out the gear and the packing for 5 people (and 3 dogs) for 6 days.

It's been a learning experience. I'll have a trip report and photos in the thread when I come back.

I have all the food figured out, fuel stops shouldn't be an issue.

I'm a little paranoid when it comes to water. I'm stuck between a lot, and really a lot... 60 or 80 liters...

The last time I packed things up, I staged it in the garage for how it's going to pack.

I'm open to any advise people might have for leading a trip like this...

Very exciting! I'm happy for you! With water I usually go 3 gallons per person per day (includes wash up and meal prep water) to be safe. We rarely use that much, but water isn't something to run out of. So for you, sounds like 30 gallons + dogs, BUT have to say, research until you are satisfied!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Oh and, water at your destinations and water purification can greatly reduce weight. The 3-per-day rule served me well in Baja with no water source.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

You've reinforced my thinking. I'll be taking all 4 20 liter water containers with me. Unless my math is totally failing me, that's near 22 gallons / 80 liters.

I have water purification for emergencies, and we will be going through civilization once a day, but you're right. Water is one of those things that I'd best not skimp on. It's only 180 pounds of water...

Reactions: Michael

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

You should enjoy this trip. I have completed the AZBDR and UTBDR and am planning on the NMBDR for this year. Those guys that create these routes are good people and really want you to have great scenery while on the trail. I met them last year and their attitude about just getting out is great. One caution I do have is be prepared for snow in the higher country. This was an issue for us in Utah last year along the trail. Hopefully next year I can hit the WABDR or IDBDR.

Have a great trip and I look forward to the photos!

Reactions: Michael